SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lyfia

How to get every room comfortable in the house

lyfia
15 years ago

We have a newly built house that only has one AC/furnace unit. The house is 2306 sq ft. We're in TX and I've never had a one system house before and I'm definelty seeing the drawbacks on it now.

In the past we've always had two units, one for the main areas and one for the bedrooms. Layout of the house worked well with that.

Is there anything that can be done to have all rooms be comfortable and not waste energy besides putting in two systems? All the bedrooms are all warmer in summer and cooler in the winter than the main areas. The main areas is an open floorplan and bedrooms have at least 2 exterior walls. 1 faces NW, 1 NE, and 1 SW (this one is better temp wise in summer I think due to the porch that surrounds it).

Right now there is a temperature difference of about 4 degrees in the master to the main areas. I'm having to turn it down to 74 to sleep comfortable at night or it gets too hot. We keep the door open and it doesn't help.

There is only one large return air and it is located in the main area too.

Is there anything that can be done to get things more comfortable or is our only option to add another airhandler and a new compressor and down size the existing compressor and just put the ducts for the bedroom on the new unit?

Comments (14)