SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mitchdesj2

Lipstick on your Collar

mitchdesj
14 years ago

As a complement to the foundation thread, which has taken off again, I thought I'd share a favorite lipstick color, Verve from Mac is my next purchase, but I just applied a coat of Bobbi Brown Plum 15, Metallic Lip Color, it's really nice,

medium color, not glaringly metallic either.

I also adore Nars velvet matte lip pencils, they are fat pencil shape and goes on very moist, I use them all over my lips on their own, not just for lining.

I have the color Bahama , a brownish pink, kind of a natural lip color ( if one were to have perfect natural lip color ). ( I also have another color, where is it?)

Also in my purse was another favorite, Clinique's color surge butter shine,

a rather sheer coverage, in Crushed Grape ( I also have it in a chocolate tone, where is it ?); some days I like something very sheer, for going to the gym and not looking too made up, lol....

Those 3 were in my bag just now, and I like them all.

The 2 that I'm missing will resurface soon, I always seem to misplace them.

Any favorites to share ?

Comments (20)

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    14 years ago

M.A.C.'s "O". It's a fab red lipstick. Looooove it! :)

• User
    14 years ago

I just don't think I was meant to wear lipstick. I like to do my eyes up more and keep the rest of the face pretty plain.
    I do love the look on other people if they can pull it off.

On a regular basis, I'm a big fan of Bobbi Brown Shimmer Lip Gloss in Pink Sugar paired with M.A.C. lip pencil in Whirl. Just enough gloss and slight shimmer to plump up my lips.

This is a reminder for me that I need to order more!

• Related Discussions

"Lipstick On My Collar"

Q

Comments (8)
    Spapa, Sorry about the weather ( snow ) I wish everyone could live in California. Only qualification you must be HOOKED ON CACTI & SUCCULENTS LOL... Thanks Josh, I dont think the pictures came out very clear, they are supposed to be Lipstick on my collar one pic is on a Red jacket collar barely showing & the other on a White shirt. I guess it takes a professional Camera cuz its hard to notice. The Playa was fantastico :) & I went to a beach that has rocks every where so I picked up a bunch to do a little project. Pictures coming in a few days, you can count on it Lol.. notolover, KEYS!!! Now thats rubbing it in lol.. I did enjoy myself tho, just my wife & one of the Grandsons, we had a blast temps were about 79 81ð :) For those in the snow, I feel you :/ Greg
    ...See More

My Prized Seedling Baby

Q

Comments (15)
    Lovely, just lovely! The green throat really sets off the creamy colors. How about "Dessert Kisses","Love's Blush" "Subtle Caress" , " Girly Girl", " Gentle Touch", "Gime a little Kiss", " Tender Kisses", "Delicate Damsel", Wow this is fun. I better stop though. You'll know the right name when it comes. Congratulations on your beauty.
    ...See More

Guts vs balls

Q

Comments (14)
    Gwanny- slide that Windex over this way, my monitor looks the same! Trish
    ...See More

Re-harness or collar for your dog.

Q

Comments (0)
    Well I am happy to say that my husband brought our dog in to my work today & had her harness on her not the collar that he always puts on her. So having him read all your responses really helped-Biscuit & I thank you all!!
    ...See More
  • yborgal
    14 years ago

I use several colors at the same time. I outline with Lancome's Bronzelle lip liner. I use Estee Lauder's Caramel Toffee on my lips. And I go over the center of my bottom lip with Nars' Fever.

My lips feel naked without a lip liner. I'd almost rather line my lips than apply full color if I had to make a choice between the two.

Anybody else addicted to lip liners?

• work_in_progress_08
    14 years ago

Following closely, as I look like a corpse without lipstick. A friend recommended the lipstains over the summer, and gave me one - I think maybe they are a Cover Girl product? I know it was a drugstore product, but are a great base or just alone to run an errand or go to the gym or beach. If I can only have 2 products on the island they would be lipstick and mascara:P

• stinky-gardener
    14 years ago

I'm with you, Monablair, on the necessity of lipliner, & yes, I also use several products simultaneously! I never do my lips without liner. I don't spend big on liners or lipsticks. My old favorite for years was made by Wet & Wild for 99 cents, but they discontinued my color. Now I use Rimmels's Exaggerate pencil in Allure & wait for the buy one get one free deal Walgreens often has on Rimmel.

I have lots of lipsticks, but my favorite, almost every day look, is the Allure pencil, followed but a smidge of Jane's Peach Perfect lipstick (which is not peach, but rose) topped with Estee Lauder's Pure Color Crystal gloss in Light Copper. I also like Clinique's Full Potential gloss in Luscious Lilac, Blackberry or Glamourful when I'm wearing pinks & purples. My favorite hot pink lipstick to wear underneath those glosses is Wet & Wild #918B. It's just as pretty as Lauder's Rubellite, another pink shade I use. Though I have drugstore glosses, that is one lip product that I do prefer dept. store brands for. They are longer lasting & less gloppy. The Lauder Copper is my all-time favorite. It really looks good over any lipstick, & would work with any skin tone.

• dilly_dally
    14 years ago

Thank you so much for mentioning the Cover Girl lip stain work_in_progress_08.

I was using Benetint and loved it, but was looking for something cheaper out there. I posted a request on the Beauty & Fashion Forum but never received a reply. I even bumped it up once to refresh the post.

I just went and read the reviews on Cover Girl Outlast lip stain and the reviews are great and the cost is 75% less than Benetint.

Woot.

$28.00

$7.00

Here is a link that might be useful: Benetint

• stinky-gardener
    14 years ago

Dilly, don't know if this is the review you already read, but here's another glowing endorsement of your new find:

Here is a link that might be useful: CG lipstain

• Sueb20
    14 years ago

My all time favorite has been Clinique's Almost Lipstick (I think that's what it's called) in Black Honey. The color goes on a light lighter than you'd think, and it's basically a sheer gloss that isn't sticky. Problem is, no lip color lasts very long on me.

• mitchdesj
    Original Author
    14 years ago

ah Sueb, I love that product and used it before; someone had told me it wasn't made anymore, now I just looked it up and it's widely available. I could put that on without a mirror, it was very forgiving.
    thanks for reminding me, I'm going to get me one.

• stinky-gardener
    14 years ago

Yes, Sue & Mitch, & does anyone remember Clinique's Black Honey lipgloss in the little green pot? That was the first makeup item I ever used! Bought it with my allowance when I was 14! The Almost Lipstick in Black Honey is really the same thing in stick form ( much more user-friendly). It is a great color. Just a dab looks so natural or you can layer it on for more depth. Clinique's Blackberry Full Potential gloss is similar.
    I don't like makeup, do I?

• natal
    14 years ago

I like something sheer. Loved Club Monaco's Glaze, a la Monica Lewinsky, but it's no longer available. Thought about having the formula duplicated at Three Custom, but never did. Have any of you used that service?

I was curious about the CG Outlast, but reviews I've read aren't very good. I don't like any product that's drying.

• Sueb20
    14 years ago

mitch, it can be hard to find, which is why I bought 3 of them the last time I found them!

• mitchdesj
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I remember finishing mine a year ago and not being able to find more when I was in Florida. I'm going shopping tomorrow so I'll stop by a few places and see if it turns up.

• dilly_dally
    14 years ago

"I was curious about the CG Outlast, but reviews I've read aren't very good. I don't like any product that's drying."

I went and bought some after reading this thread. I was that excited about it (and I am completely out of Benetint as of this week).

I put it on to try at home and it seems moister than Benetint and a bit heavier. The wand with the pointed tip made it easier to apply that the wide brush that comes with Benetint. It also seems to have a slight fruit flavor which is something I do not care for in a lip color. As of now, it has LASTED through a greasy dinner, several cigarettes smoked, and a dish of ice cream. I am impressed. A+++++++++

I guess I will know tomorrow if the product is drying to the lips. I do not think it will affect me as some users said the same about Benetint and I never found it to be a problem. I think that if your lips are already dry and chapped, that a tint or stain will make it more noticeable. That is all. One must make sure to exfoliate the lips before using or you will end up with red, stained, dry flakes around the lips. You don't have to buy any of that special lip exfoliator that they sell in department stores - just use your rinsed toothbrush after brushing and scrub the lips.

One exciting thing about the Cover Girl Outlast lip stain is that it comes in many different shades. Benetint only came in one reddish shade. I chose the Mauve since I wear lip stain when not wearing eye make-up. If this CG Outlast turns out to be a great product for me, I may try the brown or red to go under lipstick. That way if my vivid, deep, lipstick wears off I still have some tint under it instead of pasty lips.

In some of the reviews users wore lip gloss over it and the stain stayed and the lips were moister.

One downside to CG Outlast lip stain, is that it is not a lip and cheek stain like Benetint is. I sometimes used Benetint as a sheer cheek stain and I can tell that Outlast will not work for this nor is it advertised as such.

Another thing is that along with the cheaper cost there is less product, A bottle of Benetint lasts like forever.

• redbazel
    14 years ago

I actually like makeup more now than I did in my teens and twenties. And I was pretty sold on it then. I put on foundation, line my eyes, mascara, brow brush my brows, line my lips and fill in with lipstick, on days when I'm just gonna be home cleaning. That's basic. And it's the rare day that no makeup touches my face.

I stand proudly with Mona on the lipliner question. Must-Have-Lipliner. In fact, my absolute favorite, is a flat pencil from a company called Stili Style. When it was sold in the local drug store, a short walk down the shopping center from work, I had the eye pencils, the sharpeners, and several colors from the lip liner pencils. But they discontinued. Last week, I found them online, and tonight, just before checking this board, my package arrived with two lip liner pencils in Carnaby, a color that closely matches most all of the lipsticks I wear. Ridiculous to have lipliner shipped, in a box, to my home. But I love that they go on smooth, and that you can easily line and fill in with these pencils. And you must have the sharpener. The eye pencils are fine, but not the best eyeliner out there.

My lipsticks? Well, I already said on the Foundation thread that I love Verve by M.A.C. I also love Boots lipsticks, available at Target. I like #35 and #60.
    And I have quite a few lipsticks from various companies that I like in various degrees. But I've been mostly wearing the Boots Stay Perfect.

Red

Here is a link that might be useful: Styli-Style Flat Lip Pencil in Carnaby St.

• mitchdesj
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Found the" almost lipstick" in black honey and bought 2; the girl said they run out from time to time, it's very popular.

• vdinli
    14 years ago

Can I ask you all a very basic question? when you line your lips and fill it in with lipstick, does the liner outlast the lipstick? I guess I need to refresh my lipstick more often, as I am an eat them up kind of girl..good thing I wear make up almost next to never!

• work_in_progress_08
    14 years ago

Glad you liked the CG lipstain. I tried the colorlast or whatever that CG product was with the color on one end and the gloss on the other. That product for me was indeed, very drying.

The discovery of the CG lipstain happened at the beach for me. I actually thought my friend had some permanent coloring done as her lips looked really nicely colored all day. Not dry, just enough color so you don't look dead. lol Fortunately, we know each other well enough that I could ask "the" question about whether the color was a permanent procedure. She laughed heartily and the next time we met, she brought me a tube of the lipstain. I have 3 different colors now. Love them. You are right, you can't use them for cheekstain as well, but for the price, you can't beat the product.

• redbazel
    14 years ago

The lipliner question is ambiguous for me. When I use most lipliners, the ones with a sharp end that you draw on as you would draw a set of lips on paper.......yes, the liner can outlast the lipstick. I reapply during the day, even when I use an 8 hour+ lipstick, so I don't usually have too much of a problem. But that's why I like the stili style that I linked. I line with the flat edge and fill in a bit too. So if I "eat off" my lipstick or wear it off, I still look like I'm wearing some.

Red

• dilly_dally
    14 years ago

Work_in_progress_08, I love the CG Outlast, and I can't thank you enough for taking the time to recommend it. Just for a test, I wore it to sleep and it did not come off on the pillows, and I woke up with tinted lips. I wore it again today and it lasted all day through everything.

For those of you who are discussing lip liner I would check out the CG Outlast to use as a liner instead of all over the lips. It has a very pointy end for precision application. It lasts forever. I never cared much for lip liners as I found them too hard and waxy to apply, and they seemed to 'skip' when applying and I ended up with a dotted line. The pencils always had to be sharpened. The CG Outlast does not have those issues.

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz