SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lindac_gw

Paschal lamb or the paschal ham?

15 years ago

What's on your Easter manu?

I'm doing lamb...likely asparagus with hollendaise or maybe roasted with sesame seeds and garlic...baby greens and spinach salad with strawberries and my favorite honey mustard dressing.

I was thinking creamed dilled potatoes....but thinking oven roasted.

Bunny buns....made by my daughter and her daughter ( Yes! The torch is passed!!!) eggs...pickles or devilled....probably devilled... blue cheese....and carrot cake and maybe home made angelfood...

I mean isn't sweets what it's all about?

So what' cha cookin'?

Linda C

Comments (10)

• 15 years ago

Aside from it not being traditional, is there anything wrong with serving beef for Easter? Too many of us aren't crazy about ham, and those of us who do like lamb are going to be having it the following weekend. I was thinking about Beef Wellington.

• 15 years ago

FOAS, are you talking about Orthodox Easter? All I know for sure is that I will be making paskha and kulich - beyond that I haven't decided on any menu items.

I wanted to have lamb for regular Easter this year, but the family mutinied and we hare having ham again. We will also have asparagus (roasted), canded carrots (DS#2 request), spinach salad with a fruity balsamic dressing, some sort of rolls (I am thinking dill rolls), and LindaC's Carrot Cake for dsessert.

And chocolate eggs - way too many of them LOLOLOL!

Alexa

• 15 years ago

Alexa - Yes I am, but Greek not Russian. Growing up we often celebrated a second Easter (and Christmas, back in the day) with close Russian friends, and now half of my wife's side is Greek. Coincidentally my Russian "cousin" became a Greek priest. Go figure!

• 15 years ago

FOAS, I think it's perfect, you get to have two holiday meals!

I think I'm doing that turkey breast in my freezer, Maggie sent me the coupon back at Christmas time. Elery wants to do salmon on the grill too. I'll make sweet potatoes, probably Jessica's sweet potato tzimmes and a savory version, mashed potatoes, fresh beets, green beans, deviled eggs, homemade rolls, banana cream pie, chocolate cake or some other dessert for the kids and maybe some mango lime sorbet and homemade vanilla ice cream.

I'm still waffling and I'll make way too much.

Annie

• 15 years ago

I'm making crown pork roast, rice pilaf w/pine nuts & golden raisins, potatoes au gratin, roasted asparagus w/mushrooms, broiled tomato halves stuffed w/an artichoke & crab mixture, deviled eggs w/bacon, & fruit salad. And, ice cream cake for dessert.

/tricia

• 15 years ago

We have home made ravioli with all the meats in the gravy (sausuage, meatball, bracciola), stuffed artichokes & mushrooms, antipasto, and ricotta pie and maybe Italian cookies for dessert. I know someone asked me for the recipes in another similar thread and I am working on it!! I keep forgetting to take them into work with me from home so I can scan them in and post them!!

We're having Easter at my SIL's this year and she's not that great a cook, so we'll probably have frozen ravs or stuffed shells and an already cooked spiral ham. I don't eat pork so I'll have the macaroni, but it's not going to be the same as our usual home made ravioli!!

p.s. Is there anyone else besides me who never does anyway, but now WILL never buy palmolive dish washing liquid as long as I live because of that annoying bottle that appears over the messages every #%@& time I post here??????

Lisa

• 15 years ago

Ok so no one has screamed NO to my Wellington idea. Aside from potatoes, what's a fitting side? And Eileen's got me paranoid now, I need some color!

p.s. Lisa - I get those huge ads too, but never yet Palmolive. Even if I did I wouldn't stop buying it; their new Pure and Clear dish soap is wonderful if you're like me and don't need your hands and dishes smelling like overperfumed soap.

• 15 years ago

I don't get ads as long as I sign in. Hmmmm. Maybe my pop-up blocker?

FOAS, I think Beef Wellington would be very nice, maybe with roasted asparagus and a sweet potato gratin or crispy roast potatoes. Yorkshire pudding or rolls, or will the Wellington already have enough bread/crust for your family?

Something lighter and maybe fruit-y for dessert would be nice.

We wouldn't make beef for a holiday meal because beef is just everyday food for us since we raise so much of the stuff. I haven't figured out how to raise salmon yet, LOL, or even catch them very well when they're in season in here!

Annie

• 15 years ago

I'd never say no to Beef Wellington and I don't even really like beef!

Roasted asparagus would be perfect but I'd add another veggie too. I think mushrooms are the perfect side to Wellington, creamed pearl onions are also great.

Here is a great mushroom recipe that I think I got from Woodie. I have added pearl onions in with the mushrooms for a stellar side dish.

Michael's Best Mushrooms

6 Tbl extra-virgin olive oil
    1 1/2 Lb whole small button mushrooms wiped clean * see Note
    3 Tbl butter
    Gray sea salt (I use kosher usually)
    1 Tbl minced garlic
    1/2 Tsp fresh thyme leaves, chopped
    2 Tbl lemon juice
    1/2 Cup white wine
    1 Tbl chopped parsley leaves

In a large skillet, heat the oil over high heat. Add the mushrooms. Do not move the mushrooms until they have caramelized on the bottom. If you toss them too soon, they will release their liquid and begin to steam.
    When the bottoms are caramelized, toss them and continue to cook for about 5 minutes.

Add the butter. Cook and toss for 5 minutes, until beautifully browned. Season with salt and add the garlic. Saute another 2 minutes, and add the thyme, lemon juice, and white wine. Cook to evaporate the liquid.
    Toss in the parsley and serve immediately.

NOTE: Add an equal amount of blanched and peeled pearl onions with the mushrooms.

• 15 years ago

bumping