SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tcjohnsson

Whole house fan in home next to freeway?

tcjohnsson
16 years ago

I'm building a duplex RIGHT NEXT TO THE FREEWAY in Honolulu, Hawaii. The home will have split air conditioning (likely Fujitsu's Inverter product) but I wanted to explore the possibility of installing a whole-house fan for both units. The home will be split level and will not have an attic space. Would it be possible to install a through-the-wall type system that could operate and still insulate the interior from exterior traffic noise?

The idea is that on cooler dryer days, I won't need to run the a/c. I could just turn on the whole house fan and remove/introduce new air into the home without opening any windows (which would be very noisy). Problem is that traffic noise would likely enter from the area open to allow air into and out of the unit. Is there anyway to resolve this? Maybe run a pipe a certain distance that can help reduce the noise? Maybe there is technology out there that can reduce the exterior noise from entering the interior even while the fan is running? It's a long shot but worth trying. Thanks in advance for any help.

Comment (1)