SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
terezosa

Any good Halloween costume ideas?

terezosa / terriks
11 years ago

I doubt I can talk my husband into going, but we've been invited to a Halloween costume party. What's the most ingenious costume idea you have seen or heard of?

Comments (63)

• anele_gw
    11 years ago

I dressed up as Dairy Queen and my then-boyfriend went as Burger King. I had a red vintage velvet evening gown, white wig, and a necklace + crown made out of Dairy Queen cups. My BF dressed like a king with, of course, a BK crown. (And yeah, we lived in a White Castle. Wendy was our DD.)

One yr I dressed like a fly . . .all black with eyes made out of mesh strainers/sieves. My husband dressed like a rolled-up newspaper wih a headline that said, "Newspaper swats fly" or something like that.

• jlj48
    11 years ago

A couple years ago I dressed up as the octomom. I bought 8 babies at the dollar tree and tucked them into a large receiving blanket that I pinned around my neck and waist. I wore a long black haired wig. It was a lot of fun.

• Related Discussions

Creative brainstorming needed (Halloween costume!)

Q

Comments (3)
    what about those plastic barrels that those big hard pretzels come in?? don't know if they would be big enough or not. Maybe just "wear" the barrel and not cut arms through it. Make suspenders that go over your shoulders to 'hang' the barrel from? Just a few thoughts. Good luck!!
    ...See More

Halloween costume for my boobs

Q

Comments (7)
    Thanks, Ladies, for your replies and well wishes! I like the surgical gloves idea and may use it but I'm gonna try making a "BOO out of poster board and hide the B under my arm and put the cut out O's on each boob then " unfold" the B when I unrobe! Just gotta play with it at home and see if it's workable. Being excited about surprising the nurse make going much easier! It's the waiting afterwards that's painful! Regina
    ...See More

halloween costume

Q

Comments (2)
    Good for you! It sounds really cute! One time years ago a coworker brought in a cute little reindeer made out of a little girl's sock. It had red felt antlers and wiggly eyes, a pompom nose and painted on mouth. It was stuffed and the opening tied with lace. Her sister in law was selling them for something like $12 bucks each! I went out and got a six-pack of socks and made a dozen of them for less than the lady wanted for one! Donna
    ...See More

Help me think of cute halloween costume ideas...

Q

Comments (26)
    I am dressing my DS)9) as a UPS man this year. I bought brown cargo shorts and a brown button down shirt at Childrens Place. Got a brown UPS cap on clearance at K Mart months ago for $1.20 (thats what inspired me). I already have the perfect size Amazon box for him to flip open for candy as he says "trick or treat". His eyeglasses turn dark in the light so they will look like sunglasses I think. All I need is to get short brown socks and to figure out an easy way to make a UPS logo for the shirt. hmmm....as for Grant, it reminds me of when my daughter was 2. She cried and carried on not wanting to wear the hat to her lion costume. In our pictures inside, she is not wearing the hat, but once she got outside in the stroller to trick or treat I was able to put the hat on while she stared at costumed kids. She didn't even seem to care anymore. The following year she was a clown and I painted her blond hair with pink hair mascara. It came out nice-no hat needed. You could probably get Grant some caped kid pjs at Target. They used to carry Superman and Batman, I think they still do. I had to buy them in 2 sizes because my son and daughter both liked to wear them. Does Grant like any particular characters?? He'd be a cute Bob The Builder! Someone mentioned a mailman-when my other daughter was in 1st grade they had Career Day. She dressed as a 'mailgirl' and delivered her homework in a priority mail envelope LOL!! I like the scarecrow idea! Thats not something you normally see.
    ...See More
  • bestyears
    11 years ago

Feeling snarky.... he could just wear a wet blanket and go as, well, a wet blanket....

Hope you see the humor in this, my husband wouldn't want to go either, so I mean no offense!

• gsciencechick
    11 years ago

The sushi costume sounds really fun!

We've done devil and vampire, Hugh Hefner and Bunny.

The best costume I saw last year was Dexter (reddish wig, green shirt, plastic apron) and plastic-wrapped victim. It was really cold so this girl was probably freezing. It was colder on Halloween than on Christmas here.

There were some really awesome ones that clearly took a lot of time. Lots of Walking Dead/Zombies and probably the most elaborate were the Mad Hatter and Queen of Hearts from Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland. These looked almost professionally made by a theatre costume designer they were so good. Lots of Angry Birds.

• ellendi
    11 years ago

One of my favorite was the rescued Chilean miners. I like the ideas that are current and look comfortable to wear. It is almost painful to look at people with things that look heavy, balanced on their heads etc. or that it is obvious they won't be able to sit down all night.

• texanjana
    11 years ago

We went as Frida Kahlo and Diego Rivera last year - my husband just wore his regular clothes plus a vest from Goodwill.

• Sandy1963
    11 years ago

I went as the Tin Man from the Wizard of Oz one year....Took an old large drum lamp shade, spray painted silver, a grey sweatsuit, sneakers also sprayed silver, fashioned a funnel(hat) out of foil and cardboard, and then painted my face with silver halloween makeup. It was a blast!

• SunnyCottage
    11 years ago

I'm sure some would consider it to be all kinds of wrong, but two years ago I had such fun going to a couple of parties as "Princess Die", and I won contest prizes. ;-D

Must have been karma getting me in the end, though. That horrid "Made in China" wig rubbed a bald spot in the front of my head that took months to grow back.

• seagrass_gw Cape Cod
    11 years ago

The most memorable Halloweenn costume I can report is the one sported by a hunky bouncer/ doorman at a rock and roll bar I went to many many moons ago.

Dark tight jeans, body- hugging t- shirt, shaved head with pieces of pointy egg crate foam glued all over his cranium and painted purple/ silver.

He greeted us with this line:

"I'm from the Planet Prophylactica and I'm ribbed for your pleasure"

LOL

• neetsiepie
    11 years ago

This was Eddie, the used car salesman. It was a hit, but hot & itchy...all that padding, hair & polyester.

• marlene_2007
    11 years ago

Pesky, I LOVE Eddie! That is absolutely fabulous!

• dedtired
    11 years ago

Dress up as Flo, from the Progressive Insurance ads. She is so recognizable and her outfit is easy. Maybe your husband could be the Geico gecko. That one would not be so easy.

Pesky and Sunny, you are a riot. Guess enough time has gone by to have a laugh at Di's expense. I liked her so much.

• SunnyCottage
    11 years ago

Me too, dedtired. I was heartbroken when she died. But I do think it's ok to "get gruesome" for Halloween!

Pesky, that's an awesome costume! (I know at least one guy who looks just like that too! ;-))

• deniseandspike
    11 years ago

I knew a girl that always dressed up as a black-eye pea for Halloween--she put black makeup around her eye and wore a t-shirt that had a big letter "P"--simple enough for people that don't want to dress up.

• legomom23
    11 years ago

Love all the ideas! Trying to get my son to go as cloudy with a chance of rain. I know he'd have fun with the water squirting!

I'm not much into dressing up either. One year I went as a fork in the road. Two poster boards worn over my shoulders (front and back) like those Little Caesar's people. Painted them to look like roads and then cut a huge fork shape out of another one, wrapped it in aluminum foil, and glued it to the front poster board. It got me into the party and I had fun after that!

• Faron79
    11 years ago

I've GOT to do some KISS makeup sometime!!!

Probably Paul with the frizzed hair, pout, and the star on his eye. I'd be SOOOOooo Hot...wouldn't I?!?!?!?

Faron

• jakabedy
    11 years ago

I think I've landed on the answer for this year. I'm not so much into the makeup and wigs and complicated costumes. I'm going to dress in black. do a ghost-y face and stick ballots all over me and go as "voter fraud". Sort of an homage to imaginary bogey men. Now I just have to think of something similar for DH. I've contemplated "the 47%" but I'm not sure how to translate that into a costume.

I think Big Bird with a tie and a resume would be funny this year.

• hhireno
    11 years ago

In an ad for a store named Belk (mid priced department store), there was a man's tee shirt that was printed with "I don't need a costume, people want to be me". That would be great for people who don't want to dress up. I'm sure it must be available at stores other than Belk.

• alisande
    11 years ago

Lukkiirish, I read about your weather costume and immediately knew I had to try it! At Salvation Army I found a pair of grey Old Navy pants and a grey hoodie. Walmart had the small sprayer. I have the fiberfill in my sewing supplies. Now I'm psyched--thank you!!

PS: I love an excuse to overdo the grey eye shadow.

• terezosa / terriks
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I just had an idea for a costume. I'm going to get myself a large binder to wear
    ;)

• SunnyCottage
    11 years ago

LOL, Terriks! Love it!

• User
    11 years ago

Ha!!! Glad some liked the cloudy with a touch of rain idea, it's the best costume I've ever seen or done. The sweats are comfy and warm in colder weather too.

• Oakley
    11 years ago

Sunny, your costume IS funny! And it reminds me of one of my most embarrassing moments.

We had a party here and I went as the Angel of Death. Long heavy robe with a hood made specifically for the costume, and a skull mask with the hood pulled over it hiding my hair. It got rave reviews!

I decided to take the boys trick or treating wearing the costume. We were fairly new to this town at the time. We approached a big house, the boys went to the front door, I stood on the sidewalk in all my glory, and two nuns came out on the porch. REAL nuns!

It was the nun's house for the Catholic Church across the street, about 10 of them lived there.

The nun looked at me and asked what I was dressed as. I shamefully said, "The angel of death."

She said, "And what's your last name?" I told her and she goes, "I don't think I've heard of you before." She was not impressed. I got the heck out of dodge and felt like an idiot for weeks!

• hhireno
    11 years ago

Yesterday, I heard about a clever costume. The person went as his own Facebook page. He wore a white sandwich-type board and carried a marker and let people post to his wall. He said if he had thought of it earlier, he would have carried a Polaroid style camera so they could post their photos, too.

It doesn't meet my personal criterion for comfort (how do you sit down while wearing a sandwich board?) but it is topical and clever.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

DH had a tux from charity events we've gone to (though a dark suit will do). I had a dressy satin blouse I'd worn to xmas parties. From there, we became the zombie bride and groom...I made up a quick skirt out of satin fabric (just a rectangle of fabric, hemmed at the bottom and a casing for elastic (used an old elastic waistband from DH's ragged out underpants!) at the top. Bought some bridal illusion and gathered and hand sewed it to a comb for a veil. Outfits were complete. Went on line and got some ideas for zombie make up and we became the "happy couple". We even won a $100 gift certificate from the restaurant we wore this to on Halloween!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

Another year we went to the goodwill and got DH an ill fitting chalk-stripe suit which he wore with a fedora and a black shirt and white tie. I made up a dropped waist sheath dress and sewed on yards and yards of cheap fringe from my hip line down. A lot of long beads and a feathered thing in my hair and Bonnie and Clyde were born.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

Another year, we were romeo and juliet....mom made me the cone hat with the veil hanging off of it....

Another year I had DH dress up in drag, as did I .... he was the hooker, I was his pimp.

Did I mention that DH is VERY tolerant of my madness?!?

One outfit that another gal did that was certainly memorable, but for adults only....She went as a flasher....wore a trench coat and a fedora and baggy man pants and a shirt. When she opened up the trench coat, her ... um ... member was hanging out of the fly ...a craft project made with an old knee high stocking that was stuffed with quilt batting. Certainly not for everyone, and certainly memorable!

• cooperbailey
    11 years ago

DH and I were bikers for Halloween a few years ago. Consulted with my friends police husband.
    We both had harley temporary tats and harley patches on our clothes. I ratted up my long hair, way overdid the makeup. Old ratty bandanas for our heads. Studded fingerless bike gloves. leather jackets and boots. I had black leggings tucked into mine boots.To top it off, we each carried 40s.
    We walked down to the party about dusk, and were a bit worried about causing concern to elderly neighbors, and as we passed their house, the elderly neighbor called to her husband, come look at Sue and Ron, they look so cute! so much for our bad ass swaggers! but it was a lot of fun.

• tishtoshnm Zone 6/NM
    11 years ago

Have DH carry around a Dos Equis beer and dress really sharp to be the most interesting man in the world. He can memorize some of those one liners from the commercials.

The party my 2 teenagers are going to has a theme of green so we will be spraying my daughter's hair green and putting plastic snakes in it so she can be medusa.

• User
    11 years ago

I'll be Dorothy this year with my little dog Toto.

• judiegal6
    11 years ago

Regarding the "Flo" from Progressive idea, there is a instructional video with downloads for the "Progressive" iron , name tag and even the color of lipstick she wears. easy and free. I just picked up a plain white T, and apron from Jo-Anne's.

• patty_cakes
    11 years ago

One year a male friend of mine dressed up as Howard Hughes. I had an old Victoria's Secret green paisley robe that was large enough for him and an ugly old man rubber mask. Used a piece of black fabric for an ascot and that was it. I think everyone knew who he was supposed to be cause he sure got a lot of looks. More than me, and I was dressed as the female version of Zorro, leather skirt, fencing sword, silk red sash(fabric), large hoop earrings, black fabric 'mask', black hat, and boots. Easy peasy, too! ;o)

• alisande
    11 years ago

About the "partly cloudy" costume.....when I put on my dark grey pants, light grey turtleneck, medium grey hoodie, grey shoes, and grey eyeshadow, I could skip the fiberfill clouds and go as "5 Shades of Grey." :-)

But I think I'll do the original idea.

• User
    11 years ago

Ha! That's a great one too!

• terezosa / terriks
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I love the shades of gray idea!

• alisande
    11 years ago

I love it too, so I've decided to go with it this year, since it's so topical, and recycle my costume next year, adding the clouds and water spray.

So . . . I have a question. I have five shades of grey: pants, turtleneck, hoodie, nails (silver nail polish) and hair (!). I was thinking I'd make numbered tags out of card stock and attach them to the various points. My question is this: Do I use numbers 1, 2, 3, 4 & 5? Or would numbers 46, 47, 48, 49 & 50 be more effective?

Thanks for your help!

• OllieJane
    11 years ago

Definately 50!

• alisande
    11 years ago

Thanks, Olliesmom--I'll do it!

• terezosa / terriks
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I was just thinking that a super easy way to do the 50 shades costume would to be to grab a bunch of gray paint strips and simply safety pin them to your (gray) clothes.

• alisande
    11 years ago

LOL You are a Halloween genius! Unfortunately, I'm a little short on gray paint strips. But I wouldn't be surprised if I encounter another "gray person" at tonight's party, possibly with something similar. I'm cheating with only five!

I traded my hoodie for a gray serape, saving the hoodie for next year.

• golddust
    11 years ago

How about wearing regular clothes with a sign hung around your neck that says 'Party Pooper'?

• PRO
    Diane Smith at Walter E. Smithe Furniture
    11 years ago

Have your dh dress like Clint Eastwood. For you terriks, copy a pic of a chair and using an iron on transfer, apply the pic to a t-shirt. Done!

• judiegal6
    11 years ago

My Dd is going to a party as a "Smartie pants" just attach� candy smarties all over your pants. Also she mentioned a "1 night stand" a box with lamp etc.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    11 years ago

Brick and bricklayer? Ok for adults only party-had friends who did it once.

• maddielee
    11 years ago

..wear a Hello My Name is sticker. Filled in "Maybe".

Call me Maybe. get it?

I saw this last week on the Ellen show.

ML

• User
    11 years ago

Lukkiirish, I told my DD about the cloudy with a touch of rain costume and she made it and is wearing it to two parties this weekend! She says it is the most comfortable costume she's ever worn---- thanks for a great idea!

• User
    11 years ago

Kswl, that is awesome. I hope she has a lot of fun with it, it is comfy!!

• susieq07
    11 years ago

Jay Leno had a good idea, put 2 pumpkins in the back of your pants and go as a Kardashian... lol

• terezosa / terriks
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I didn't end up going to the Halloween party (didn't know the hosts well, and likely wouldn't know most of the guests, but I had my husband convinced to go until our friends backed out), but I am wearing a variation of the 50 shades costume today at work. Gray sweather, black pants, gray boots and a necklace made of 50 shades of gray paint chips!

• dedtired
    11 years ago

Terriks, that's so funny. I will be wearing my usual devil horns to our neighborhood party.

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida