SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tevia_gw

What do you think about this quote?

Tevia
11 years ago

Hi GardenWeb! I'm new here (as far as posting goes) and could really use your advice.

My fiance and I just bought a house that needs a total gut job before we can even move in. We got our first bid last night and we're not exactly thrilled with it. Hopefully some of you with more experience can tell me what you think.

We went to talk to the KD last night for the first time. We spent about three hours with him. It took so long because his English wasn't too terribly great and he had trouble understanding some of the things we were trying to explain. He also seemed to be having some trouble with his program. Anyway, I had already come up with a plan before going in and pretty much knew exactly what we wanted. We brought in specific pictures of what we wanted and he ended up coming up with the EXACT layout that i had already come up with. The only difference was that he had the correct sizes for all the cabinets because he has access to their book. I personally would be fine with just making the layout and ordering the cabinets myself, but it doesn't seem like the cabinet companies want you to do that.

So once we had the layout finalized we went to the back to chose the cabinets. His shop carries Aristokraft, Schrock, and Decora. He said Schrock and Decora would have added thousands on to the total price so he would only let us look at Aristokraft.

I want the kitchen to be cream colored maple cabinets with a very small dark java/espresso colored island. Turns out Aristokraft didn't have the door style in the color we wanted (or anything similar) with maple and the only option we had was to either go with laminate/mdf for the outer cabinets and maple for the island or spend "thousands more" to switch to Schrock or Decora.

I was upset because i really didn't want laminate, but i agreed because there didn't seem to be another option.

The quote came out to just slightly under $10,000 without installation and after his $1,000 discount because he liked us. I was shocked. The kitchen is only 13x10 or so and there's only 12 cabinets total. We didn't get anything fancy. We only got one cabinet with (3)drawers and no pull outs. He said laminate isn't any cheaper than real wood. How can this be possible? Wouldn't everyone get real wood if this was true?

I looked at a thread on here (Relative cabinetry prices: brand vs. brand: take 2) and Aristokraft is supposed to be one of the cheapest, not to mention they're not even wood!

We were hoping to get real wood doors and still keep the cost of the cabinets under (or atleast close to) $8,000 since we still have tons of other projects to do. The guy kept saying that shop has the lowest prices in cabinets he's ever seen. Is this really the case? Does that quote sound correct to you guys?

Thanks for the help!

Comments (18)