SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jeffmo_gw

A few questions about new A/C purchase

jeffmo
14 years ago

Hello -- I've been lurking a few weeks here and have learned a lot from all of you about the wild world of AC -- thank you for all of you who help us out!

Anyway, I have a 11-year old AC system (York 12 SEER, 2 units -- 1 up 1 down), and both evaporator coils are leaking, and the outside coils are about 25-30% corroded from salt in the air (I am near the Gulf of Mexico). Anyway, I have decided rather than patch up the old units, I will purchase a new outside/inside unit that uses R410A. Since the furnaces (gas) are fine, I plan on keeping the old furnaces for now so I can afford to replace both AC units, with the expectation that those will be upgraded in another several years.

I have talked with about 7-8 contractors, and am in the process of settling on 1. I am looking at Goodman 16 SEER systems. 4 ton downstairs and 3 ton upstairs. He is going to replace the evaporator coil and condensor only.

Some questions:

1. I understand I will not get 16 SEER with our old single speed furnace. However, will using the old furnace cause any problems? My hope is to get by with this old furnace for a few years (at lesser efficiency), and then put in a variable speed furnace in the next few years.

2. Should I get an expansion valve added to the system?

3. Since I am just buying the evaporator coils and condensor units and using my old single speed blower, will I still qualify for the federal tax rebate (I know these systems are part of it, but do I still get it if I use my old blower)?

4. How can I verify that the installation company has sufficient licensing and insurance?

Comments (4)