SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
megypt_gw

Layout help �' can hall area be incorporated into kitchen?

megypt
13 years ago

Hi!

We are remodeling our kitchen and as well as some other parts of the house. Currently there is a large awkward hallway next to the kitchen that I’d like to incorporate somehow.

current floorplan

I couldn’t think of a way to integrate it fully. I considered totally getting rid of the kitchen wall up to the bathroom and putting that kitchen wall on the further wall. But I think it's too far out of line with the rest of the kitchen and would be odd. Plus you'd have to walk through the kitchen to get to the bathroom, boys' room, and stairs to the downstairs. But maybe someone has a better idea or more knowledgeable opinion.

Ideas I had that used up some of the space were

1. Put storage cabinets behind refrigerator wall to narrow the hallway.

2. Take out stair railing and wall it and put mudroom like cubbies

3. Remove refrigerator wall as far as the bathroom and extend island seating that direction.

Does anyone have any other ideas? Or suggestions on how to make my ideas into a nice flowing floorplan?

We are a family of 5. Boys are 4, 2 ½ , and 11 months. I’d really like to get island seating for 5 (preferably six as my brother lives here also and sometimes eats with us.) I've read on here that people seem to like having their island single level as a good place for kids to do homework. There isn't a desk space in the kitchen, so it would be awesome if the island could be inviting for homework as well.

We'd like to keep a large capacity refrigerator so we don't have to put a second fridge in the downstairs garage. I've seen some 36 x 36 28 cu ft ones. I really like the idea of a full fridge and full freezer. I've seen a couple that are actually less expensive than the 28 cu ft fridges. But each fridge freezer is 30" long. I don't know that I have 60+ inches of wall space for that.

I'm hoping to open up the bedroom by the dining room to open up the back wall of the house (which extends from the sink wall to make it a "wall o'windows". So I'm anticipating putting in a new window over the sink. (One of the plans I drew has the fridge on that wall which I think will probably draw away from my "wall o'windows" concept.

I have a few floorplan concept. They aren’t well fleshed out in terms of cabinet sizes and exact spacing. But I was just trying to narrow down ideas that are worth examining further.

Variations include:

1. L shape island

2. Floating peninsula

3. Refrigerator on sink wall

4. Refrigerator set into hallway by a foot

5. Refrigerator on stove wall

6. Banquette built into island.

The kitchen is currently 12 1/2 ft by 13 1/2 ft. U shaped with a peninsula or G shaped I suppose.

The back wall where the range is located is 13.5 feet long. On the other side of it is a bathroom.

The length of the sink wall can vary since I am considering changing the location and size of the sliding door that currently bounds the kitchen. I'd like it to be as compact as possible while still getting all the functionality we'd like. As a starting planning figure I'm using 14.5 feet.

The refrigerator wall is currently around 12 feet. It is behind this where the awkward hallway is located.

I recently found this website and am astounded by the amount of talent and support that is here. I am hoping someone is willing to take a look as I am really befuddled as to what to do. Thanks so much!

Here is a link that might be useful: starter layout options

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022