SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jackfalstaff_gw

Is my Heat Pump Too Small

jackfalstaff
15 years ago

hello,

I in February I had a new Heat pump installed at my new home. Initally we had to have several service calls because the heat pump and Aux heat were not able to keep up with the bitter cold (near 0). To fix they they ended up having to insall an extra bank of heating elements to keep up.

When summer came around, and cooling season hit, we found that the system could not maintain a temperature of 73 degrees when the temp hit 85 or more outside. To fix this, they came back and raised the fan speed on the variable speed blower to be at its highest setting. This has worked to make the house maintain temp even when it is 90 out.

However, This only works if we do not cook, have guests over, or turn on the can lights in the kitchen. If we do these things, the temp will go up 1 or 2 degrees, and the system cannot recover to its set point for several hours (usually around midnight after the sun has been down for a while)

For example, On Saturday, when I got up the thermostat was set at 73 and it was showing 73 inside and 83 outside. I did some cooking in the kitchen and started the dishwasher which resulted in the temp going up to 74.

I then turned the thermostat down to 71, to be sure that the blower would kick on high asap. However, the temp remained at 74 from 10 am to a bit after midnight on a day that was mostly 86 (although a bit humid)

To me, this all speaks of a system that does not have the ability to cool the house in anything other than ideal conditions.

Is my heat pump too small?

Also, my HVAC people keep trying to tell me that i will only be able to cool 15 degrees below what the outside temp is. Which makes no sense to me. I've never been in a house that could not go below 75 if it were 90 or 80 when it is 95. Is this just BS?

Thanks,

J

Comment (1)