SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
remodeler_matt

In-line vent fan as whole house fan?

remodeler_matt
16 years ago

Hi all:

I'm trying to come up with a cheap, simple way to ventilate my house at night. We live in NorCal, with hot summer days and cool nights. We have a 2400 sq ft, single story ranch. About half of that is a great room with cathedral ceilings, the rest conventional 8-ft. ceilings. The cathedral ceiling was installed as part of a large remodel and is highly insulated.

We've been very happy with the thermal performance of the house, and despite temperatures over 90 most days since April 1, we have yet to run the A/C this season. We open the windows at night, put in a box fans in a couple of open windows, and usually cool the place down to within 4 degrees of the outside temp, largely thanks to having nice night breezes most of the year. Temps inside stay about 15 degrees cooler than outside temps during the day.

Occasionally, however, either because of no breeze or because it reverses during the night, we get much less cooling in the house, and higher peak temps during the day. To help combat this I thought I would install an in-line duct fan to take suction from an opening in the wall near the peak of the cathedral ceiling. I was thinking of using a Panasonic Whisperline fan that claims to move 472 cfm while using only 132 watts, installed in an 8-inch duct. Total cost to me, including the needed ducts, would be around $200.

Anyone done this? Would it help? I see most whole-house fans are much larger (on the order of 2400 cfm on up), so I'm concerned about how effective my plan would be. But for $200 I figure I can't go too wrong. I also think it would be very quiet, compared to the airplane engines that most WHFs sound like.

Sorry for the long post. I've researched the heck out of this, but found very little information for comparison. Your input is greatly appreciated.

Comments (10)