SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
annie1992_gw

My Easter Cake

annie1992
16 years ago

Finally, my computer at home is up and running. Well, a different one. My old one was obsolete and beyond repair so Elery replaced the tower with a refurbed unit from Dell.

Anyway, I got it all put back together last night and finally got my DSL connection back and can post pictures again!

I had decided that Easter was a good time to experiment with fondant, something I hadn't done before. Makayla wanted a cake that "looked like the Easter Bunny dropped his eggs in a garden". LOL Well, she's the boss, so we tried.

The recipe was 1 cup corn syrup, 1 cup shortening and 2 pounds of confectioner's sugar. It sounded pretty icky, and I sure wasn't going to make it by hand! Nancy's big Kitchen Aid earned its keep, making a nice spring green fondant:

{{gwi:1518681}}

I had already assembled the sugar egg. It took several tries before I successfully carved the window in the front, placed the Bluebird of Happiness in the back half with frosting, added the front with the window and glued it all with royal icing. Odd, I don't remember it being so time consuming when Grandma made them and I watched....

{{gwi:1518683}}

The remainder of the royal icing was tinted pink and green and used for flower decorations. Gotta have flowers in the garden, you know.

Finally I added some little friends to the front of the cake, just to keep that bluebird happy. A couple of bunnies and a duck did the trick.

{{gwi:1518687}}

Well, I don't know if I got the facsimile of the Easter Bunny dropping his egg in a garden, but I tried. Lots and lots of sugar, at any rate, and it was easier than I had anticipated. The kids were tickled to death and spent the day eating the royal icing flowers, ignoring the three layer fudge filled dark chocolate cake under the fondant!

Annie

Comments (33)