SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lsimon77_gw

Can I seal vent to drywall with Duct Tape?

lsimon77
9 years ago

This actually relates to bathroom ceiling vent fans that were recently installed to replace some older units. Due to a size different between the new and old fans there is a gap between the edge of the fan and the drywall. Also the bottom of the fan sits on top of the drywall and does not actually enter the drywall hole in the ceiling.

There is also a small cosmetic issue: You can see through the grill and see the rough "seam" between the drywall and the edge of the vent.

I'd like to run some duct tape to wrap slightly around the edge of the drywall onto the painted ceiling to seal this. The vent grill overlaps the vent opening by an inch or two so a 1/2 inch or so wrap of tape on the ceiling wouldn't be visible. Also, the ceiling was recently painted with a nice semi gloss finish so I'd think this would be a nice clean surface for the tape to grip.

It seems to me this would be good both for the cosmetic visual issue and to seal the gap between the vent and ceiling. But I was wondering if there are reasons this wouldn't work well.

Also - should I use regular "duct" tape for this or HVAC foil tape?

This post was edited by lsimon77 on Thu, Jun 19, 14 at 20:53

Comments (7)