SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
palimpsest

Gender-related 'appropriate' constructive criticism.

palimpsest
12 years ago

I will preface this by making a couple of statements. I wear scrubs at work. I work in female-dominated environments (this morning 16:1 exclusive of patients). Unlike many men I cycle through crew cut--normal length hair and clean shaven--facial hair regularly...maybe more than seasonally. (This mostly has to do with an autoimmune skin condition and neuropathic pain in my lower jaw that is always there but kicks into high gear on occasion). Also my weight fluctuates due to a medication anywhere from about 130-145 (I'm small)

Anyway, consider the following statements, sometimes the "opening statement" of the morning or afternoon.

Grey scrubs aren't your color, it highlights the grey in your hair and you look old.

Tan scrubs aren't your color, you look like a child molester in a jail uniform.

Why did you cut your hair? You look like a little boy with a crew cut.

Why don't you cut your hair, you look better with a crew cut?

Why did you shave your beard, you look like a little boy without it?

Thank god you shaved your beard, it was ugly.

You look better with a little bit of a belly, more mature.

Why are you so skinny? Did you stop eating again Mr. Manorexic?

And at my thinnest with short hair: You look like c rap, do you have cancer?

Your skin is all blotchy, is that your rash or did you just drink a lot last night?

These are all apparently well intended comments made by women I work with and I am supposed to take this constructively.

I Never comment on anyone's appearance because that is considered inappropriate according to administrative policy but I have had my head torn off for answering direct questions in the affirmative such as:

"do you like this hair color?" "yes, it looks better this color" "Well what was wrong with the way I NORMALLY HAVE IT?!" etc.

Why is this? Do men at your work look at you and say "You look terrible?" I don't know since I don't work directly with lots of men, but I can't imagine the conversation going the other way....

Comments (49)