SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lockian

Ductwork in a new house with baseboard hot water?

lockian
10 years ago

** Cross-posted on Building a New House - sorry I was not sure where I should be posting this! **

All,
My wife and I are building a new house in upstate NY. It is a modular house, and comes with an energy-star rated baseboard hot water system for heat. I want central A/C at the same time, but do not like forced air heat and strongly prefer the nicer/even heat of baseboard hot water.

Would it be weird to have both baseboard heat and central A/C in a new house? We have to make a decision now, because the house has not yet been built at the factory. The cost for getting ductwork is about $2300.

My reasons for wanting the ductwork as stated above are a preference for central A/C. In addition, I also want a whole house humidifier and an air exchanger. I do not want to deal with portable humidifiers and hauling window A/C units every year up and down the attic, and prefer to not mount window units. I have also heard that modern homes are built so tight that indoor air quality can get pretty bad, and it is a good idea to have an air exchanger.

Based on your knowledge and experience, what do you think? Is it going to be worth the extra spending?

Thanks!

Comments (7)