SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
summer_tx

What are you 'anal' about?

summer_tx
16 years ago

I guess I would have to say the way my dishes are stacked in the sink. They have to fit right together. Kinda pyramidal if you will. Big to little. LOL Oh, and they have to be rinsed off good before they go into my dish water. I hate gunk in my dish rag or junk floating in my water.

I stack and restack papers on my desk or around the phone. Can't have them strewn all over the surface. Ack!

I also have a thing with balance. Things need to look balanced. Whether it's a picture grouping on the wall or knick knacks on a shelf.

Anyone as anal as I am? What pushes your buttons?

Comments (68)

• ronf_gw
    16 years ago

Balancing the checkbook. I'll spend an hour tracking down a 3 cent error.

Ron

• bearcat_va
    16 years ago

Oh goodness, this is a question that I can answer!!

EVERYTHING. I really need to give some things a break.

My desk at school is sickening to others. I'm very organized and I have everything at right angles. Everything has it's place, even the stapler. Lesson plans are always ready and in folders 2 weeks ahead of time.

My house is another story. Poor DH!!

• Related Discussions

what do you think about eden climbing roses or (pierre de ronsard

Q

Comments (8)
    It is an easy rose to keep neat, and the flowers are gorgeous, if scentless. The question is: how cane hardy is it going to be for you in UT. Most modern climbers are reasonably easy to control. For example: 'Fourth Of July', 'Eden', 'Altissimo', 'Berries n Cream', 'Compassion', and, yes, 'Eden' can all be kept tidy with moderate effort. It's the old ramblers from the early 20th century, the Noisettes of the 19th century, species (wild) roses, and the Wichurana hybrids like 'New Dawn' that are the rampant ones. In zone 5/6, size won't be so much of a problem as it is in say Florida or Southern California. The problem you have to handle is winter die-off.
    ...See More

How about veriegated Copperleaf? What can you tell me about it?

Q

Comments (5)
    I've grown Acalypha wilkesiana since I arived in Florida 25 years ago. They take full sun to 1/2 day shade. And yes, they can freeze back in tempatures that dip around 32 degrees. In south Florida, they can reach upwards of 15 foot. but here in St Pete, 6 foot is more like. I have several around my yard. My big red one - "Louisiana Red" stops traffic. The white one named "Java white" always gets an Wow! And don't forget about the chenille plant, it's in the same family, too. I think they're very easy to grow. If you can grow a hibiscus, you will not have any trouble growing one of these. Does anyone know the name of this one? http://community.webshots.com/photo/85749816/102335439FbLFIe Here is a link that might be useful: Louisana Red
    ...See More

Am I just too anal about this...?

Q

Comments (7)
    Hmmm, I'm wondering if you could tell him that you need to receive the invoices no later than the 2nd of the month if they are to be paid by the 10th. His other customers aren't really *your* concern, and if HE is concerned, then his business [regardless of marital status] will have to make the effort to be prompt in forwarding the bills to you. Don't let him lay a guilt trip on you or try to manipulate you in such a way that you feel uncomfortably rushed -- as long as you arrange payment within a reasonable number of working days (5 to 7) after receiving the invoice then he has no grounds for complaint if that 5th or 7th day occurs after the 10th of the month. Actually, if delays occur, he should direct his complaints to whomever in his office is delaying the process.
    ...See More

Dogs anal glands

Q

Comments (15)
    I think I read somewhere that anal gland impaction is common and they figure it happens because on the diets they're fed, the liquid in the sacks isn't needed to lubricate when they defecate because their stools aren't as hard as they should be, and as they are in the wild. Something to that degree, anyways. My beagle has problems with her anal glands, they've gotten way better since we switched foods though. She hasn't had to have them expressed in quite a while, where as it was every few months before. I could never do it myself. It's the smell...its a faint, smell..not strong but boy does is it rotten. I'm fairly sensitive to smells and when the vet did it the combination of how gross it looked and how it went EVERY where, and the smell...I had to leave the room. We just take her in, neither of us is willing to attempt it, and I worry too much that we'll do it wrong, too.
    ...See More
  • teresava
    16 years ago

Not too much really, but a few things.

Loading the dishwasher. DH and his whole family are very clean people, but they have a bad dishwashing gene or something. Their dishwasher looks like an explosion took place in there! I will reorganize ours, if DH loaded it. You can just fit more if it's done right!

Bread crumbs in the butter cup GROSS ME OUT!!

Also, DH would say the way I butter bread is anal. Has to be like aptosca. All of it buttered and smooth. Just tastes better that way I guess?

• susan_on
    16 years ago

Well, a few things:
    -towels and facecloths have to be stacked with the folds on the same side and faceing the front
    -the dishtowel has to hang straight
    -the bread wrapper can't be sticking out from the cupboard (DH has a bad habit of this)
    -the bedspread has to be very straight
    -the kitchen sink has to be empty

• bigack
    16 years ago

I guess I'm not anal about much of anything. Now, is that a bad thing, or a good thing??

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    16 years ago

Wow, the more I read here, the more things get added to my anal list.

So...is being anal a good or a bad thing in your opinion?

I would guess that being anal about everything would be bad, and cause an awful lot of stress.

Dishes stacked 'just right'
    dishes rinsed until they look clean b4 going in the dishwasher (maybe a week b4 it will get run)
    dining table kept totally free of any clutter-(since I finally got it cleaned, I refuse to ever let it get 'bad' again)
    towels folded and put away all in the same direction.
    check book balanced perfectly
    picture window clean
    dish washer loaded perfectly

and my newest one...no clutter in the living room, and everything beside my chair just so-so within easy reach in a basket.

• grammahony
    16 years ago

Not to much here. I like my toast buttered to the edge too. Nothing I hate worse when eating breakfast out, and the toast comes with a blob in the center. I have to ask for more butter so I can finish buttering it. I hate dry toast.
    Leslie

• coral_ok
    16 years ago

I'm getting better about this, but I've always been very anal about misspelling and misuse of words. I'd love to swap this for being more particular about things around the house!

• sable_ca
    16 years ago

The return address labels (the ones that you get from all those charitable foundations) must coordinate with the stamps on bills and letters I'm sending. They don't have to match, but they should repeat the colors. E.g., no purple flowers with American flag stamps. And the stamps and labels have to align just right on the envelopes. But I handwrite our return address on personal cards - Christmas, birthday, etc.

• itsmesuzq
    16 years ago

About being on time for anything...work,a gathering,when a store opens,a hair appt., "anything".

I have to have all my cubbord doors and drawers closed in the kitchen. Always.

I can't stand lights on in rooms where no one is...dates back to "turn the light off Edison is not a member of this family!"

I have a few more but that's about it for the most part.

• evatx
    16 years ago

I'm really not anal about much - DH, on the other hand, is another story! I'm very particular about being on time for everything - can't stand lateness (unless it's unpreventable, of course.)

• gramzeeinmd
    16 years ago

I really have too many but I will list some:
    Bathroom has to be clean, towels hung up and no toothpaste in the sink.
    Bed must be made before I get back into it.
    All bath towels and wash cloths must be folded and facing all the same way.
    Do not have your socks on your feet with the heel on the top of your foot!
    My clothes must be folded and put away a certain way.
    Do not drive my truck and move my seat!!

• stephanie_in_ga
    16 years ago

I honestly don't think I am anal or obsessive about a single thing. I prefer to lead than follow: driver over passenger, lead another driver over follow behind, and I tend to lead a project w/others whether I am asked to or not- I just don't wait around to be told what to do. But I do not think my way is always the right way and will gladly cooperate if someone else is in the lead.

But on things like mundane chores and tasks, I say and believe, "Good enough is almost always good enough." If it won't matter a week from now, it doesn't matter now.

Ask my kids, though, they might have a list. LOL. "No helmet, no wheels!" I am a freak about that. They neighbors have heard me! Seriously, you only get one brain and you really need it, protect it!

• mtnwomanbc
    16 years ago

I am easy going at home with just about everything, much too disorganized and messy for DH, who is OCD about all his clothes, tools, books, and his office. I'll find perfectly good things in the trash that he just doesn't want anymore -- it's like pulling teeth to get him to turn those items over to me so I can give them away or donate them. He says I'll just find an excuse to keep them.

BUT, when we travel, I am OCD about all my things in a hotel room, where he becomes disorganized and messy. I just have to know exactly where all my things are, I guess to ensure that nothing is missing upon checkout. Many times I've asked him "are you sure you packed such and such item?", just to have him go blank, race back to the room, and frantically look for said item.

My travel OCD drives him nuts -- he says why can't I be this way at home? I say, back at you, dude!

• misskittycat1
    16 years ago

~ Oh.... THAT'S what anal means?... Well, all of my 'analgistics' have been mentioned except one. The bottom of my feet are rough and I can't stand for certain fabrics to rub against them, like satin or nylon. It sounds a little like velcro and makes me shiver. Yes, I could sand them down, but to get into that position makes my eyeballs pop out on two stems... ; ) Nancy

• Jodi_SoCal
    16 years ago

Ahhh, a subject near and dear to my heart.

What am I "anal" about??? Everything!!! Just ask the General Contractor who is remodeling my home right now. LOL

As far as non-remodel stuff ... I'm very "MONKish" about socks, they cannot be inside out. Ever.

Bed, when made, has to be perfect.

Everything that Susan_ON wrote except the part about the sink. The sink is my dumping ground. :-)

The same as Sable_CA when it comes to envelope return label colors coordinating with the stamp. Thought you were all alone on this one huh Susan? :-)

I told my husband last week after our kitchen installer stairstepped the edge of our backsplash different that I would have that some days I just hate being me. I pulled the edge complely apart and tried to rebuild it (luckily quick set wasn't used ... our general contractor must have warned her that I would probably want to change things LOL). Was unsuccessful. Could barely sleep that night but managed to doze off and come morning I headed right to the backsplash, created a template of the area and proceeded to draw exactly what I wanted. When she arrived that day to finish up the job, she took my template, removed the tiles, drew my design on the wall and went from there. Looks gorgeous, if I say so myself. :-)

Lots of dishwasher freaks so I'm not alone there.

And I'm definitely with Sooey when it comes to painting ... everything has to be exact, no drips, splatter or unevenness.

Jodi- a recovering perfectionist

• stephanie_in_ga
    16 years ago

I don't mean to sound judgemental of those you with long lists (b/c I really do not judge, you are who you are and that's great with me)....but

Doesn't all that "just so-ness" just wear you out? It makes me tired just reading your lists.

My DH *used* to be more anal about some things. But living with me lowered his standards. ;o) He would have driven me nuts!

• vannie
    16 years ago

I wish I were anal about some things, but the only thing I'm really anal about is punctuality. I can't stand being late and am almost always early. I have a daughter that's always running late and I guess she'll never change. I just think it's so inconsiderate to be late unless there's a REAL good reason, and I understand sometimes there are REAL good reasons!

• patti43
    16 years ago

Good grief--I'm REALLY anal. Almost all those things apply. Especially Susan_on. I bet if she thought a while she could come up with a doozy of a list, because that sounds just like me! And no cabinets opened ever. DH has had to learn with my quirky personality. Some things just drive me nuts! And he came from a laid-back family where stuff like cleaning doesn't matter that much.

• Jodi_SoCal
    16 years ago

To answer your question Stephanie, yes, it does wear me out which is why I mentioned that I told my husband last week "some days I just hate being me."

And speaking of lowering standards ... I found that having kids made it impossible to be a perfectionist I once was so I've loosened up considerably since our kids were born 20+ years ago. So you can only imagine ... LOL

Jodi-

16 years ago

Doesn't all that "just so-ness" just wear you out?

No, I don't think so, so long as someone isn't anal (a perfectionist) about everything....like I mentioned above.

I have a few things that I do (what I consider) perfectly, and wish I did a few more that way. I found it really doesn't take any more time to not let clutter 'happen' than what it takes to deal with it when it piles up. Now if I can just 'remember' that.

Sue...whose perfectly cleaned desk has gone to !@#$ with seed packets everywhere

• summer_tx
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I've also mellowed in my golden years, but I still have too many of my quirks. I'm feeling more and more normal as I read these lists tho. :) And, I've been reminded of a bunch of things I forgot to list. LOL Sheesh, I think we're all related!

• chubby_rat
    16 years ago

Can't think of anything I'm anal about...I feel good just getting the dishes IN the DW let alone a certain way....same with towels and washclothes...long as they're clean,I don't even care if they're wrinkled! LOL! And blankets on the bed...long as I can get covered with them...fine with me.Shutting cupboard doors...I give it a swat,if it doesn't close,I'll catch it on my next trip past it! Oh my...I'm a BUM! LOL!

• Marcia Thornley
    16 years ago

Cupboards,closets,drawers must be closed. My bed must be made up each day before I get into it again. Paper towel rolls and Toilet Tissue rolls hung the wrong way. Window blinds must be at an even height and venetians tilted the same way.The cleaning lady at work drives me crazy. She moves everything on my desk. I spend the first 20 minutes every Monday fixing it up again. I could go on and on!

• golfergrrl
    16 years ago

Probably the only thing is that I'm not comfortable being a passenger in most folks' cars. I was a professional driver and I guess I think that I'm the only one who knows how to drive safely. My bad.

• Kathsgrdn
    16 years ago

The only thing I could think of was wearing seat belts. I make everyone who rides with me wear them.

• Lindsey_CA
    16 years ago

I have a "thing" about my hand towels in the bathroom. I wear contact lenses, and my hands must be clean, clean, clean before I mess with my eyes or my lenses. I have a towel that is "designated" as the one to dry my hands after washing them, before doing anything with my lenses or eyes. I don't want anyone else to even touch that towel. When I wash my hands for any other reason I use a different towel to dry them.

This isn't an issue here at home, because hubs knows better than to touch my "special towel." Besides, we use different bathrooms here at home (three full bathrooms in this house and there's just two of us, so we each have our own upstairs -- mine's the master and his is the hall bathroom). But when we travel and share a bathroom, I always make sure I "hide" the handtowel I use "for my eyes."

• lilliepad
    16 years ago

Lindsey-Wouldn't it just be easier to use a paper towel? LOL

• Lindsey_CA
    16 years ago

Nope. Can't risk any lint or teensy, tiny flecks of paper getting in the eye. If you wear gas permeable contacts, you'd know what I mean. The eensiest little bitty piece of anything feels like the Rock of Gibraltar under the lens.

• bulldinkie
    16 years ago

Too many to menton.Ive gotten pretty strict about a lot of things over the years.My family gets upset but thats the way it is.I like my house clean,things in order and when they arent Im miserable.aint changing now Im too deep.

• des_arc_ya_ya
    16 years ago

Read Coral's post. I'm probably one of the least anal people in the world! LOL

• joyfulguy
    16 years ago

OCD = One Crazy Dame?

Only Cluttered Daily?

Only Catty Defensively?

Often Certifiably Drunk?

Ole Certainly Dipsy

• cheerful1_gw
    16 years ago

Littering. I can't stand it when someone uses the street as their personal garbage pail. I would rather keep the paper in my pocket until I find a place to throw it out.

• murphy_zone7
    16 years ago

all of the above AND the items on shelves and drawers behind closed doors must be lined up neatly facing front. I have so many others that I should seek professional help or so I have been advised by more messy members of my family LOL but I live alone and whatever I want goes.
    Yes...I know I am blessed.

• FlamingO in AR
    16 years ago

I require fabric to match up, if I'm buying a plaid shirt, those stripes have to line up. And the pocket, too.

And I like for new things to be installed without damage to them, nothing makes me madder than asking for help installing something only to have it scratched by someone who is in a hurry or man-handles it. If I wanted it scratched, I'd have bought a used one. Grrr. This happened yesterday and really put a damper on my day. I'm about to subscribe to DIYODS. (If you want something done right, Do It Your Own Damn Self.)

Otherwise, I'm not too anal about things around the house. I don't worry about the little stuff too much.

Jodi, I've been wondering how your kitchen remodel was going!

• theladyinredfromokla
    16 years ago

IM a bum with chubby rat and ya ya. NOt anal!!

• sheesh
    16 years ago

I'm not anal, either! If you can't help it, get professional help! I suppose one could be anal living alone, but why drive other people nuts with it? You're the only one in your head, so unless you post rules for everybody and then make your family miserable if they don't obey, your families must all be unhappy or nervous about upsetting you. Over an open cupboard door? Or something out of place? Sheesh! Get help! Life is lovely, and way too short.

• Jodi_SoCal
    16 years ago

Flamingo, the kitchen remodel is going great! I am thrilled with the results. I've taken lots of pictures but because my home office is also involved in the remodel, I don't have my home computer to upload all the photos to it. But don't you worry, I will post as soon as I can.

Sherrmann, there is OCD "disorder and OCD "personality". Disorder is typically the more serious of the two and often treated. OCD personality is probably what most people who have posted their "quirks" here have. I don't obsess about anything to the point of distraction (ok, there *was* the backsplash incident but at $15/square foot, you want it to be right!). I don't make the bed over and over again until it is perfect. I only check my socks once to make sure they are not inside out, etc. It would be nice to have a more relaxed view on things but it just isn't the way I'm wired. And life *is* lovely now that I have the kitchen I've always dreamed of. :-)

Jodi-

• jannie
    16 years ago

Everything. My closet doors have to be shut. My coffee has to be made the way I like it. Empty mug, two spoons sugar, pour in the cofdfee three-quarters of the way, then the half and half. No one else can do this for me!

• summer_tx
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Sheesh Sherrmann, lighten up. First of all, as you can see by the posts, you are completely outnumbered. :D)

And, Jodi is absolutely right. Most of us are not obsessive about our 'quirks', they are just that, quirks. I don't think I drive my DH to total distraction with mine. Although I'm sure he'd like to put a knot on my head occasionally, but hey, visa versa. Usually, family members get used to each others likes/dislikes and try to oblige them. If you love someone, you will give them a little slack over their quirks and expect the same in return.

• luckygardnr
    16 years ago

Urine! Ever since I found out that the mist from a mans urine travels about 6 feet, I've been grossed out! Toothbrushes have been replaced and nothing gets left on the bathroom counter anymore. I clean the sink daily and spray my countertops, toilets, etc, with a solution of water with a bit of bleach in it. Even my hairblower, curling irons, etc get put away out of sprays reach. Walls around the toilet get cleaned regularly. Yuch!

• susan_on
    16 years ago

I have to disagree with you too, Sherrmann. They're only my little quirks. I don't ask anybody to change their ways for me. I just rearrange things to be the way I like them, and don't even mention it to anybody. In 28 years, it has nevr even come up for discussion.

• Jodi_SoCal
    16 years ago

I guess what might make someone think I have OCD disorder vs. just a nit-picky/quirky personality is when I said I do "MONKish" things .

Monk, "the Defective Detective" TV show is about a guy with OCD disorder. He spends a good deal of time washing his hands with a baby wipe, will only drink a certain brand of bottled water, and spends a great deal of time with his Psychiatrist. I am truly not that bad but can sometimes relate. LOL

Jodi-

• stephanie_in_ga
    16 years ago

OMG 6 FEET?

(Picture Stephanie's eyes bugging out, shaking all over, hands in the air, mouth agape, yet relieved that now I have a term for this problem... "urine mist.")

Man's urine mist travels 6 feet? That explains SO much in my house! Especially considering that the powder room the boys use most often is a bit smaller than 6 X 6, so now I know I'm not crazy, it IS possible the entire room has been "sprayed." And you know, I don't think that number is any less for little boys, I don't know how they have the pressure of a grown man but they DO!

I have been known to rant about the state of the bathroom because I SIT DOWN!! I know it's not mine! I want mens and womens restrooms in my house. The men's/boys' would be tiled from floor to ceiling and have a drain and hose, that's it. And I will never make DD clean the bathroom as she gets older cuz it's not hers either! (Still recovering from some childhood issues there. LOL I got in trouble once for lecturing my brother AND my father about aim after I had been assigned the bathroom cleaning duties. Should have been their job!)

Deep breath. I'm done now. I'm really not anal about that, either. It just gets to me sometimes. If I were anal I would make them sit down, and follow them in to make sure they do.

• jennmonkey
    16 years ago

I'm with you Stephanie and luckygardnr! Men's restrooms- BLECH! I hate even sharing a bathroom with one man. I think all houses should have men and women's separate bathrooms. They make a mess, and they never do a proper job cleaning it themselves. A tiled room with a drain and and hose that combines water and bleach is brilliant!

• joyfulguy
    16 years ago

"Anal"-gesic?

o j

• patti43
    16 years ago

I ws telling DH about this post and he reminded me that I mopped the garage floor last week. He thought I was nuts but, it's a painted floor and looked much better afterwards.

• janemarie5
    16 years ago

Oh Geez.. where do I start...I'm one of those people that likes the house picked up, no clutter. I always do a pass thru before bed. Always make my bed, always floss in the a.m., nothing in the kitchen sink. Never late. So many things are coming to mind.. could be here all day so I won't bore everyone. But in other areas I am totally lax, my car gets pretty dirty before I clean it, can let my bathroom turn into a disaster before I finally clean it. The worst for me is the kids absolutely have to wash their hands before they start touching food/make dinner plate. Just have a thing about that... .Add me to the list of people with OCD.. LOL

• Lindsey_CA
    16 years ago

I've never heard that "a man's urine mist" can "travel about six feet." It is, however, a known fact that the spray from a flushing toilet (no matter what's in it or who put it there) can travel six feet; which is why it is recommended that the lid be lowered before flushing, and that toothbrushes, etc., not be left "out in the open."

16 years ago

You folks are such wonderful entertainment...I'm LMAO at you all.

Anywho, I did a search on spray from a flushing toilet and found an interesting test one can do to actually see it.

A search on the 'other' mist didn't yield anything I could post here.

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: Spray from flushing the toilet-a fun experiment