SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
scootermom_gw

Custom cabinets less expensive than showroom/big box?

scootermom
16 years ago

Hi -- I've read in several posts here that some folks have saved a lot of money by ordering custom cabinets from a local cabinetmaker, rather than going with a kitchen showroom or big box store.

I'm curious to know under what conditions that is true -- does it depend on what area of the country you live in, rural vs. city, etc? Does it depend also on what kind of cabinets you want?

I live in Northern Virginia and would like simple, but good quality, all-plywood construction maple cabinets with a very simple door (simple looking, that is -- I have no idea how simple the doors are to construct, but I'm thinking something Shakerish w/ a natural stain). The molding will be simple crown molding, and I can't think of too many bells/whistles beyond good quality drawers, including a few pot/pan drawers, and a pullout pantry. It strikes me that everything in my area is pretty expensive, so I'm kind of dubious about the "local" cabinetmaker thing.

Can anyone shed some light for me? I went to Home Depot and priced KraftMaid cabinets, just to get a ballpark on what they'd be. It ended up being around $11K, but of course that was a very preliminary set of stuff (minus molding, toe kicks, etc.). Thanks for any advice, experiences, etc.

That said, I'm looking forward to putting my existing layout together to show all of you creative kitchen geniuses! Would love to get some in put on that.

Comments (6)