SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
eks6426

Joys of remodeling a small kitchen while living in the house

eks6426
14 years ago

My house is small...about 1300 sq ft. 3 bedrooms and bath upstairs, living, dining, kitchen and 1/2 bath main floor and partially finished basement with laundry.

My husband and I have been mostly DIY on our kitchen remodel. We started in early November. We haven't had a sink since Thanksgiving. The kitchen has looked like the inside of a garage for weeks.

But now, we are in the process of having hardwood flooring installed which I've decided needed to integrate with the dining room so it looks like it was all laid at the same time. It is 3/4" unifinished red oak (like the rest of the house) Flooring is installed but now everything needs to be refinished so it will be the same color.

We had to move the fridge to the 1 car detached garage and leave it unplugged because it is too cold to run a compressor. The only door the fridge will fit out is the one to my screen porch. It cannot be moved from the kitchen to any other room in the house because all the doorways off the kitchen are narrow. So, in the garage the empty fridge sits waiting for flooring to be finished.

Originally we had moved most of the kitchen stuff into the dining room. Well, now we had to move all the dining room (and kitchen stuff) into the living room so the dining room floor could be refinished.

So, now the living room is packed to the gills with living room, dining room and kitchen stuff. It looks like the inside of a moving truck.

We set up a temporary kitchen upstairs that has a mini fridge, crockpot, electric skillet, toaster oven and microwave. It's not great but I got a meal done last night...then it dawned on us...we have no place to sit down and eat. Our choices were either to sit on our beds (which isn't the best with kids) or find a spot of the floor. In desperation we decided to eat on the wood stairs...at least it seems like there is a table if you sit on one step and put your plate on the step above.

In order to watch TV or do laundry we have to get to the basement which involves going outside and around the house to a side door because the normal path would be through the kitchen. (We currently have 2 feet of snow so you have to REALLY want to watch TV to make the cold run around the house)

And today, the flooring guy (thank goodness this part is not DIY) says that the final poly coat which goes on AFTER the cabinets are in will take at least 10 days to cure before we can put our fridge back in and start using the kitchen. First & 2nd poly coats go on this week. Cabinets can go in after 10 days so probably first week of Feb....then poly coat 3.

So, it looks like we'll be eating on the stairs until at least Valentine's Day.

I just have to laugh at how creative and desperate we've become in just finding places to sit to have a meal.

The joys of remodeling kitchen in a small house. I'm sure some of you can relate.

Comments (15)