SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tgodel

NEW! - Frigidaire Affinity

18 years ago

Although I can't take credit for discovering them, I do think we need a thread dedicated to discussing the new Frigidaire Affinity models.

Compared to the He2 pair, for example, Affinity offers notable differences, like:

- a digital countdown timer on both washer and dryer

- a fully round dryer door (very useful when stacked!)

- a porcelain dryer drum that is smaller than the He2

I'm sure we will discover many pros and cons to this new offering, but I wanted to open the door to discussion.

--Trip

Here is a link that might be useful: Best Buy - Frigidaire Affinity

Comments (141)

• 18 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I put minimal downward force on the dryer door and noted the lack of hinge stiffness mentioned by others. I then checked that it still was aligned and closed properly. So NO damage was done. However even the smallest child could damage that dryer door hinge by hanging onto the door for a moment. Figidaire seems to be aware of this flaw and hopefully nobody will get stuck with an Affinity 6000 or 7000 with the original weak hinge.

• 18 years ago

gitfiddle,

Try examining the machine before you judge benbow. It takes almost no force at all to cause the door to flex inappropriately.

Frankly, the old hinge feels like the door is held on with juicy fruit and spit, and (as I noted above) was visibly out-of-alignment at three of three stores I visited. The force that benbow applied is far far less than a subsequent visitor will certainly apply. A CHILD'S first inconsequential tug will permanently bend it.

As far as the appliance owner is concerned, he can thank Frigidaire for building the skimpy door in the first place. Benbow's non-damaging test should be part of any purchaser's examination.

--Trip

• Related Discussions

***HELP***Fisher Paykel or Frigidaire Affinity 6000

Q

Comments (2)
    That's really tough to advise. I too have back issues and when I was at a store recently I looked at a small FL machine that was on a pedestal on top of a display platform in the store. There's no way it would work for me. A lot depends on your height. You really need to take a load of clothes and go see a machine on the pedestal and get an idea what it's like to load/unload a machine. My instinct is to say a top load is better for you, but the Affinity is a good machine. If you can handle the bending and twisting. Not sure which F&P you're looking at though so again, it's hard to suggest anything. You might also look at a little more money and see if the 8000 Affinity with the heater would be better for you. Fisher & Paykal have a different sytem and they say they don't need a heater. From peoples' reviews, it apparently works well. Both of these machines are on my list of considerations for when I need to replace my machine, FWIW. Good luck! And a great rabbit day to you too!
    ...See More

Frigidaire Affinity problem..... need suggestions.

Q

Comments (2)
    We have LG's on pedestals on concrete for about 8 months and no problems. There can be problems trying to find an LG repair person, check to see who services LG in your area. Parts for most models can be found at Sears parts website some LG service manuals here
    ...See More

anyone with recent reviews on Frigidaire Affinity

Q

Comments (18)
    In response to Gibby May 26, 08: This has to do with washer failures because of the corrosion of the aluminum "spider" bracket attached to the stainless steel drum. (See the web site http://www.appliancejournal.com/ or just search "Why Kenmore front load washers fail" for lots more information re why using aluminum to join with stainless steel in a liquid medium which the washer will provide is a recipe for failure.) I called Electrolux and spoke with a person in the Extended Service Agreements office (866)386-5286 who informed me that Electrolux no longer has any kind of lifetime warranty on washing machine parts as of 2005. I then called the parts department at 1-800-599-7569 where I was informed that the spider bracket attached to the steel drum in this model (and I presume all other Affinity models) was made of aluminum. (By the way it used to be made of stainless steel previous to 2005 when the lifetime warranty was in effect. Nice timing,eh?) I then called my local parts dealer and was not surprised to hear that when the aluminum spider brackets would inevitably corrode to such an extent as to need replacement (say four years?) then the cost of labor and parts to replace the drum assembly spin basket which contains the spider bracket arms would run me about $500. Thanks, but no thanks, I will be returning the washer.
    ...See More

Use a turkey baster to add bleach?

Q

Comments (4)
    Maybe I just have a cheap turkey baster, but I find that when I use it to either suck up excess liquid fat from a meat dish or to baste a turkey with, the suction isn't that great and liquid tends to drip and dribble all over. No big deal with fat or turkey drippings, but you wouldn't want to be spurting bleach drops all around the washing machine where they could get on your clothes (that you're wearing) or land on the floor where you walk on them and then transfer the bleach to your carpets, etc... How about a long-necked funnel--could you get one long enough to stick the end in the bleach dispenser and pour your bleach in that way? I use bleach frequently (about once a week) so if it were me, I'd probably cut the counter off. But if you don't use bleach that often maybe the hassle of the funnel wouldn't be so bad, and better than making your counter look bad if that's what cutting it would do.
    ...See More
  • 18 years ago

Anyone else has experienced this series?

I must buy a new (and a first) FL washer-dryer combo within 2 months and I am realy interested in the 6000, it's the perfect size for a stack up, and seams better than the last generation model (2940). Altough I won't buy one if I'm stuck with the current door hinge on the dryer (I haven't seen the 7000 in demo yet, but on the parts manual, the hinge looks different).

Anyone heard of an upcomming Kenmore derivative?

• 18 years ago

A fresh water rinse does not run the water through the soap dispenser, the rinse water comes from another tube.

Wynter

• 18 years ago

Hi there everybody. I'm new to this forum and amazed at how much everybody knows!!

I'm interested in the Affinity 7000. Does its heater only work on the sanitary cycle? The manual on the website says it heats to the temperature each cycle is set to run on....also does anyone know if there is some sort of "profile wash" you can force?
    Thanks everyone!!

• 18 years ago

I think after reading way too much stuff on washers I have decided to get the Affinity 7000. (it takes weeks to dig through this site- haha.) I have seen it at Lowes for $892 and then at another small Appliance place for $787 - Lowes told me they will price match if the model number is exactly the same, is this how they get out of price matching? (Lowes has cheaper ext warr & shipping.) Thanks!

• 18 years ago

Not only will Lowes price match, they will give you 10% off the lower price - that is, if it is the same machine then they will sell you the machine for $787 plus give you back $78.70. It is reasonable for them to ask if the model is the same, to make sure that you are not (for example) matching a machine with a heater to one without.

jennybean, there is no profile wash on the Affinity, but perhaps tricks are possible (as they are with some Whirlpools). - DR

• 18 years ago

How is this Frigedaire in terms of vibration and pump noise? I am replacing a older model frigemore and possibly a duet sport now. Kris

• 18 years ago

I've been lurking about for about 3 weeks now. Thanks to those who post such good info - I never thought I'd know so much about washers/dryers.

As of 10 days ago, after visits to Sears, Lowe's and local appliance stores, I narrowed my choices to the Affinity 7000 and Duet Sport 8500 (both at Lowes - $150 in gift cards with purchase thru 5/29 and a rebate on the delivery and old appliance removal charges.) I was holding out hope that the Sport 8500 would be available soon so I could look at it and compare specs, etc. I got a call from Lowe's today - they said the ETA on the Sport 8500 was 3-4 weeks; price is $997, though they said that wouldn't necessarily be the price when it arrived. (Frigidaire lists the 7000 at $999 on their site and Lowe's has it for $897.)

Here's the SKU# on the Sport 8500: 145849

So I'm 90% sure I'm going with the Affinity and ordering this weekend - b/c it's here now and my husband took time off work to bring our laundry up from the basement the week after next. Also, the complaints about the pump noise in the Duet Sport thread have affected my decision, tho I fully realize this may be normal for all washers. NOTE: the Affinity also offers a "Silent Design" feature, but only in the 7000. Why oh why do companies do this??? I'm buying the 7000 for the heater; I feel the companies should offer the silent/quiet wash on both washers. The extra cost should be for the heater alone IMO.

I do wish there were a bit more feedback from people who purchased the Affinity. I will make it a point to come back here and offer some after using it a bit.

Charlene

PS After dealing with the pushy tactics of the Sears sales people, I immediately deleted the H-whatevers from my list. They descend on you like hawks and linger to hear your conversation after you tell them you'd like time to talk it over. Also, heard some of them dishing out some really untrue info to customers; I knew way more than our saleswoman after spending a few hours here. Why don't they spend some time here and educate themselves?????

• 18 years ago

"Why don't they spend some time here and educate themselves?????"

We had one sears' salesman here as a member awhile ago but he has since left sears and in not selling appliances at all now, so he rarely visits. You are right though I tend to research my major purchases alot and find that when I get to the store I know more than the salespoeple do often. in fact sometimes I ask them questions I know the answer to just to see what they come up with, its good fun. I find they know more at indie dealers than sears but not always. I have the last version of Frigidaire washer and I like it alot. I have seen the affinty machines and they look nice, I hope that you well be pleased with yours.

• 17 years ago

I purchased the new Affinity 7000 set today - it will be delivered Sunday. Lowe's matched a lower price I found locally and gave me 10% more off, free shipping rebate, $100 gift card & free Tide for 1yr. Thanks to this board for posting so much info - I was having nightmares about washers & dryers. (Really!!) I think for the money I spent I got a great set! This is my 1st FL and it will be installed in my new house, I feel like I am doing something good for the water shortage here in SW FL. Thanks!!

• 17 years ago

Was at Lowes a few days ago.... both the 6000 and 7000 dryers there had the flimsy old-design hinge, made of fairly bright metal, so apparently the new hinge is not a 7000-only feature, nor does buying a 7000 assure you of getting the redesigned hinge (which I haven't seen yet).

For the same money ($899), I think I slightly prefer the GE FL washer, unless only the shallower Frigidaire will fit your space. For the dryers, the GE has considerably larger capacity and the fancy dual-thermistor stable temperature control, but I like Frigidaire's stainless-steel drum. And unless you're stacking them, that ridge atop the GE control panels gets in the way of using the top as a countertop surface.

• 17 years ago

I love my new Affinity (7000 series with internal heater). This is my first FL, and we stacked the set. We built a new laundry space (old closet) right by our bedrooms. Though the amazing spin cycle reminds me of a jet engine muffled or at a distance - my girls say it doesn't bother them when I run a load at night, they just ask me to close their doors.

Youngest daughter is a budding scientist; she stained up an old T-shirt and made a map of the stains...mustard, ketchup, balsamic vinaigrette, jelly, blood (she pricked her finger), garage grease, grass stains (rubbed VERY hard in the grass and dirt), ball point pen, sharpie, and a couple other things I can't remember. We let the stains dry and then put the shirt in with a load of my hubby's painter pants and socks.

I always used to bleach this load, but we put it in the sanitizing cycle (uses the heater) with half the recommended amount of Tide HE (I learned my lesson with that on the first load I did - towels). No stain pretreat or bleach.

Results: socks and pants were wonderfully clean. The only stains that didn't come out were the ball point pen and sharpie (which I fully expected), and the ground-in grass. There was a trace of the blood too. I imagine if I had pretreated these appropriately, they would have come out also.

Which leads me to a few questions:

Any advice on how much stain pretreater to use? I'm figuring that causes suds too.

How about amounts of hand-wash soap like Woolite? I use a cheaper product for most loads, but I have been using the Woolite especially made for darks. Am I wasting my money on that?

The only aspect of the machine that I'm disappointed in is the inability to run a rinse only cycle. I started using the extra rinse, but would like not to if it's not necessary. And the machine doesn't want to let me pause and add it late in the cycle, when I notice there are still some suds. Is there a trick for this? Again, I am adjusting to FL's for the first time and am trying to learn how much detergent is just right. I also think my idea of large/small loads has to change. How many pairs of adult jeans would constitute a large load?

And...I did a load of my girls jeans and socks in the sanitizing cycle and it shrunk some of their socks (decorative type). What types of fibers should I not put in the extra hot cycle?

One more question about the rubber boot around the door. First, I think the new design is much better than the 2940's (Gallary line) because it doesn't have all those creases for water to get trapped in. I don't want my washer to develop any kind of musty smell so I've been thoroughly running a clean rag around and under the boot when I'm finished washing. This got me to wondering if all that stretching and tugging at the boot could do damage in the long term and if I should just let it dry with the door open and run a bleach load every once in a while. Thoughts?

As for the dryer hinge - I think we have the "flimsy" one, and though it doesn't bother me much, I may call and see if I can get the new one. Otherwise, we live close to a large distributor that carries parts for all major appliances and contractor hubby has an account there. This is also the reason we opted not to get an extended warrenty. We have 6 months to opt in, so I will have to give that more thought.

Bottom line: At this early point, I definitely would recommend the Affinity 7000 washer and dryer to anyone.

Charlene

• 17 years ago

Hi!

I just found this forum when looking for information about the ATF6000. I don't have space issues and I see that several people recommend the Whirlpool Duet pair (and I've seen a lot of very positive recommendations for them elsewhere). However, I'm torn because the Affinity 6000 washer/dryer pair is offered through my developer for $1170 (our unit is being built now). I can opt out and buy the Whirlpool pair later, but it will cost a lot more ($2000). Is it worth the price difference? I'd love any opinions.

Thanks!
    Tara

• 17 years ago

tara, does your developer offer the ATF7000? If you look at this forum's FAQ, you will see some reasons for why having a heater in the machine is useful, and I believe this is the difference between the 6000 and the 7000. - DR

• 17 years ago

Charlene,

If memory serves, you should be able to select "Drain/Spin" with an extra rinse to emulate a Rinse Only cycle.

--Trip

• 17 years ago

No, the 7000 wasn't offered as an option. But I'm not too worried about the heater. My washer will be right next to my water heater and we'll have an 80 gallon solar water tank as well (so our water is fast and easy to heat)--which means that the water coming into the washer can be very hot. Is there something else I'm missing about the usefulness of the internal heater?

• 17 years ago

Is there something else I'm missing about the usefulness of the internal heater?

Yes. I've added a link to the FAQ I suggested above. - DR

• 17 years ago

Wow I can't believe there is so much talk about the Our new Affinity Washers made by my co workers in Webster City, Iowa. I was a quality assurance tech on 2nd shift up til 6 weeks ago when they went to 1 shift due to soft sales with the cost of gas. I am still on this line and could awnser alot of these qeustions. I will watch this tread a couple days and reply back.

What I know is the only differance from a 6000 and 7000 is the heater system. It is a sanitary system designed to heat the water in the tub to 160 or so to kill bacteria, all our competitors have it, we are fallowers in the feild. What they don't tell you is it takes 1hr 50 minutes to run this cycle. This is also the only way to get a light (6000 have different main harness and bellow and cannot be converted for the light).

Just last week we started running the full platnuim color (7000 in colors only at this time). Alot of paint match up issues between powder coat and plastic matching. Infact the door is just a white one spray painted over with silver krylon. The ones going out the door now look like 4 different shades, (not to pretty for the 1000 they are going to charge for color units). Black and Glacier blue will fallow in the next couple weeks once we get our consoles shipped up from mexico. I wouldn't buy a color for about 6 month as engeenering is rushing them out the door cuase it was sapposed to be done Jan 1st. Make shure you see the color in person cuase they do not shine like in the picture, we jokingly call them primer blue and primer silver.

I wish I could go into detail tonight but if you are picking between us and out competitor remember this. Sears will not sell them cuase they are based on the next level chassis (2940's, 2140's, ect) that has had a constant 27% service call rate. It cost them 18 million dollars last year alone.
    Maybe thats why we loweried the warrenty from 1.5 years to 12 month. Sears still sells everything else we make like top loads and alliances though, GEEEE could it be a quality issue?? This rate will only increase since like myself my coworkers don't care anymore since electrolux is building a plant right now in mexico to take our jobs in 07. As a Quality tech I tried bringing many issues to management short attention span, but he was 22 years old worked for us 6 month and overrode everything to get his numbers out the door. This is why we have many loose wires, cracked front panels, and general slapped to gether product going out the door (15.5 seconds each machine to due your task).
    If you have to stop the line they write you up, ect. So it's alot easier just to let that loose wire go, don't tell them about the small leak, ect. The worker have it down that they only do full audits on 10 machines out of 1800 build a day. I know when I was quility I was told to F off many a times. Well I better go for now let me have some questions!!

By the way we have a lab with all the competors machines and ours running 24 hours a day 7 days a week. I remeber we finailly unplugged an LG front load after 2 years cuase it was the only one in the test group still working, well beyond the other 5 competors and us.

• 17 years ago

backstabbed, are you saying that you were fired 6 weeks ago? You don't seem very positive about your (former?) employer's machines! - DR

• 17 years ago

What were the other five competitor models?

• 17 years ago

Backstabbed's tale reminds me of quality control issues at American auto manufacturers in the 1970's when management paid very little attention to quality control. Eventually they were forced to wise up. No manufacturer has a perfect record as almost all cars (even Toyotas) have at least a few defects going out the door. Cars are much more complex than washers.

Our only local appliance dealer claimed six months ago that Frigidaire had the best local track record for repairs (2xxx models) and we almost ordered a 7000 model. If 27% of Affinity washers will have warranty repair issues the company reputation is going to sink as fast as Maytag's did.

Trip, are the Affinities still on your shopping list?

• 17 years ago

Ok, I'm still loving my Affinity, though not quite as much. What I don't like about these computerized machines is the lack of control I have over them - as in it can be difficult to trick it by my messing with and resetting cycles. Trip, thanks for the suggestion, but it won't do it. So what I do is reset for a wash (delicate cycle so hopefully I get more water) and put a bit of vinegar and fabric softener in the detergent dispenser. Then I have to listen for the wash cycle to drain, interrupt and cancel the cycle and reset for Spin Only. Reduced water use is kind of useless if I let the whole cycle run twice. With all the research I did, my head was spinning and I overlooked the need for a rinse only cycle.

Having said all that, I realize the main problem is me figuring out just how much detergent to use for the different loads. At times I think I've gone too light and thus I don't get the chemical action needed to clean. I've run across a few blurbs about using half the recommended amount, etc. If anyone is inclined to point me to a thread or two where that is discussed in depth, that would be great.

What's funny is that I never used to worry about this in my TL...being able to watch through the window opens up a whole new world of laundry wonders. With my TL, I just assumed it was rinsing; we could have been walking around for years with oodles of detergent in our clothes!

As for the above post, I'll take it with a grain of salt. If that 27% statistic is true, it seems to me that a company would want to solve that problem so they don't lose money on the next generation of washers. I also wonder what portion of that 27% were for small items and/or operator misuse. (I am a statistics teacher and many lessons are spent on questioning the numbers thrown at us citizens/consumers) I had already decided to get the extended warranty on the washer ($115), as it's been suggested on here that due to the sad state of affairs in the industry, you should purchase it no matter which machine you get.

Charlene

• 17 years ago

Benbow,

Great question! Despite my overwhelming enthusiasm, the Affinities fell off of my shopping list when I met the 7000 in person, and got an advance copy of the Duet Sport HT 8500 user guide.

Simply put, I was very excited by the Frigidaire feature set, but in person, the units are not impressive. The flimsy dryer hinge (still flimsy even after it was replaced) was just the start of it. The units are tinny and the paint is thin and overpriced. ($100 more for colors?!) If you compare the experience of closing an Affinity 7000 upgraded dryer door to that of an obsolete He2 dryer, you'll feel what I mean. It's like comparing the door of an entry-level Kia to a mid-priced Mercedes. The Duet Sport/He2 family is just so much more solid. And the shallowness of the dryer just freaks me out--there's always a used one at Best Buy that some family has returned because it is not matched to the washer's capacity.

So, I've got all my cash saved up, but I'm waiting to see if Sears will roll out an He2T Plus. I like the user interface of the Sears versions, plus I think there's a chance they might force Whirlpool to add some of the sound deadening material that is *SHAMEFULLY* omitted from the Duet Sports.

I'm kind of taking backstabbed's comments with a grain of salt, since I had already concluded the Frigidaires were structurally inferior to the He2s/Duet Sports. I'm also a bit suspicious of all that vitriol coming in a single angry post, though if it is all true than I certainly offer my condolences. Simply put, that situation sucks.

That's my $0.02.

--Trip

• 17 years ago

I'm taking Backstabbed's report with a POUND of salt. If the repair rate was truely 27%, I think we would be hearing a lot about it here and on other opinion sites. There certainly were a lot of complaints about the Maytag Neptune on opinion sites and I think I read the repair rate on them was about 20%, or one-in-five. So where is all the consumer outrage over the supposedly more than one-in-four 2940's needing repair during the last year? While you can't compare a Frigidaire to a Meile (as Frigidaire is a "bargain brand"), their repair rates have been right in line with - or better than - other brands of washers and dryers. For the money, they have always been a pretty good deal. I'm sorry if Backstabbed was laid off, but it sounds like more sour grapes than facts to me.

• 17 years ago

In response to backstabbed! I also work for Electrolux who manufactures the Frigidaire Affinity model and i must say that I take great pride in it's quality. The machine is the best featured/desinged for the price charged. As far as service call rate, the 2940 and 2140 had its problems at the beginning which have been corrected in terms of vibration(dual shocks/better cabinet structure/alterations in RPM for ramp up and down. Faulty pumps due to underwear and various items getting caught in the pump which was solved by putting a filter in the cointrap which catches all debris.. An action item has been implemented on all items and if you look into SCR Electrolux is trending down sharply. All the improvements have been implemented into the affinity and if you look into scr rate of affinity I believe it is around 12% for washers and 10% for dryers. This has everything figured into it, as well as service calls for removing packaging such as shipping bolts which now have a hang card on the cord to eliminate these calls. SO all in all Backstabbed has no idea what he/she is talking about. Sounds like he is holding a grudge. I believe Electrolux is the only front load manufacturer in the U.S. with all competitors producing in low cost countries. I can't give much creadibility to Backstabbed due to his/her spelling for one and false claims for two... For Backstabbed to make false accusations which could potentially hurt his/her fellow co-workers future employement by hurting consumer image of the Affinity model is in itself crazy. He/she must not be a union member to put so many jobs in potential danger. I think backstabbed should be changed to backstabber!! The affinity offers great features at a low price with good quality and I'm proud to build these machines each and every day.....

• 17 years ago

Truth 14, can I assume SCR means service call rate for in-warranty washers. That 10-12% still seems a bit high to me. Does anyone at the factory hook up the washers as they come off the assembly line and check for faults? Both the dealer and the customer get rubbed the wrong way when a faulty unit gets installed. Another manufacturer claims to at least water test every unit that comes off their American assembly line. Give us a little more info on Frigidair's assembly line quality control procedures to counter backstabbed's rather questionable claims.

• 17 years ago

Trip, You are a very patient shopper. Hope you can get a quieted version of the Sport. Very strange why WP decided to eliminate the sound deadening material for washers they designed to be placed upstairs near bedrooms rather than stuck down in a basement like a Duet!

• 17 years ago

Benbow,

I couldn't agree more--Whirlpool seems to have screwed up in their marketing strategy of putting the machines "where people live." I think that the Quiet Wash feature mentioned in their literature was no accident--I think it was intended to be part of the package, but at the last minute, Whirlpool lost their nerve because the machines were moving just a tad too far upmarket (thus compromising the high-margin Duets). The $25 worth of sound-absorbing material got tanked and now the market is abuzz with just how noisy these machines are.

Maybe the Duet Sports wouldn't seem so loud if people weren't trying to put them in their kitchen--but that's Whirlpool's fault. Who might be to blame for the factually deceptive and misleading collateral at Lowe's is another story (they specifically show the more sophisticated 8500 suspension as a feature in EVERY Duet Sport). Frankly, I hope BOTH companies get sued. I'm in sales and I hate deceptive marketing with a passion. Sometimes these big white goods vendors just need to get smacked into line.

At this point, I'm as ready to buy a foreign brand as contend with all this hemmin' and hawin' from the "domestic" vendors. I just want a full-featured machine to fit in a small space, and I feel like I'm asking Detroit to build a world-class small car in 1980. They just don't seem to WANT to succeed at it!

All that being said, I just want a washing machine that meets the expectations that it sets, at a reasonable price, and in a compact space. There is no squeaky clean vendor to buy from. If Sears can twist Whirlpool's arm into building a proper He2T Plus, then I'll buy it with a fat warranty and be done with it. Whirlpool has already decided that the 8500 really doesn't belong near my living spaces, 2nd floor or otherwise. Maybe the Sears version will want to be there more enthusiastically.

If Sears doesn't wring more out of Whirlpool than Whirlpool willingly delivers to its own customers, then I'll probably end up with a Bosch Axxess or something similar. It will cost more and give me a boatload of features that I don't need--but it will be reliable, quiet, and effective.

--Trip

• 17 years ago

FWIW, the cuts at the Iowa plant, and the production shift of the Affinity line to the new Ciudad Juarez, Mexico plant late next year are public record. I'm guessing that the gist of what backstabber is saying is correct, but that some of the numbers he cites, and speculation on admin decisions (like why warranty was shortened, or why Sears doesn't carry the line), are shop-floor speculation. I'm curious what truth14's position in the company is to have these figures at hand, and how (s)he happened to look at/choose to participate in this forum exactly after backstabber's post.

BTW, "I can't give much creadibility to Backstabbed due to his/her spelling" is a cheap shot. I found the post very easy to cread. - DR

• 17 years ago

I too work at the Electrolux plant in Webster City, and am an hourly worker. In response to benbow's question about quality control measures, there are inspectors on the line who check for quality issues. Every machine that is manufactured is filled with water and tested. The testing includes checks for water leaks and any potential electrical problems, as well as cosmetic issues. Any machine that has a problem is rejected, and the problem corrected. Yes, it is true that there are machines that may require a service call. Some of these are due to customer error, others may be a problem which occurred during shipping, and yes, the employees who are building the machines are human, and may occasionally miss something.

• 17 years ago

All these Electrolux employees joining the forum this week just to discuss Frigidaire - really quite a coincidence. Especially the last two. - DR

• 17 years ago

We went with the 7000 pair because it appeared to be great stackable set for the money. I spent quite a bit of time here researching the different brands and models, and soon realized that I didnt come close to sharing the passion for washers that many here do. I just couldnt see spending the same for just a washer that my 7000 pair cost I dont care how much nicer the nexxt guys door hinges are (pun intended).

Well weve been using the set for two months now and my wife absolutely loves the performance. She continues to be amazed at how well it cleans far better than our first generation Kenmore FL washer. They are in use every day and we have had no issues. We have them on the living floor and they are quiet enough not to impact conversation or TV watching. The only little nagging thing is that I wish the light would auto-off with the washer door open to air dry. Oh well, we would still buy it again.

• 17 years ago

Help! Advice required!

We recently placed an order for the Maytag FL Neptunes which were a great price - but the internet revealed dark secrets about those pieces of crap and I cancelled the order from Home Depot. They were giving us an amazing deal too - $900 off, free detergent, cheap delivery etc. but if they don't work very well, what's the point?

We've been looking at Frigidaire Affinity's - I'm told they are the 2006 models. The dryer has a better hinge than the old model(although the door on ALL of the models we saw looked like it didn't fit properly at the top) and the washer was a 3.5. However I couldn't locate a model number. Are these the 7000's you're referring to? Or 6000's? I can't seem to find that info, even on the net.

We were also thinking about the Whirlpool Duet Sport and the comparable Kenmore HE2's. But I've read good and bad about everything so we're pretty confused.

After reading through here, you guys seem to be happy with the Affinity's but if anything has changed, I'd like to know.

Thanks and we look forward to reading what you have to say.

• 17 years ago

moxxi, the Internet was probably talking about the earlier model; Maytag made major changes in their FL line years ago, and the current FLs have none of the problems of the earlier ones (except maybe relatively high cost). - DR

• 17 years ago

I think that frigidaire is a good product I looked at the affinity 7000 at best buy a month ago. I was impressed with the features for price. the door design was not a tight as an S class Benz but more inproved than that of the bestbuy version of the 2940 that I have. if anything happened to my washer I'd upgrade to it if they gave me that option. of course I like the Seimens too.

my washer has been very good to me in the last year and few months I had it. washes good spins and rinses well compaired to the TL I had before. and there have been very few complaints here about it. my only complaints are the door design, it could be better more like that affinity series, but thats still very work able and the suspension seems abit chanenged with a very ful load of heavy towels. but it still cleans on and on. so I'm happy over all.

• 17 years ago

stevep2005 - The light on my Affinity 7000 washer autos off after 2 or 3 minutes. If yours doesn't, you should call in the service person.

Also...my washer CAN do a rinse only. I'm not sure what I did wrong the first time (when I read trip's suggestion)...but the other day I tried it again and it worked! I about jumped up and down. I am not even sure what moved me to try again, but I'm so glad I did. I can now say that I am extremely satisfied with this machine!

Charlene

• 17 years ago

sandseastars, thanks. I suppose reading the instructions may have hepled, but that would have been like cheating.

• 17 years ago

We just recently purchased the Frigidaire Affinity 6000 Washer and Dryer which were built in May, 2006. They wash clothes and they dry clothes, but what have I actually purchased? Is there a tech specification for the affinity 6000?
    The operator guides that came with the units are a bit vague and even mention features that do not appears to have a corresponding function switch or setting.

• 17 years ago

tkendr, Each of my 7000 machines came with 2 booklets (installation instructions and operating instructions) and a kind of fold-out mini poster (another operating instruction guide) that you could hang up with all the different cycle options and other info.

I read over the operating instructions once and then referred to the poster a lot in the beginning. If I had looked at the poster again, I would have seen that I could do a rinse only!

Yes, the actual instructions you get for operating the machine are concise - a lot shorter than what I thought they'd be for such machines (I'n not counting the stain removal tips and all that). And I'm not sure if the same instructions are given for the 6000 - if so, you are right - some of the things there don't exist on your machine.

If you don't have the 2 booklets AND the poster (there's lots on there that is not in the booklet I think), then you need to call customer service.

Good luck with your new machines!

• 17 years ago

I recently bought an Affinity 6000 washer and dryer pair and unfortunately have had nothing but trouble with the washer. Every time the washer starts to speed up to spin the load, the control panel blinks off immediately and the power recycles, stopping the spin. Other times, the washer will simply shut off in mid wash and will not power back on for a half hour or more. I've already had sevice out to replace the control board (which foolishly is located in the BACK of the washer making it necessary to pull the entire unit out if you have it stacked in a closet as I do). I ran a load of laundry right after the service guy left and SURPRISE! Still having the same exact problem. Has anyone else experienced this problem or heard anything about it? I'm waiting to hear what the service people are going to try next...

Based on this experience, I'd be a little leary of going with this model (I have an older model in another house that's been working like a charm for 2 years).

• 17 years ago

Anybody have any updates on these machines? How has their reliability been? Do they work well? Our 15 year old Kenmore just died and we need a replacement that is 27" or less deep. My laundry room space is only about 30"-31" deep. Any other suggestions that won't break the bank?

• 17 years ago

It seems that you can find troubling problems with every machine. Sometimes you just have to find the product with the features you like then brace yourself and hand over the credit card. You hope for the best but realize "They just don't make 'em the way they used to...". I'm replacing very beat up GE top loaders that work great. Our new home was a rental for 12 years and the GEs are original to the house.
    Now, we're remodling the laundry room and the old stuff has to go. I to was interested in the Affinity and Whirlpool Duet Sport(30" deep) but I did not take into account the dryer venting space in back which added 5" to the depth. Thus, the 27" deep Affinity turned into 32". Too deep for my installation. I went with the Compact Maytag MAW2400AWW. It's 25 1/2 inches deep. I have not received it yet so I can't comment on it's performance. Home Depot Online had the best price.

• 17 years ago

Askonaut here, still searching for a moderately-priced FL pair (stackable + heated washing + gas drying) for my son and DIL. I read the Sport threads and the Affinity threads and am wondering if anyone can tell me the advantages/disadvantages of the Sport 8500 vs the Affinity 7000, and possibly what else I should be looking at. Thank you!

• 17 years ago

I bought the Frigidaire Affinity (ATF6000) a few weeks ago, and it works great ... I noticed, though, that it's about a half inch (12 mm) off level front to back. (It's lower in back, and level side-to-side.) There's some vibration during the spin cycle, not enough to bother me, but I wonder if that will get worse over time if the machine is not properly leveled.

• 17 years ago

Main thing about leveling front to back may be the load on the rear tub bearing. These bearings fail from time to time and it can be an expensive repair.

I would think you want to get it leveled as best you can to increase longevity.

• 17 years ago

Moxxi here again - we did purchase the Frigidaire 6000 Affinity models back in July and have been extremely pleased. They have worked - so far - without a hitch. They are easy to use, are not noisy (they are in our laundry room in the basement in a decent sized house so when the door is closed, you don't hear 'em at all. Sorry to hear others had nothing but trouble. I hate hearing that, because it so easily could have been me. I feel for you guys.

• 16 years ago

have both the washer and dryer. I have had them for almost 3 weeks now. I HAVE NOT been able to run through one load with any setting of the spin on. It vibrates and walks so violently that I am afraid it will 1) rip of the closet door, 2) bust through the drywall, or 3) tip over into the hallway crushing anything in its path including my 2.5 year old. Hearing some of you stack your models I am thinking this cant be normal or just the pain of having a front loading washer.

• 16 years ago

i seem to be having a leak from in the machine. no leaks from any hose connections. please help

• 16 years ago

I would like to know what dmm8313 did to prevent this problem, since I am having the EXACT problem with my washer....the EXACT problem. Help!