SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alisande_gw

Meaningful coincidences......

12 years ago

Patty_cakes' thread about the afterlife started me thinking about coincidences and events that seem to be directed by a force beyond ourselves. I actually don't care for the term "coincidence" because it implies randomness; I prefer to think of these events as not random at all.

I'm a volunteer gravestone photographer for FindAGrave.com. (Anyone else?) A few years ago my granddaughter and I made a trip to the Grahamsville (NY) Rural Cemetery for my cousin Terry's funeral. On the way, I told my granddaughter I wished I'd checked with FindAGrave to see if anyone had requested gravestone photos. When we got there, I realized that filling requests would have been a lost cause. Even though the cemetery is relatively small, it was still too large to find anything specific without taking a lot more time than I had.

Parking was scarce, and we left the car down a long path. Walking to the funeral site, I stopped to take one picture of a gravestone. There was nothing particularly striking about it, so I don't know why I chose that one, of all the headstones we passed, to photograph. Buried at that grave were a mother and father, and their son who died well before them, in 1944.

When I got home, I uploaded the photo to FindAGrave......and discovered that the son's grave was the only photo request for that cemetery. It turned out that he had died in WWII, killed in the Netherlands. A gentleman from Holland had created a memorial for him at FindAGrave, and was hoping to get a picture of the gravestone. He was most grateful.

This summer I went back to Grahamsville, as a museum wing was being dedicated to my cousin's memory. I arrived early, and decided to see if I could find Terry's grave. I hadn't been there since her headstone was erected, but I thought it was in the back, not far from the tree line. The weather was wretched--pouring rain--and my plan was to drive to the back of the cemetery and then get out with my umbrella and start looking. But before I could do that, I found myself drifting to a stop well before I reached the back. I turned my head to look out the window, and saw that I was sitting right next to Terry's headstone. Leave it to my wonderful cousin to keep me dry.

Here's a picture of the cemetery with mist rising off the mountain.

And here's one I "spookified" a bit. ;-)

I've had many coincidences, some more startling than these. But now it's your turn.......

Comments (5)