SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mommyof5_gw

Just met w/ cabinet maker and need opinions

mommyof5
16 years ago

I'm planning creamy white cabinets for the perimeter and a stained island for the kitchen in our new build. I figured most painted cabinets were maple, but the cabinet guy said he uses birch and he doesn't paint he uses a pigmented stain. Does the type of wood matter since the perimeter cabs are not stained? This guy did my sister's new kitchen and she has stained birch cabinets. He said he does put a sealer on the wood before staining because birch tends to get splotchy. I didn't notice that my sister's cabinets look splotchy, but her molding in the house is also birch and it really looks splotchy. I definitely don't like the look of her trim.

Is birch as durable as maple? I know the cabinets will show wear more being painted, but I would think a hard wood would help lessen dings and scratches. Also, is the pigmented stain more durable than paint?

The kitchen will have 8' ceilings. I want some cabinets to go to the ceiling (above the cooktop, in the corners, etc...) He said he prefers making the cabinets 3" taller than the others because the ceilings may not be completely level after drywall mudding and the molding will have gaps in some areas. Okay, that makes sense, but is 3" enough of a height difference? Any thoughts or advice on this would be appreciated!

Comments (11)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH