SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
judithn_gw

Thanksgiving?

judithn
11 years ago

While sitting in the dark over the last few days (thanks hurricane Sandy!) I started thinking about Thanksgiving. Actually, it was while stress eating my way through about five pounds of cookies by candle light.

Rather than facing the brutal reality of post-storm clean up and pre-election political ads I'm thinking of something pleasanter: Thanksgiving.

We're having dinner with some people I've never met before in Virginia! I have to buy a hostess gift (any ideas?), figure out what I'm wearing (need to find a dress with a loose waistband), and make sure the kids and DH are pulled together and cleaned up.

What is everyone else doing?

Comments (37)

• lizzie_grow
    11 years ago

I love Glassy Babies as hostess gifts...they have a web site. I think they fit with any decor. I love mine and have given then as gifts.

• golddust
    11 years ago

This is the first Thanksgiving dinner I will cook in almost 26 years. Generally it is a rush trip for dinner in the South Bay and right home again. Since 'Mom' is living with us, I am staying put and cooking. Yay!! That quick trip would be too hard on her. O

I'm trying to keep Thanksgiving dinner low key because I do a huge Christmas bash. If I can get away with 12 people, it will be a snap. My SIL generally hosts but her Thanksgiving dinner just shrunk by about 6 people. This year, she will be cooking for 5.

• Related Discussions

Thanksgiving Cactus blooming at other times?

Q

Comments (23)
    Telling the differance between the holiday cactus is really confusing for a lot of people, usually people are refering to the same plant when they say Thanksgiving and Christmas cactus. These are what's available in stores between Thanksgiving and Christmas and have the wide leaf segments with jagged edges . But the true Christmas cactus are the ones with slim smooth edge segments and tend to hang down and these are what have been passed down through the generations and can seldom be found to purchase retail. Easter/Spring cactus are usually sold between Easter and Mothers day around here and the plant looks a lot like the real Christmas cactus but the flowers are very differant and they open and close up each day. My Thanksgiving cactus start blooming around the first of November and bloom through December than rest for a few weeks and than bloom again but not as many flowers and my Christmas cactus are starting to bloom now. It's still a bit early for Easter cactus to be blooming in most areas. I grow all three types and once you see them side by side it's really easy to tell the differance. Jo
    ...See More

What's your Thanksgiving holiday horror story?

Q

Comments (100)
    Shawlin, That happened to us, except it was on a 10 hour trip and we were about halfway there before it started, and it was during a Christmas holiday. We had to stop at a gas station after our toddler had thrown up yet again, but this time it was on her pillow... she was trying to keep the puke from dropping off the pillow, but then we hit a bump and SPLAT! Now she was covered in puke, it was dripping off her hair. Hubby asked the gas station attendants to bring out the hose and while he sprayed down her car seat, I took her into the bathroom and tried to wash her hair in a gas station bathroom sink... you know the kind where the faucet is really short and the sink is small? By the time I came out of the restroom the nice gas station employees had coned off the area with yellow caution tape. I felt SO BAD for the mess, I was apologizing profusely, and they were SO NICE. I can't even recall what state we were in by then... it was a nightmare. During the family reunion, there were about 20 of us, and only me and one of my sister in laws stayed healthy through the whole reunion (we weren't the only family who came in sick) and we spent the every day cleaning with bleach. LOL! We actually all have a lot of great memories from that trip though... we can all laugh about it now.
    ...See More

The "dark" period for Christmas / Thanksgiving cacti

Q

Comments (15)
    this is another common name issue.. there are a multitude of plants sold under the name XMAS cactus... they are not the same.. and they dont all bloom during the same period... one of mine just bloomed all by itself.. in a south facing door wall.. as the sun started declining... the others show no inclination to bloom right now.. seems i recall those might bloom more around easter.. which would be when the sun.. start climbing in the sky again ... always fall back to general plant culture rules.. to figure out what going ton.. in this case sensitivity to light or sun .... ken btw: when i was a kid.. in the 70s.. we were also told to put the poinsettia and the cactus in the dark closet to trigger such.. frankly.. i dont recall it ever working... im wonder of your out wives tale is confusing cactus with old poinsettia rules... many a plant was found years later in the same closet.. lol ...
    ...See More

Happy Thanksgiving Day

Q

Comments (4)
    Theresa, thank you for always remembering us on the US Thanksgiving. I hope your day last month was special too. I wish ours was in October, putting a little more space between this and the Christmas holiday. Oh, well. Happy Thanksgiving to you all from Minnesota.
    ...See More
  • neetsiepie
    11 years ago

I have absolutely no idea what we'll do. This year DS is a free man, my MIL is on chemo, my step-son is back living with us for the time being, and my eldest DD is not speaking to my DH. Soooo....who knows! I also like to do a big Christmas dinner. I'd rather skip T-giving myself.

As for a hostess gift...well, there is always the ubiquitous bottle of wine, especially if they're strangers to you. If they're teetotallers they can re-gift it.

• Olychick
    11 years ago

I'm going to friends' - it will be a huge party and I'll be deep frying one of the turkeys - the other will be oven roasted.

One of my favorite hostess gifts for the holidays is one of these type of towels. They are perfect for a roll basket or for use in the kitchen - I look for Thanksgivingy colors (or Xmas colors, or Easter colors, depending on the holiday). Everyone seems to love them.

Here is a link that might be useful: jacquard tea towels

• nicoletouk
    11 years ago

We are 13 people this year, which is a few more than usual. I'll be hosting this year, as I do every year - TG is my holiday, Xmas belongs to DSIL.

I love TG! It is my favorite because it is just about being with your family and recognizing how blessed we all are. No other stuff you really NEED to do.

Nicole

• runninginplace
    11 years ago

This year for the first time in ages I"m NOT hosting. So I get to show up at my dad/stepmother's house with my dinner contributions--mashed potatoes and deviled eggs--and a big smile. Then I'll relax and let someone else do the work!

Usually I have from 15-20 at my house for Thanksgiving, but this year I am hosting a graduation party for my son on Dec. 15th and then my immediate family for Xmas. Age brings wisdom, or maybe a bit of laziness, because I realized I can't handle three major blow out parties in three weeks.

Not only that but due to varying circumstances T'giving was turning into a cast of thousands. Out of town relatives, and a vent alert: somehow my SIL had managed to invite her entire family to MY Thanksgiving celebration. My fault of course for glibly answering 'sure' every time she added a guest but still I'm not regretting that I now don't have to cook for her, her husband, her daughter, her mother, her brother, her sister and her sister's husband(!) in addition to my own crew of extended family and friends.

I always take the entire week off work to prepare and although I considered not burning the vacation days, I had already requested the time and didn't change after all. I am eagerly anticipating a much-needed respite from work without the pressure of planning a holiday :).

Ann

PS For those who may find it useful, several years ago the Pioneer Woman shared a make-ahead recipe for mashed potatoes that has saved me much time and stress. 'Taters, especially in large quantities, when made at dinner time are time consuming and arduous to wrestle in the midst of trying to get everything else on the table. I've linked to her recipe, which can be made a day or so ahead and then reheated. Have done it the past couple of years and what a time saver! They taste just fine and really save some aggraation. Bon appetit...

Here is a link that might be useful: Pioneer Woman Make Ahead Mashed Potatoes

• bac717
    11 years ago

We are hosting Thanksgiving here this year and I'm looking forward to it for several reasons. First of all, last year we went out to a restaurant because there were just 4 of us. It was just one week before our son's wedding and I couldn't handle having a large group for dinner on top of the last minute wedding details. Also, we have a new dining room table this year, a large rectangular table that can seat 12 comfortably and maybe even 14, if we put 2 at each end.

We cook our turkey on our charcoal Weber grill. It's delicious and frees up the oven for all the sides.

• sis3
    11 years ago

I am hosting Thanksgiving this year. Sometimes my brother hosts, but mostly I do.
    The last three years I have copied my brother's way of cooking the turkey. I completely debone it and then roll the breast and leg meat into separate rolls, rewrapping them in the reserved skin. I put various herbs and seasoning inside the rolls but I don't stuff them as I cook the stuffing separately from a family favorite recipe. DH then cooks the turkey rolls on the rotisserie outside. (We live in Florida.)
    There are several advantages. The meat is cooked perfectly because the breast and legs are separate, and is moist and succulent due to the continuous basting. The cooked meat is a breeze to carve and looks great as there are no bones. The gravy is made ahead from the carcass, so no last minute gravy making. The biggest advantage - I don't have to cook the bird! I can concentrate on the sides etc., as the grill and DH draw the attention of many of my guests outside!
    The one caveat is that deboning the turkey is a leeeeeengthy job! For me anyway, perhaps you are better butchers!

• lynninnewmexico
    11 years ago

We always host the big Christmas Day dinner and Thanksgiving dinner is at our bestfriends' home. DD will be back from college for it, as will our friends' grown children and their families. I doubt if our DS will make it back for Thanksgiving, as he's taking leave to be with us for Christmas, but we're just incredibly thankful that he made it home safely from his year deployment in Afghanistan!
    Thanksgiving dinner is my very favorite. Our part of the meal is always to bring the wines, the big veggie tray, a Waldorf salad, appetizers and wine coolers for after dinner.

• mitchdesj
    11 years ago

sis, what a great idea. I have a question; do you cook your turkey the day before ? I would think it would be easy to make the rolls while the meat is still warmish. Then refrigerate the rolls. What do you think ?

• caminnc
    11 years ago

Funny you should ask. I am playing around with some ideas for my table now trying to decide what look I want to go with. I will be hosting to as many as 18 this year. I will have two tables and serve buffet style. I think I will have some simple white fresh flowers and maybe some wine color flowers. ANY suggestions welcome. Let me know if it looks too much like Christmas.

Mitchdesj, I will be cooking my turkey the day before and serve it in a chafing dish. I usually cook it Thanksgiving day but with so many people I think this will be easier.

maybe add something like these

• judithn
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Love hearing everyone's plans. Schools here are still shut from hurricane Sandy so I took my son the mall to find him something presentable for our dinner in VA. We are still trying to get back to normal after the storm and he was stir crazy from being home in the cold and dark all week. Anyway, we're trying to get on with things so I figured I'd get him something to wear for the holidays and also for his school. See,at his school now all the boys wear suits and ties on Fridays! It's not a rule, I think they just all made it up. Formal Fridays. DS asked if he could get one a while back and this was the first day I could take him shopping The suit will do double duty, he needed clothes for a couple formal things anyway. DS hates shopping so I took advantage of him in a "weak" moment and got him to try on a bunch of clothes other than the suit. So, for Thanksgiving he can wear the suit pants with a nice sweater. By the way, this whole dressing up is only the boys, not the girls! What a change from when I was in school a zillion years ago. One Thanksgiving chore is done...

• ratherbesewing
    11 years ago

We have plans to go to New York City. I have already paid for hotel,Christmas Show tickets and train tickets.Hopefully, things will be a little more settled by then. If not, we might be eating a Stouffer's dinner.

• patty_cakes
    11 years ago

Youngest DD, GS, and myself are going to CA to be with DD #2, and her family. Since I have 5 children and 6 grands, I try to divide my holidays between all of them. Easter was spent with oldest DS/2 grands in NC, Thanksgiving will be with DD #1, DD #2, and 2 grands, and I stay home in Texas for Christmas with youngest DD/youngest DS/2 grands. This will be the 1st year no one will be coming to visit as the 'babies' are getting older and their families need to make their own (((memories))), in their own homes.

• tinam61
    11 years ago

I am hosting both Thanksgiving and Christmas this year. I usually do Thanksgiving, and my sis Christmas, but I really want to have Christmas this year. She travels on TG, so I'll do it also. Our group is smaller - maybe only 6 for TG. I really enjoy a smaller group though. Last year I made Pioneer Woman's mashed potatoes - linked above - and they were delish. You couldn't tell at all they were made the day before. Last year we left THanksgiving evening for camping for the long weekend and took all the leftovers with us. What fun!

tina

• hhireno
    11 years ago

I did Thx the last few years and would happily do it again but we might switch to a sister's house. Her new location makes it easier for her kids to attend (from out of state) so if they commit to coming, then she'll host.

I know I've mentioned this before but here it comes again. We keep a spreadsheet of what was served (it changes yearly), who was there, what the entertainment was, and what improvements we need for next year. We keep them all in a binder and part of our fun is to re-read the sheets from previous years. Re-reading the earlier ones and then filling out the current form is a highlight of the evening.

• awm03
    11 years ago

Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday. I absolutely adore it -- so relaxed and home-y, such wonderful colors & smells. We start with a trip to Perpetual Adoration, and that sets the day's mood for being thankful and at peace. When we come home, the turkey aroma has filled the house (DH's job is to get up early, stuff the bird, & put it in the oven). Just thinking about that makes me happy. We've had wonderful Thanksgivings, and I'm strongly attached to our rituals and traditions. My DR is even decorated with Thanksgiving-ish autumnal colors. In that room Thanksgiving feasts trump all other uses.

But this will be the first time in 24 years that I won't cook a Thanksgiving dinner. None of my sons will be home, and we're going to visit relatives. I feel so bereft. I know we'll have fun, and my beloved SIL is a wonderful cook & a great friend. But I'll miss our fireplace, our view out the windows, our food, our whole atmosphere with its undertones of family personalities & a touch of religion mixed in. I'll miss baking the pumpkin pie the day before, listening to classical music while enjoying the floury mess & playing with favorite kitchen gadgets.

Gosh, maybe I'll cook a Thanksgiving dinner beforehand. At least we'd have leftovers to make the weekend seem somewhat normal.

• awm03
    11 years ago

camninnc, your decorations are beautiful, but they do look a bit Xmas-y to my eye. Maybe substitute golds & yellows for white flowers, and sage or pumpkin or warm browns for the table linens? Pretty stuff!

• hhireno
    11 years ago

caminnc (and everyone else),
    I was just reading my November issue of Bon Appetite magazine and they have suggestions on creating a chic tablescape. The are: skip the flowers and use seasonal bounty instead; find one focal point and then put it to the side because it's more interesting when not centered; curved branches offer the most intriguing possibilities; place small groupings of vegetables and plants at different points along the table; vary the height of items; pick a palette and go from there; be sure to leave negative space; each seat provides a different view so include something for everyone to look at; above all, follow your imagination.

awm,
    I think making your own smaller dinner on another day is a great idea. Change is good but there's still a way to enjoy your own traditions.

• fourkids4us
    11 years ago

I haven't even thought about Thanksgiving. Then last night, I pulled out my calendar to start updating it for November and realized that Thanksgiving is two weeks from Thursday! Oh my! I don't have much family in the area - just my parents and my brother's family. Dh's family is on the west coast and the rest of my family is spread out so it is usually just us, my parents, and sometimes my brother's family (if they aren't with his in-laws). Occasionally, my sister's family comes to town. I haven't even discussed it yet with my parents. Sometimes they host, sometimes I do. ACK! I need to get on the ball and figure out what we are doing this year! I will probably offer to host b/c my parents usually have everyone over for Christmas and I know it's a lot of work for them since they are getting older. I suppose I need to start organizing. Thanksgiving is one of my favorite holidays!

• susieq07
    11 years ago

We relax, watch the Macy's parade,have tea and fruitcake, then later order CB=cracker barrel's awesome thanksgiving dinner, bring it home to eat, then relax some more because right after T-day we start our extensive Xmas decorating which takes us a week or more, and wears this old couple out! But so worth it!

• caminnc
    11 years ago

Well, I guess I will start over with my decor. Yellow & orange look HORRIBLE in my DR. but my breakfast room and porch can handle it. My walls are a pretty dark gray so brown doesn't work too well as table covering. I will add some greens branches or something natural to bring it back to life and maybe add some darker wood tray or something that doesn't look too much like Christmas. Thanks for all the suggestions and Happy Thanksgiving to all.

• gsciencechick
    11 years ago

We cook here, but it's just us, MIL, and the cats. I just ordered our turkey (11-12 lbs) from the natural food store, not organic, just natural. It's really good, and I'm not even a huge fan of turkey. The turkey cooks so fast in the convection oven. I will probably make a lemon meringue pie, and either dutch apple or pumpkin-sweet potato pie.

• kitchenwitch
    11 years ago

I don't host Thanksgiving - I have an annual leftover party on Black Friday. Most people have off from work and I invite family, friends and neighbors (it's especially good to see the side of the family that we didn't see on Thanksgiving). I cook a whole turkey in the morning, usually just the free one from Shop Rite, and I'll make gravy too. Everyone comes with some of their leftovers, like half a pie, or containers full of sides. Using crock pots, the oven, the stove, and an additional microwave, we heat it all up and put it out and everyone feasts again. I get good bread and rolls for sandwiches and we have wine, beer, hot cider and a fire in the fire pit outside. It's much more causal than the holiday itself - it's served buffet-style and everyone's spread out throughout the house rather than a dining room sit-down. It's more of a party than a holiday, and some of my guests also make double of their favorite dishes to have one to share at the Leftover Party.

• nancybee_2010
    11 years ago

kitchenwitch, the leftover party is a great idea. Love it!

• caminnc
    11 years ago

Does this look better? I added some more color. I am still going to add some real bounty at hhirneo's suggestion. My apologizes for hijacking, judithn. Any suggestions?

• judithn
    Original Author
    11 years ago

caminnc, LOVE your table and you haven't hijacked anything. It's great to see what you're up to. IMO the table you've got now is much better than the first tablescape. It looks so warm and festive. I especially like the birds on the napkins and really like the little silver birds. In fact, I have the same set of little silver birds, mine came from the gift shop at the Washington Irving house called Sunnyside in Tarrytown, NY.

Am a little confused by the red thingie under the white napkins. Is it a separate napkin? Also, I see the white plates with the blue floral border has disappeared. Are you using different dishes?

In any case, it's looking very pretty.

• hhireno
    11 years ago

Oooo, caminnc, that is lovely. The little bits of greens and orange do say fall and Thanksgiving versus Christmas. I love how the little birds are echoed on the napkins.

• User
    11 years ago

We will have 30 for Thanksgiving this year! Most will be coming from Alabama with five from Nebraska ! All family this year, and everyone brings something so the host home just provides the place, drinks and whatever else they want to do. I have ordered two locally smoked turkeys and will have tea, wine, sparkling apple juice, etc. Since we have a dinner party on Dec. 1 were going to be decorated for Christmas on Thanksgiving--- usually a no no around here but I'm hoping they will enjoy it a little early this year. We don't have many young kids at the moment, but I will have a craft project ready in case it's raining.

After we eat and visit we will all caravan to a local resort to do their lights tour. It's about three miles thru woods and very nicely done. We are getting tickets for everyone as a Thanksgiving favor, and the resort is actually on their way back to Alabama, so it works out well logistically. I think we have some college age cousins who are sleeping over to get up to the city the next day for shopping. I can't wait to see everyone!

• gsciencechick
    11 years ago

I love the bird napkins! Your table looks so festive.

• nicoletouk
    11 years ago

caminnc, that is a real improvement, but I think you could do a little more editing. I suggest removing the silver holly leaves. Both silver and holly are too Christmasy for me.

Nicole

• awm03
    11 years ago

caminnc, that is gorgeous! Can we see a picture of your whole dining room? Wish I were decorating a table for Thanksgiving ;)

kswl, you are going to be hopping between now & the holiday getting ready for 30 guests. Sounds like fun though!

• caminnc
    11 years ago

judithn, thank you. My DSIS made me the napkins so they are very special to me. And yes it is another napkin under it. I am serving buffet so I will have plates on the buffet table. I will also have another table for drinks and also a table for dessert. I have another dining table that will seat and three people at the bar. 13 people in all.

Awm03, thanks, I will take some more pictures for you soon.

kswl, that does sound like fun!

We will enjoy the festival in the park and then the annual Holiday Flotilla on Saturday night.

• caminnc
    11 years ago

awm03, sorry I got busy and didn't get the picture you wanted posted but here is my DR. I am still working on drapes and art. I also have other pictures of Thanksgiving scapes if you want to see but I took them after the fact. Here is my DR.

• awm03
    11 years ago

cam, what an elegant setting! Lovely colors & layers of beautiful things -- what a joy to dine in. Thank you for remembering to take the picture. I really enjoyed seeing it.

• neetsiepie
    11 years ago

Oh my-that is dreamy! I adore beautiful table scapes and making dinner a real occasion.

We had dinner at MIL's-she did set a table on my behalf (usually they eat by balancing plates on their lap) so I feel like a lout complaining about the disposable Thanksgiving themed table cover...

But really, I felt good about putting aside my dining snobbery to spend the afternoon with her & her DH at their house-they were so happy and that made it worthwhile.

• jennifer_in_kansas
    11 years ago

Cam, what a beautiful room you've put together. It looks so inviting.

J

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH