SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
holligator_gw

Should I get this screw up fixed or not?

holligator
16 years ago

I just figured out that I missed a problem with a measurement for my cabinets. I was so consumed with getting the "look" of everything just so that I missed this "fit" issue.

Here's the problem. I have a very limited space between two windows (the windows can not be changed). One is a smaller window over my sink, and the other is a larger window in the dining area. Between them, I have two upper cabinets, and my range hood. In my initial discussions with the cabinet maker, when he was out here measuring, I told him (or at least I thought I told him) that I wanted a few inches between the cabinet and the larger window, but the cabinets could butt up next to the trim of the smaller window.

Well, here we are, about a week away from my install, and I discover that the drawings I approved did not have this space. In other words, the cabinets will butt right up to both windows. I know it's only a few inches, but I worry that this will make the dining area feel more crowded some how. I do like the extra inches of cabinet space, though.

I am sure that this will end up costing me to change, and I need to decide if it's worth it.

Another wrinkle is that the way I discovered this was because of the way the drywallers had done that area. Because of a weird change along that wall, the seam behind that cabinet edge was important, and I noticed that they had put the seem right next to the window, instead of where I thought it was supposed to go. They pointed out that they were following the cabinet guy's measurements. In other words, if I make this change, it won't just be a change in the cabinet, it will affect the drywall, too.

Here's how my former KD drew this area. See how there's a space between the cabs and the window to the left? That's the space that disappeared in the current set up (which I don't have a picture of to share). Picture the upper and lower cabinets butting up to that left window. The base cabs on both sides of the stove are now drawers, and the hood set up is slightly different, but everything else is the same. Would this look bad?

My problem may just be that it won't be how I pictured. I'm not sure that the way it will be is bad, just not what I expected. I guess I have to decide if the difference will bother me. Am I the only person who would ever notice? Any input?

Comments (15)