SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nancybee_2010

What is your dream profession?

nancybee_2010
12 years ago

I was a teacher (a long time ago) but I always secretly wished I would have been a nurse. Do you ever wish you would have taken a different career path?

Comments (41)

• terezosa / terriks
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I never figured out what I wanted to be when I grew up, so I currently have a boring, dead end job.

• DLM2000-GW
    12 years ago

I never figured out what I wanted to be when I grew up, so I currently am a bum.

In the past I've been; an office jockey, a medical assistant, held every position (at least twice) for a local charity board of directors, a decorative painter.

Many years ago I wanted to be a psychiatric social worker and wish I'd kept on that education path.

• Related Discussions

Chicken coop designing...what is your dream coop

Q

Comments (4)
    Most coops have slant roof, and be sure to have a bank of windows facing south for maximum light. You're going to love having the concrete pad when it comes time to muck it out. I have a twenty by forty coop on a concrete pad, and I appreciate how much easier it makes to do the scraping and also it's easily hosed off afterward. The structure was built as a chicken shed so I didn't have much modifying to do when started our flock up. We have working windows and two sides with wire mesh to them when the windows are open. Ventilation is very important to poultry so all windows are operable. We have a small drop door to their exercise yard and that is completely enclosed with fencing, even overhead, for protection from predators. And also a human sized door for us. LOL. It should be large enough so you can easily move feed bags in and out and also wheel barrows for when you muck poop. All the walls where windows are located have roosts to them, and the other two walls have metal laying boxes twelve per unit. I had a hundred hens at one time and twenty four boxes were sufficient, so twelve should be for thirty hens. You may want to fence off a small section for quarantining injured fowl because there will be times when that happens and the other birds will attack an injured bird and peck at it until it dies. This could also be used as a safe spot for brooding hens.
    ...See More

What's your dream/favorite vacation?

Q

Comments (86)
    Wow mtn, those sound like amazing trips. I truly believe the planning part of the trip is almost as pleasureable as the trip itself. But I love to plan and research, sounds like you do too. I read recently that spending money on travel can make good economic sense in terms of value for money spent. First you research, plan and dream of the trip, then you do it, then you continue to reap benefits through memories, photos and the knowledge (and possible friendships) you gain. I'm convinced! :) Regarding MP in December, the issue is rain. Given your time constraints I'm guessing you're not hiking in on the Inca trail? It could be miserable hiking (unless you enjoy hiking in the rain, many people do. I'm a wimp though). If you're not hiking try to leave yourself a couple of days open to make the ascent by train/bus from Cusco. That way you should have enough flexibility to get up there in a rain free window. Cusco is a wonderful place to spend a couple of days. I didn't make it to Lake Titicaca, but I've heard it is definitely worth the trip. I enjoyed the Nazca lines ( we flew over them) in Peru, and the pyramids near Trujillo. I didn't make it to the Peruvian amazon, wish I did. And I just loved th Pisco Sour I had in Pisco! I had planned a nearly year long trip for 2016, my kids will be in grades 3 and 6 then. I wanted to circle the Pacific, down through Peru and Chile, to Easter Island, then on to NZ, Australa, up through Asia to Vladivostok then back to Vancouver. It would be an incredible learning experience for them, but I'm starting to pull back a bit. First it is likely too ambitious with relatively young kids, ie exhausting. Second, my kids go to school in French and a year away from French may be too much. So I may just take the easy path and spend the better part of the year based in France, with frequent excursions around Europe. Fun planning regardless. I've lived in St. Lucia, Austria (Vienna), Russia (Moscow & St. Petersburg), the UK (outside London) along with some shorter working stints in Bosnia and Romania. My parents spent a decade in Costa Rica, so I spent a fair bit of time there too, and in Panama. Most of my young adulthood was spent in Europe, or planning to get to Europe, so my travel experience in largely Euro based. I need to get out more! :)
    ...See More

What is your dream birthday cake?

Q

Comments (73)
    I would like anything from a good bakery. My birthday sometimes falls on Thanksgiving and mostly just before or after. I have had my share of supermarket turkey shaped cakes and cakes with pilgrims. I used to ask for ice cream cakes as a kid because they at least had ice cream and usually weren't awful.....The worst was when I was 16. I wanted something grown up and beautiful. My sister talked my boyfriend and my parents into going to a amusement/arcade park for a surprise. The place was a castle themed park called Camelot. All the kids at my school called it "scam-a-lot" I was horrified. When the girl brought out the cake badly frosted and with day glow icing clowns and balloons I asked them to get it boxed and we went home to have ice cream instead. At least none of my friends saw it all. No I am not stealing this from the show Golden Girls. This actually happened to me! I had another cake disaster for my graduation. My sis and I got the freshest ingredients and made a cake from a cake bible cookbook from the library. I had spent a week prior making frosting roses for this masterpiece had saving them in the freezer. We made the cake and tasted the trimmed off parts it was fantastic! The next day we frosted it and that evening when the family tried it it was so dry no one wanted to eat it. After that I always ordered a cake from the European bakery I love in Pasadena. The other cake fail I was involved in was my cousin's wedding. She knew I could do frosting flowers well so she asked me to come over and decorate her wedding cake. She wanted me to use this lavender icing she made. I decorated the whole thing and we set it by the window. After an hour into the reception, the purple icing in the sunlight faded to blue and was melting a little. My part of the family was out drinking and laughing on the grass. My cousin's husband's family was inside being shocked at the drinking going on outside. The cake suddenly started to lean and lucky her husband's brother was sitting close by and grabbed for it. The top 2 tiers were saved but the lower ones crashed. She didn't put in any supports inside. But, great sport that she is, she just laughed and served her husband's family the upper layers and our family the toppled ones. We didn't mind a bit. She's a great gal and can laugh through anything. One of the weddings I can say I really enjoyed. Sliding color changing cake and all. Please no one get a bright colored cake for a birthday. At my granddad's 90th, my aunt ordered a NASA themed cake with dark blue icing. My Grandad worked in the space program after being in the air force during WWII. Everybody had a dark blue tongue and blue teeth. All these old people with blue lips and teeth! I love a simple cake with almond extract and some fresh ripe strawberries or peaches and whipped cream. I had a fantastic cake once made with 4 different pastel fruit flavored layers and also a very good Black Forest cake by a Belgian pastry chef who used to have a bakery in my city but has now retired. I'm too wary to try a special cake again but I love to make pies and decorate cupcakes with fresh flowers.
    ...See More

What size is your dream sewing table? cutting table?

Q

Comments (3)
    I think there would be as many different preferences as there are quilters on this one! I guess my "dream" table would be one that went around all sides except for the back but that's not possible for me. So I keep my sewing machine at the right end of a banquet table and use the rest for cutting. When I'm sandwiching the quilt I take the machine off and use the whole table, I also have it pulled away from the wall with enough room to sit between the table and the wall and also so that I can move all the way around it while doing the sandwiching part. But I do have a computer desk to the left to hold various tools, cup of coffee, TV remote, etc. and on the other side of the room a drafting/art table that usually holds piles of fabric, batting, etc. The only time-saving thing I don't do is have the iron anyway near me, so it's up and down and a few steps but that probably keeps my a&$ from becoming permanently welded to the chair!
    ...See More
  • mboston_gw
    12 years ago

I am a retired teacher and I would have loved to work with a publishing company on curriculum design. I think I have some really good ideas on how to help lower elementary kids with math concepts. I worked part time in our district helping to test for a particular grant program and saw how many kids were making the same types of mistakes from 2nd to 5th grade. All boils down to a lack of understanding number relationships. Anyway - I wish I could go back and design a program to help these kids.

BUT... if I were to have my own business, I would love to have a native plant nursery and incorporate it with an educational focus for butterfly and hummingbird gardening. We ( my friend and I have talked about this so many times) would have a place where schools could bring the students and we would do age appropriate lessons in the life cycles of the native butterflies and lessons on the migration/habitat of the hummingbirds we have in our area. My friend has experience with animal rehab and my being a teacher would be a perfect blend of talents. We both love gardening and start our own plants. My hubby and I even own property we could turn into a nursery. Problem is - I'm not young anymore and my friend is not well right now -. Too many "ifs" to start a business but I think we could have made a go of it in the right business market.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    12 years ago

I am a teacher and would dearly love to be a RETIRED teacher! ;) Old and cranky and tired tonight.

That being said, however, if I could start all over, I would be a classical musician (violinist or cellist) or a conductor.

• neetsiepie
    12 years ago

I think my current profession is as close to my 'dream job' as I can get until I retire and start a consulting/design business. I landed in Natural Resource regulation by pure chance almost 20 years ago (needed a job and I started out as a secretary-which only lasted about a year & a half- I'm NOT the clerical type!) Worked my way up and learned the laws doing permitting and for the past 4 years have been doing field work-hands on consultation and review for impacts to wetlands and waterways. If I could go back, I'd have majored in a fluvial geology course and taken engineering, but now I'm old & wise enough to know to subcontract out that work while I do the oversight!

My retirement plan is to do landscape design that specializes in properties with wetlands and water sources. With an emphasis on native and sustainable materials. I've seen too much damage done as a result of someone trying to replace native flora with sod & ornamentals next to a river or stream!

So I plan to start taking Master Gardener courses with on native plants and would like to get some autocad programs to use for design. I've got contacts for materials, know the regulatory requirements, and also have a good eye for landscape design (I've done a few small jobs here and there). So I guess I can say I'm pretty much close to doing my dream job!

• User
    12 years ago

I always wanted to be a nurse. I wrapped my baby dolls and my baby brother in home made bandages every chance I got. This was the early 50's. My paternal grandmother said that being a nurse was a dirty nasty job...Ok...

I continued to read Clara Barton and watch Dr Kildaire and Ben Casey and read Florence Nightingale.

I eventually majored in Opera and had a career. taught and performed. But then one day Momma got sick and there I was with 3 children and I was nursing her and the home health RN said ," you should go to nursing school". Well ...hmmm...should I ? DH said yes...you have always wanted to do this.

I was 36 yrs old and had 3 kids...and a DH that needs to go in to the history books for supportive spouse of the century.

I went back to school. Got a 4.0 and worked as an RN in the hospital for 1 1/2 yrs and left for ...you guessed...Home Health. I worked from 1991 til 2004 . Momma was living with us by then and Daddy had passed away while I was nursing him . I was purely worn out. I quit...didn't retire...quit. They said you can never come back and I said that is OK ...you know I have done what I needed to do and I have given all I can give.

I let my license lapse and I have never looked back. Sometimes our dreams as just that ...dreams. It was "the best of times and the worst of times". c

• OrchidOCD
    12 years ago

In it now - IT changes so rapidly there's no way to get bored, so it suits me for an actual career. Hobbies, though - those I go fanatic on and then swap out - glass fusing, metalsmithing, lapidary, polymer sculpture, etc. Actually did custom jewelry and sculpture as a career change for 3 years as a break from IT, and found turning a hobby into a job took the joy out of the work, so went back to IT as a career and picked art back up as a hobby - much more enjoyable and relaxing for me. As soon as I finish my 'to-do' list for house renovation/remod stuff, I'm moving into leaded stained glass - already have the next hobby lined up, and by the time I get bored with it, gardening will be back in full swing - some of my hobbies are enduring, others are ephemeral... I love my workroom, but not 18 hours a day every day's worth anymore.

• beekeeperswife
    12 years ago

I just want to do something creative. Haven't exactly figured it out yet. Been encouraged to get settled in my new location and start doing some scouting of beautiful interiors and exteriors and let the stylist from the BH&G magazine who came for the photo shoot mentor me and get into that business. I would love that.

Or, maybe I'll get a job after I go through the house building experience. They have already taken one of my suggestions and are incorporating it into a spec house that is under construction. That would be a creative outlet too.

"If you love what you do, you will never work another day in your life." so true.

• IdaClaire
    12 years ago

I'm very happy with what I do for a living, although if I were choosing a dream profession, I'd be a famous, sought-after artist living and working from my home studio near Santa Fe, New Mexico. To me, that would be just about heavenly.

• polly929
    12 years ago

My real profession:
    Physician Assistant in the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit. I work, nights, weekends, holidays. I am often caught in the middle of heart wrenching pain, and on the flip side extreme joy when the outcomes are good. It's been 13 years, and I'm starting to burn out.

My other Full Time Job:
    Mommy to 3- and this is far more stressful and demanding than said paying job.

My Dream Job:
    I'd love to be a florist. It sounds crazy, but there is something about being around flowers and tapping into my creative side that draws me to it. But it won't pay the mortgage and property taxes in central NJ- so I will continue to dream ;)

Trailrunner- Nursing and being on the frontlines of medicine are truly the most demanding jobs- I COMPLETELY understand!

• dgranara
    12 years ago

My real profession is Bankruptcy and Real Estate Paralegal. Honestly don't know how the heck I ended up here - it's so far from everything I love EXCEPT the real estate aspect. I'm a total real estalker I love seeing what's selling for what and where.

I too feel like I should've taken a chance with something creative - interior design or maybe writing. Also, I've always felt that I'd kick butt in advertising!

• mahatmacat1
    12 years ago

Orchid wrote: "found turning a hobby into a job took the joy out of the work"

Isn't that the truth! That applied to my first profession, theatre or should I call it, show business...the difference between the two is why I left it. Not a big self-promoter. Living the creative life professionally involves as much hustling as creating. Some people are made for it but I wasn't. I love creating things without the burden of having to sustain myself with it.

If I could have a dream profession, it might be something like wildlife vet, although the ongoing crisis wrt endangered species would be really trying to try to soldier through.

Honestly, I do seriously *love* community-based nonformal adult basic ed/ESOL, which I'm getting back to now that DD is in HS. The only danger in this field is my working myself sick again, because I love it so much.

• camlan
    12 years ago

Ever since I was about 9 years old and heard about book reviewers, that's what I wanted to be. Just sit at home and have people send me books that I get to read. The perfect life.

I never did figure out what credentials you need to be a book reviewer, so I became an editor. I read lots of books, but they are mostly textbooks and not very interesting. And I have to work on them and fix all the mistakes. Not the same job at all.

Polly929, my nephew is alive today because of nurses like you. He spent 6 months in NICU, came home on a ventilator with 18 hours a day of home nursing. He's now 13 years old, and while his orthopedic issues mean that he will always use a wheelchair, he is fully mainstreamed in school at the right grade level for his age, plays on a wheelchair soccer team, is a Boy Scout, loves Star Wars and will challenge anyone to a light saber fight, can talk to anyone about anything (in other words he won't shut up!) and wants to be a video game designer when he grows up. It took a lot of people a lot of time to keep him alive those first few years, and my entire family is very grateful.

• terezosa / terriks
    12 years ago

Actually my dream job would be an "expert" on some subject. You know the kind of person that gets interviewed when they need the definitive answer on something. Just never figured out what that field of study should be. I kind of like being the person that people turn to for answers.

• User
    12 years ago

Being a kept woman! Or independently wealthy. Or a trust fund baby.

Really, I would just like to experience what it would be like to not have to work. For a while. I'm sure I would get bored and want to do something...eventually...but it certainly wouldn't be what I do now. And I would like it to be something I enjoy and not because I need to pay the bills.

Something to do with houses, real estate, design.

• goldgirl
    12 years ago

I was also one who had trouble figuring out what I wanted to be when I grew up and always wished I were one of those people who were focused on one area. I've had a number of "careers," one in the intelligence community, one as a graphic designer, and one as a newspaper reporter. Working as a journalist was a perfect fit, but with the field shrinking and me approaching 50, I knew I needed to think about an alternate career.

I'd never dreamed of being a lawyer, even though the career tests I'd taken since childhood had always pointed to that. I really couldn't imagine a worse job. But, I became interested while dealing with attorneys as a reporter, and decided to dip my toe in the water by taking evening classes at a local law school. I found it incredibly challenging, yet rewarding, and am now in my fourth and final year. Just got a one year, post-grad clerkship with a judge, and am hoping to pursue Elder Law, influenced in part by legal struggles I've seen in dealing with relatives suffering from Alzheimer's.

But I also want to take a cake decorating class ;)

It's taken me a really long time to realize that having broad interests isn't such a bad thing. But like terriks, I'd really love to be an expert in something!

I would say to anyone considering a change - it's never too late! I feel like this is just the next step in the continuing journey.

• Sueb20
    12 years ago

This is interesting to read! I grew up wanting to be an artist. Went to college, majored in Studio Art, and quickly realized I didn't have enough talent to make that my primary career! Changed my major to English with a minor in Art in my sophomore year. Long story short, worked as a textbook editor til my first son was born, then continued to work freelance and/or part time until son #2 was born, then became a SAHM full time. After 3 kids, when youngest was a baby, I started to think that eventually, I was going to go back to work and I wanted it to be something I LOVED. I wasn't feeling the love for editorial work any more. What did I love? Puttering around my own house, decorating. So I went back to school for a certificate in Decorative Arts. While in school, friends and friends of friends started asking me for advice, and now, about 8 years later, I have a little part time business that has been going for maybe 5-6 years. In a way it's my "ideal" job because I can make my own hours and take most of the summer off. And I love it, most of the time. But, it's very erratic so I never know when I'm going be busy.

I have often thought I would love to own a little shop that sold interesting/antique/vintage furniture and decorative accessories, along with original artwork and pottery. I don't know why I've had that specific idea in my head -- I guess it's the kind of store I wish I had in my town! But I'm not willing to work weekends ;)

• busybee3
    12 years ago

i'm a nurse, but haven't worked in a few years...

trying to decide what to do when we're empty nesters... go back to school for something different in nursing or not... used to think i'd work as a high school nurse/guidance counselor or midwife some day, but i'm not sure i want to do those anymore...

i'm also thinking it would be really cool to become a wedding cake baker/decorator...may take some pastry chef classes down the road...???

• jlj48
    12 years ago

As a child, I always wanted to be a nurse. I grew up to be a social worker and worked in crisis intervention services for 11 years. I stopped to raise my children and have done a variety of part time jobs in the meantime. I've worked in a daycare at a gym, I was a mystery shopper, I was a pre-school director, and now I just finished my training to be a substitute teacher. I hope I like it. I would LOVE, LOVE, LOVE to have my own shop - just open a few days a week in an old renovated building where I would sell spruced up used furniture. I would love to buy pieces from estate sales and yard sales, improve the finish with paint and stain and resale. I can picture it now: classical music playing in the background, coffee brewing, candles burning, and me in my work apron coming to the door from the back room full of paint and stain fumes to greet a customer with "Can I help you?"

• dedtired
    12 years ago

I worked in Development (aka fund raising) for many years. The longer I was in it the more I hated it. I can look back now and see a few "forks in the road" where I went the wrong way. Oddly, my first job in development was doing direct mail fund raising -- all those letters you get in the mail! I really liked that. It was interesting to find the right lists of people to mail to and also creative to write the letter and design the package. The worst thing about fund raising is having to meet the goals. You get to the point where you will do almost anything to pry money out of people. It's not a good feeling.

I worked at a university for awhile and I wish I had looked for other work there. It was so stimulating to be around people who use their brains and aren't just corporate drones. I would have liked to be the Head Librarian of the Rare Books Department of the university library.

I have also thought that being a florist would be nice. I love that humid smell when you walk into a flower shop.

Another area that might have interested me is college counseling or career counseling. Who knows.

Someone once told me never to turn a hobby into a job because you will learn to hate it. Sometimes I think that enjoying what you are doing is the key and that you can find fulfillment in all kinds of work. I think happiness comes with doing a job well and being appreciated for your work.

• lynninnewmexico
    12 years ago

My dream career back in high school is still my dream career today, Marine Biologist. I would have been a good one, too. My father thought I'd party too much at a university down in Florida and refused to pay for me to go there. I became an RT (registered x-ray technologist) instead. Moved to Florida on the ocean 2 years later as head of the special procedures dept at a hospital there. I had lots of fun, was very active in all water sports, spent lots of my spare time scuba diving, did party some . . . and was still very good at my job. Dad was, sadly, so wrong about me.
    Lynn

• kitchendetective
    12 years ago

I want to be the person in charge of naming paint colors.

• dedtired
    12 years ago

Ooo, yeah -- that's the perfect job. I want to name the color for carpeting, too. I actually knew someone who did choose the names of paint colors. Her family owned a big paint manufacturing company.

• rmkitchen
    12 years ago

I have LOVED reading these responses!

Before having children my dream job, which I had done, was to be a goodwill ambassador, traveling the world, meeting locals, traveling (w-a-y) off the beaten path, becoming involved and doing good works (in a decidedly apolitical sense). I am so grateful I was able to do that in my 20s and early 30s. I loved it, and I was extraordinarily privileged to get to do, right out of the gate, what I loved and at what I excelled.

I did an MATESOL (teaching English to speakers of other languages), and MAIPS (int'l policy), and a PhD in political ethics. I pick up (and let go of) languages at the drop of a hat. I am the most gregarious person I know. I am touchy-feely, hugging anything which lets me. I have a ready smile. I love love love people and their stories, and my face shows it.

Then I had children and decided that in my 40s I'd get my DDS. It's a career which appears easy for a stay-at-home-mother, as I could've subbed for vacationing / recuperating dentists, and more, much more importantly, I could've continued traveling the world doing good dental works.

But, my five year-old developed Exceptional Needs and north became south, up became down, and I am still trying to figure out our footing, my footing, and never return to the depression I had after his regression. While I resent the hell out of how difficult, how stressful, how heartbreaking, how expensive our (therapeutic, medical) lives have become, I am eternally grateful for having my eyes opened to the beauty right here. Right here, which I can touch right here.

I have NEVER been a child person -- you know, someone who oohs and aahs over children. But having children helped get me there, and having my youngest tipped me way over the edge. I love children and I am a fierce advocate for all of them, but esp. the neediest among them. Children whose only hot meals are the breakfast and lunch they get at school; children whose families do not speak / read / write English, so have an extra burden upon them (as they have to interpret & translate for their parents, and they don't have the parental help with schoolwork, written in English, which most of us take for granted); children who are hurt (physically and / or mentally) by their caregivers, and children with disabilities. I love them. I love them madly.

So I have just started the process of getting credentialed to become a SpEd elementary teacher. As of now I only want to sub -- I'm so overwhelmed here at home that I don't think my heart and head can make the full-time commitment to a day-in / day-out class. But I can be a genuine, enthusiastic, compassionate and present sub.

So I guess now, given my life and circumstances, that will be my dream profession. I can't give up my five year-old or even my NT seven year-old, so returning to my previous dream job (goodwill ambassador) is not an option. No matter what I've done, what age I've been, what my life circumstances have been, I could never imagine not doing something which made a difference and which benefited others. I'm not esp. good at being a navel gazer .... I'm a doer.

• jterrilynn
    12 years ago

I'm another one that never figured out what to do when I grew up.
    Maybe I will finally come full circle in my late midlife? I was a creative kid who was always chosen to do the schools holiday bulletin boards or chosen for the towns little art show participants. I was also very good a building tree forts, the last designs where two story with winding stairs (the boys always took them over). However, I only lightly touched on jobs relating to a creative field when a young adult due to the need to survive financially. At that time I thought I would get serious and took a year's training course on dealing with the developmentally disabled in a hospital setting. I loved that job (state institution hospital) but when I moved to another state the same job had low structure and low health standards...hated it. Next up came my training by Altima II cosmetics which led to a job working for a modeling agency doing model makeovers for portfolios. I couldn't make enough money to survive so started bartending and ckt waitressing at a major Hotel chain which led to an onsite management training course in F&B. That money for the hours when you are at the low end bites. In the mean time I got married to a wonderful man and had two beautiful baby boys. For several years we bought, remodeled and sold homes. I learned that there was a name for what I was doing while husband was at work: I was a "subcontractor", designer, real estate agent and handy woman. Husband STILL tells people I did not work when the kids were young. Being a mommy was my first priority though but they did see way too much of the inside of HD, paint, hardware and more stores. Oh, and I also sold crafty art and off and on and dabbled in acrylic and oil painting. We also had an upscale restaurant for four years but that about killed us. Later, a short couple of years gig; I became a certified fitness trainer after starting in sales and later managing a small fitness club. In-between and from the beginning I have had a lot of health and bone joint problems and hope my hands don't completely betray me like my spine so I can at LAST (after sons move out and we down size) move on to really learning and improving on my oil painting. Whew, for never working I sure stayed busy.
    Dream job... having an in house studio where I can paint all day. I want to be a bit selfish and have my own frig in my little studio. If I'm hungry I want to make myself a sandwich without making sandwiches for everyone.

• User
    12 years ago

I really have enjoyed reading everyone's stories. That said I have to say that rmkitchen, your story made me cry and have goose bumps. I feel privileged to know you here on these forum. Thank you for your willingness to share . c

• stinky-gardener
    12 years ago

RMKitchen, thanks so much for posting! I was going to shout out for you to do so if you didn't!

Your posts are always fascinating. I remember you saying in one that you'd lived in numerous countries. I wondered what took you there, & what your academic/professional background was.

I admire your compassion and energy and living-on-the-edge-joie de vivre so much. (You also write beautifully.) Your dh must be a fascnating person too. Is he involved in international studies also?

No wonder your house looks so amazing...it simply reflects the interesting, dynamic individual you are! (Still would love to have a house tour in pics when you get a chance!)

Best wishes with all your endeavors. Keep us posted!

• jterrilynn
    12 years ago

Rmkitchen, I want to be like you when I grow up! I can't handle being so thoughtful and caring. My stint in the pediatrics section of the state institution years ago left me in a constant state of mental turmoil. I got too attached and didn't have enough education to learn the fine line of making the young residents more independent as opposed to counting on me for their wellbeing. An example was a 12 year that was supposedly developmentally delayed and legally deaf and blind. He had been on a waiting list for his parents to have him institutionalized for years. When he first came he figured out the only way to get attention was to sit in the middle of the floor and regurgitate and play in it. I took it upon myself to sit with him in a bean bag chair when he was being good. The kid was not used to any human contact/touch and would nearly rip me apart. Over time he stopped regurgitating he put on weight and really stated exceling on behavior and tasks. There were a few kids I was working with but that little guy still haunts me as he would travel through a big room full of young residents to sit by me and rest his head on my shoulder. For my certification I had to do time in each section of the hospital so after a short while I went to visit him and he had gone back to his original messed up condition. To this day (over 30 yrs later) I still worry that I screwed him up more. I just wish someone would have followed up were I left off though because he had so much more intelligence than what was originally thought. I would sometimes dream of ways I could adopt a few of those kids.
    You are a special person!!! How you have lived your life is special!

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    12 years ago

rmkitchen, good choice being a substitute. As a special ed teacher and a National Board-certified one, I can tell you that the job itself isn't exactly what you are picturing. I work in a school with kids just like the ones you describe (Title One, 69% ESOL, 80% free or reduced lunch, highest mobility rate in the district) and I love the kids and most of the parents. They are the only reason I am still teaching. I work in one of the largest and most successful school districts in the nation (we have the #1 public high school in our district). With No Child Left Behind, we are inundated with testing and paperwork. I feel as though I hardly ever get to teach as we did 10 or 20 years ago. There are so many requirements and tests that subjects are boiled down to "just the facts, ma'am). My schedule this year divides me between two classes (better than some recent years when I have had to co-teach with three general ed teachers) and their schedules are not well-coordinated to allow me enough time with my special kiddoes. There have been children over the years that I would have taken home with me had I been allowed. On a practical note, my salary was frozen for the previous two years (not even a COLA)and had also been frozen in the 90s. Beginning teachers make higher salaries than when I started, but the upper range has not changed. Every year, we end up taking home more work or staying later at school because it is just not possible to do everything in an 8 hour day. I have a homework club after school for some of my kids who can't read and have parents at home who can't read English. I routinely stay even later just to do my special ed paperwork. I try to get my gen ed stuff done during the day, but that isn't always possible.

I would definitely sub if I were you-all the joy, none of the pain. Also, in my district and those around us, you don't need to be a certified teacher to sub (we would never have enough subs if that were the case). All you need is a Bachelor's degree.

I would hate for your passion to just become "work" as others have said. I am not trying to burst your bubble, but with your heart and the demands on you at home, I just would hate to see you put all those hours in to become a licensed teacher only to discover that the time and stress won't work for you. I was a single parent when I went back to graduate school and sometimes I still regret the impact my job had on my son as far as coming home to an empty house and having to get himself off in the morning after I had already left for school, too.

• rmkitchen
    12 years ago

Wow -- you all are WAY too kind to me. (thank you! chocolate hugs & kisses to you all!) I reread my message and thought "what a pompous twit I am!" and that was me being *nice*. Ahem.

So in my 20s I never would have answered the question of "what's your dream car" with "minivan." But now I would! I think that minivan is a breeze, so convenient, fills all my needs, etc. and I'm grateful to have it. It's funny how time, experience(s) and circumstance change your perspective, like my heart now being with the SpEd children (primarily SpEd, but I'm gaga for children with Needs). My son has a type of epilepsy (Encephalopathy Status Epilepticus during Sleep, the Penelope Syndrome) so I actually found a job at the medical school doing a high level of research on epilepsy. Even though I have zippo medical background (although having this child has made his daddy and me like Lorenzo's Oil MDs, ha ha!) they offered me the position because of my particular passion for epileptology and I'm a pretty precise person. But I realized that while the research is important (and it's not at all related to my son's Encephalopathy) it won't fill my heart, it won't fulfill my heart's longing of working directly with children.

That heart is such a tricky, fickle organ!

jterrilynn and cyn427, I am so moved by your posts, heartbroken (because of how screwed up our society is), yet deeply moved.

jterrilynn, as the parent of a severely impacted child I will never be able to thank you enough for the tender loving kindness you showed that little boy. I had tears in my eyes reading it and have them now typing this. You are an angel. You are a truly beautiful person. I am scared to death about what will happen to my son when we die, if the people who work in the home where he will live will take such kind care of him, if they'll understand that he is, for all intents and purposes, an infant. He doesn't have a willful bone in his body. I worry if they'll protect him from abuse: that is my bete noir. We do also have an older son (now 7 years-old, so two years old than his little brother) and he's a good boy, a good big brother, but I just don't know how I can place on him this HUGE task of obsessing over his brother's care. To read what you did for that boy gives me soooo much hope and fills me with endless gratitude for YOU.

cyn247: I can't thank you enough for doing what you do, for working with an unglamorous population. Some friends of mine have said to me exactly what you said (about being able to hold back so I don't burn out for my children, for the children I [will hopefully] teach, or for myself) and that's how I came to the substitute idea. I can, when my children are older and I am emotionally sturdier, revisit having a class of my own. I am really drawn to the severely impacted children and, probably because my son is in Kindergarten, I love ECE (it's fresh in my mind and that's where I have the most experience at present). We'll see what I'm thinking as he gets older and I get more exposure to older severely impacted children. An ASD teacher in one of our district's ASD programs spent $4,500 out of her own pocket last year for supplies for her class: our district reimburses $400. I heard this from a coworker of hers but this colleague is not prone to hyperbole. That teacher loves her students so much she spent a few mortgage payments to give her students more.

That teacher is like you: giving so much of yourself to your students. I wish there were a way I could tell your son how literally exponentially much his and your sacrifices have given to countless children and the people who love them. Without knowing any of the children with whom you work I KNOW that is true. I want to thank your son for sharing you, and I do feel bad he had to share you, but as a Special mommy, I am so grateful to you for what you do and to him for letting you. I volunteer in my son's ILC every week and part of my package is I always take a baked good, usually sweet but occasionally savory. The teacher, the paras, the therapists, all of them enable me to sleep at night without taking an Ambien, without taking an Ativan. It's gotten to be a joke and my theme song amongst the staff is Huey Lewis' "I Want a New Drug." (if only it could be a song by Duran Duran -- band of my youth!) Those teachers, paras, therapists are that new drug! And I don't doubt for one moment you have been a tonic for countless families, too. Bless you!

During the interview for our new Superintendent (I was on the panel because I squeaked loudly enough!) he said "Those who come to school with the least deserve the most." Yes, yes and yes! I am so grateful our Board listened to our (the panel's) recommendation and hired him. Whether it's children with no food in their tummies, children who have an unsafe home life, children whose families do not speak / read / write English, or children with Special Needs, I concur!

stinky-gardener and trailrunner -- you both are far, far too generous with me! And I absolutely appreciate it. stinky-gardener, I still haven't gone through and photographed room-by-room (laziness because I know many on this forum expect rooms to be magazine-tidy, and we just don't live that way and truthfully, I don't want to spend my precious child-free time doing that kind of ephemeral neatening ...), but I did post some pictures in this thread last month. I am flattered you are interested. I should do it, even if it's our "natural" life.

xo!

• rmkitchen
    12 years ago

I was just flat-ironing my hair and ding ding ding it came to me: I do have a dream job.

I love minutiae. I would l-o-v-e to be one of those ear pickers you see in a Chinese park, not because I'm obsessed with earwax (although I do love telling the little children who come over that I've just baked a batch of earwax & booger cookies -- they LOVE that!) but because that kind of little-bitty detail would thrill me.

I like using a toothpick and q-tip to clean the gunk out of the keypad on the phones. Even though I complain about my slobby family (and my partner is far-and-away the worst offender) and what havoc they wreak in the kitchen, I like using those same tools to clean the bead detail on the doors / drawers. I find it so soothing, restful.

I'd also love to be a porcelain restorer: building a frame to support the piece as I carefully figure out where all the shards belong, like an intricate puzzle. I'm not a puzzle person, but for some reason this kind of restoration delights and enthralls me. Just thinking about it now I feel peaceful and content.

And walking. I have no idea what job would ask that I walk for hours on end, not walking a dog or walking with anyone, but just walking ... I'd like that. Maybe I could push someone in a wheelchair who needs to be out of doors for three hours at a time??? Seems unlikely. But if there were a job for walking I'd like that. A lot.

If I could do all these jobs, but esp. ear picker and porcelain restorer, I'd be one happy girl. Of course I'd be even happier if I could eat disgusting amounts of cookie dough during my breaks (and get neither sick nor fat). But I'm trying to not be greedy!

• newdawn1895
    12 years ago

There are such kind and sweet people just so geniune on here. Do I belong here? (jk!)

When I was a little girl I wanted to be on broadway.
    Then when I was twenty two I meet a man in my building who owned a recording studio. He wasn't a boyfriend or anything, he was an older man who happened to be gay. But, for some reason he took a liking to me.

OMG, he had pictures of himself with Judy Garland and Liza and other famous people all over his apartment.

Then one day Lorna Luft (Liza's sister) was going to be appearing at the Fisher Theatrea in Detroit, just a few miles away from my apartment. He asked if I wanted to be her dresser for $120.00 a night for nine nights. I got scared and said NO. I really regret that, who knows what could of turned out from that? Although, does anyone ever hear anything about Lorna, nope.
    That isn't my point however. The point is go for your dreams and don't be afraid.

When I grew up I became a hairdresser and make up artist and worked for Saks for several years.

I am retired now,but I am thinking of becoming a wig representive and selling them to cancer patients or just anyone who wants a change.

I am wearing a wig below, not that I need it, but I do like change. It was very windy that day and it looks a little wind blown. So, that is my next adventure and I'm not going to be scared. Or at least that is what I am telling myself.
    {{gwi:1524232}}

• User
    12 years ago

You look wonderful Jane ! You have a gorgeous smile. c

• stinky-gardener
    12 years ago

Great idea, Newdawn! You look fabulous! You know a lot about hairstyling and makeup, and you have a lot of warmth too! I know you'd be great with people as they selected their wigs. My sis just lost her hair again (second round of chemo) & is wearing a cute short wig these days.

You look very Carly Simon-ish, which is a huge compliment from me, as I adore Carly! She's artsy and creative and very attractive and unique...much like you!

• newdawn1895
    12 years ago

Thanks Caroline and stinky, your so sweet. I love Carly Simon, THANK YOU.

But, I didn't mean to high jack the thread.

.....Jane

• newdawn1895
    12 years ago

Gawd, can I kill a thread or what? Please don't stop talking because of me, on this subject.

OMG, I can't thank Stinky and Caroline enough. What compliments they gave me and I am thrilled. They both know how I feel about them, I think.

.....Jane

• stinky-gardener
    12 years ago

You are no thread killer, Jane! It's great that you posted your pic and shared your career aspirations...that's what this thread was for!

Someone else will be along shortly with a contribution. If not, then you gave us a great ending to an interesting thread, but you didn't "kill" it!

• suero
    12 years ago

I started a collection of dirty jobs, as in "It's a dirty job, but someone has to do it." I was inspired by someone telling me about her son's job: surfboard designer. For every hour he spent in the lab designing surfboards, he spent two hours at the beach testing out the design. A very dirty job.
    Then there was the yacht deliverer. No, this wasn't the person who took the yacht on a shakedown cruise to discover problems. He got the yacht when the problems were fixed and sailed the yacht to its new owner. He delivered yachts to the Mediterranean and the Carribean. Another very dirty job.

• peaceofmind
    12 years ago

After a long and rewarding career working in public libraries, I retired and now spend most of my time gardening and related activities. I became a Master Gardener and enjoy working in public gardens and answering gardening questions as a Hotline volunteer. I received a general email one day asking for help writing the gardening column in our local newspaper. This was a big dream of mine but I had no confidence to actually do it.
    However, I had recently read Steve Jobs commencement address he'd given at Stanford University. His advice to proceed without fear to follow your dreams was the opposite of how I'd lived my life. I'd always been a fearful person. My older brother and sister were exceptionally gifted people and I decided early on that my best chance in life was just to stay invisible. I was fairly average and never did anything that would call attention to myself.

Because I'd just read and been very impressed by Jobs' speech I decided to volunteer to write the column. I had no particular credentials and I was sure there would be others much more qualified who would volunteer. The point was just to step out of the shadows and make myself available. Now I'm writing that gardening column and enjoying it very much. I'll always wonder what I could have accomplished if I'd learned to proceed without fear when I was young.

• hhireno
    12 years ago

Wow, POM, I am so excited for you! I think it's wonderful that you're taking the chance and writing the column. Don't spend any time thinking about what may have been. We can't change the past and we shouldn't spend any time or effort thinking about it. Go forth sharing your Master Gardener knowledge.

• deeinohio
    12 years ago

How wonderful, peaceofmind! I, too, was inspired by Jobs' speech, but doubt I would have taken it to heart when I was in my 20s like I have now that I'm in my 50s.

And, I believe my grandchildren, who I now have time to spend hours in the library with, will remember the children's librarian there with the same affection they'll remember their favorite teacher, so I'm sure you've already helped countless others live better lives.
    Dee