SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
linnea56chgo5b

Washers: please explain high efficiency advantages vs. agitator

I would VERY much appreciate recommendations for top loaders to replace my 27 year old GE Filter-Flo. We are 2 empty nesters, so our use is not heavy. I don't want a front loader. The laundry room is adjacent to the kitchen, so noise is a factor. It doesn't need to be the quietest, but not really noisy either.

When I went shopping last week for a new one, most dealers had chiefly the High Efficiency type with no agitator. I did not get a really clear explanation for why they are so desirable, nor how the use in practice and cycles really differ from an agitator machine. All I know is that they use less water, which is not a priority for me.

I wanted to stick with an agitator as that's what I know. My mode of washing clothes is also to soak them before running the load, as I feel it get them cleaner (I'm a gardener, work outside, and do other dirty/dusty tasks. Spraying clothes with water, if that's really how they work: would not be enough). And if they can't be soaked, then that won't work for me. I also soak some things in a small amount of hot water, then add to the load and add more warm water to run the load. Might be weird but it works for me. I work at home so I can do this.

If I am not understanding the way the High Efficiency machines work, please tell me.

I checked Consumer reports, and they recommended ONLY the high efficiency machines, and no agitator models. So now I don't know what to do.

Thanks for your advice.

Comments (6)