SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ttodd_gw

Hug Your Furbabies

14 years ago

It's been a tough Fall for many posters here having their pets pass away. It's w/ much sorrow and heavy heart that I must add to the list of loved ones.

My beloved Autumn had to be put to sleep this past Thursday night at 16yrs. young. Many of you helped w/ her this past Summer w/ her recurring bladder infections of which she bounced back from right away. Last wknd though she totally crashed in an amazingly short period of time. We immediately began fluids and got her to the vet. I knew right away that her kidneys had given out on her when I got her to the vet (who in my book is just awesome). He said it was amazing that she hadn't already passed away just by the looks of her but we pressed on w/ a basic creatinin test to see just how far gone her kidneys were. He said between 2-5 we may get her to hang in there for a few months. If it was 5 maybe a few wks. She tested at 6.5 w/ only intermittant (sp?) perk ups so we made the decision to let her go home and wait for us w/ so many of our other aged pets who have gone over the past few yrs.

Thursday my MIL took the kids so I could peacefully be w/ her and we took our last nap together. Everyone came home for dinner and to say goodbye and then I took her to the vet.

The vet and I spoke for awhile afterwards about how amazing animals are and how people so often don't give them enough credit for feeling things deeply and intensly. I say this because we were down to 2 female cats at the time and they have been archrivals for 10+ yrs. Hateful towards eachother. I took the door off of a small dog carrier and put it in the kitchen for Autumn to keep her safe from hurting herself (she could hardly move) and when DH reached in to pet Autumn he actually pet Spicie. Spice had squeezed her big old body into the crate to be w/ Autumn side by side and kept her warm. The next night Autumn drug herself out of the crate to the LR sofa where Spicie sleeps and again they slept side by side. Aren't animals wonderful?

Sorry - I didn't mean for this to be so long.

Comments (30)