SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
texas_al

High Humidity in new house

16 years ago

We have been in our house for almost 4 weeks and find that we are having trouble getting our humidity levels below the mid 50s. Sometimes as low as 51, but mostly 55-58%. Upstairs tends to be higher.

I spent a fortune on separate 2-stage Trane systems (XL16i) with variable speed air handlers.

Problem is, there is no way to know whether either system is running at high speed or low, nor at what speed the fan is running in the air handler. Is there some way to tell, so I can be sure its working properly? The units are very quiet and the air flow always seems the same - pretty good flow but no noise.

It has been raining almost every day which might have something to do with it, and the temps have been abnormally low for this time of year (uppper 70s to upper 80s whereas usually in mid to upper 90s by now).

I have also heard that new homes have alot of moisture in the lumber, etc and that it will take a while to get the humidity down.

I have the thermostats to get the humidity down to 45% but they will only run until the temp is 3 degrees below setpoint. So, almost any time you look at either of the 2 thermostats, the temp is 3 degrees below the setpoint.

Should I be worrying, or is it probably just odd weather conditions?

Comments (6)