SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mg3483

Wet, sweating insulation

mg3483
14 years ago

My AC unit is located outside, on the north side of the house. The ground and surrounding area stays wet (wet, not damp) most of the time due to lack of direct sun to dry it out. Lots of mold and icky white stuff growing on the ground, with green stuff crawling up the bricks. Disgusting.

I have devised a way to redirect the condensation (dripping) away from the area. However, my biggest issue is the insulation around the hose/pipe that connects from the AC unit to the house. (Please forgive my inability to properly describe the AC parts. I have NO knowledge of air conditioning units. I will do the best I can.)

I assume this is the piping that connects to the furnace. It runs from the AC unit, @ 40 feet through a crawl space under the house.

There is @ a 2 foot stretch of this pipe exposed outside of the house. When installed, this pipe was covered with a sleeve of insulation. It is this sleeve of insulation that concerns me. It is always wet. Sopping wet and dripping. It is cracked in many places and seems to work more as a sponge now. (This is the major the area/ground is constantly wet around the AC unit).

I know it needs to be replaced. My question is... is there a certain type of insulating sleeve I can use that will hold up better? One that won't mold or decay.

Or is this something that simply has to be replaced regularly?

I very much appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks ahead of time!

A pic of the area.

A pic of the soppy insulation.

The ground underneath is squishy wet constantly.

This area reeks a smell of mold.

I welcome all suggestions.

Comments (4)