SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
auchmedden_gw

Suggestions needed for small peninsula in small kitchen

auchmedden
16 years ago

Hi all. We were planning an extensive kitchen/DR addition and renovation until we got the construction quotes. ( I am still reading the kitchen forum because I am TKO and want to see what you all are doing since I can't do anything myself!) We are now house hunting and getting this house ready to sell.

We have a 9' x 10' kitchen with off-white painted cabinets (brushed nickel knobs) and light gray mottled corian counters. We are planning on replacing the green vinyl floor with cork since that is what I was planning for the addition and I really want to see how I like it for future reference. I am planning on matching the shade of the cork to the medium stained oak hardwood in the rest of the house.

Here's my question. We are removing one wall in the kitchen to open it up visually. That wall currently has a narrow counter that sits between the wall and the side of the fridge. Without the wall, I could double the size of the counter and put two stools at it. What material should I use for this counter? It does not touch any of the other counters. I have been thinking of trying to get a granite remnant in honed virginia mist or some other gray color, but then I wonder about mixing stone and solid surface counters in one room. Another way to go might be to have our builder friend/woodworker make a counter out of wood (mahogany perhaps) to tie in the floor color.

What do you suggest? TIA. - Stephanie

Comments (5)