SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
barb5_gw

Vet Bills for Dental Cleaning

barb5
14 years ago

Another post about a beloved pet. We have a 3 year old shih tzu, and he is dearly loved. I took him into the vet today for his yearly physical and to update his vaccines. The vet took a look at his teeth, and he has tartar, and she actually made one of his teeth bleed by scraping it up by the gum (periodontitis).

She gave me an estimate of what it would cost to clean his teeth under anesthesa, and also if they have to extract a tooth. The low estimate was $800, and the high estimate was $930.

I have to say I was shocked. Are these charges in line with what any of you have paid?

I understand the need to do this. And the vet doing this specializes in dental care -my vet said he was board certified (didn't know there was such a thing for vets). The costs include preanesthesia blood work, iv with fluid, anesthesia with additional charges depending on how long our dog is under, hospitalization stay (wasn't charged for this when we got the pug puppy neutered), a charge for surgical monitoring of heart and lungs, antibiotics and oral pain meds, dental xrays, and perhaps an extraction if needed at $110.

Should I do a little comparison shopping?

Comments (29)

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH