SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_21006250

Need advice about problem with neighbour

User
13 years ago

We have two flowerbeds at the end of our driveway. We have a neighbour directly across the street from us who owns one dog and frequently looks after 2 more. He has no control over the dogs. They are constantly in my gardens pissing and crapping. We have gone over and talked to him and politely asked him to control the dogs. He apologzies, makes some excuse but lets it keep happening. A couple of weeks ago, there was actual damage to my plants and a mess on the driveway again where the dog(s)dug up the mulch. We have witnessed the dogs over on our property a few times I can image how many times they have been over which we havent seen. No wonder some of the plants arent doing well in those beds.

Last night we were awoken to barking dogs and when I looked out the window, all three dogs were again in my flowerbed. Last time we spoke to him I told him I was going to call the animal control if it happened again. I just sent an email filing a complainment against him. Not sure if this will work, he has more money that he knows what to do with, so fines are not a problem for him.

He does have his house up for sale, but is asking double what it is worth, has been up for sale over 2 years, so he is here for a while. Other people on the street have the same issue but I think are a bit afraid to get involved as this guy has a history of suing.

What else can we do?

Comments (71)

• User
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

“really dont blame the dogs but am I within my rights to put something out that might make the dogs a it sick.”

Absolutely not. I’m honestly surprised that you can question that and consider getting a dog.

You’ve gotten some great advice here. I hope you’re able to get this resolved soon or that your neighbor moves. One of those deer cams would be the way to go. Housewitch is right about the nice clear pictures even at night. DH has one.

• tinam61
    13 years ago

Ditto what Shee and others said. I don't blame you a bit for being annoyed, but do not take it out on the dog. Please do not do anything that might harm it.

tina

• Related Discussions

Need advice about a tree problem.

Q

Comments (1)
    I'd call a tree surgeon. It may be possible to save the tree but it probably needs special attention.
    ...See More

need advice about leaf problem.

Q

Comments (3)
    I posted more pics a few days before this post, but I guess I named the post wrong and received no hits on it. Look a few days back under "tomato leaf pics??" and you'll see the background info. I have since flushed the system with ph'ed water and lowered the nutes. I thought they might be getting to much fert. Thanks for the help,
    ...See More

Please advice - neighbour always complaining

Q

Comments (7)
    Your choice of words indicates that you may have been treating her like a senile old woman. In which case, I don't blame her for complaining. However, she may be the type of person that complains about everything to everybody and you just happen to be handy. I doubt if there is a thing you can do about it. She might be a bit disturbed, in which case, you could be looking at more trouble. I would think seriously about moving if you could. If the walls and floors are that thin, it's probably a fire trap.
    ...See More

what to do about neighbours

Q

Comments (16)
    Well we have very nice neighbours, too. But on one side, they have no interest in plants and hence do not *notice* when their running bamboo takes off each year (after they have each year declared they will get rid of it) and it invades my yard. I just cut it back, poison it, and go over their side when they are out, and do the same. Nor do they notice when other ferals that they inherited when they moved here ("we love the green") start overhanging my yard by metres or their crappy palms drop tons of smelly fruit all over my path and roof. I could say a lot, but I lead by example and when I get out there and rake and tidy, sometimes I get a bit of positive reaction and a few things are cut down and taken away. The nicest thing, and the reason I bite my tongue, is that when their rubbish is taken away, they offer to take all mine, too, including things like a rusted out hot-water tank that I would have had NO WAY of getting rid of. Nice neighbours. Now the neighbours 2 away are another matter. They have 3 little boys and they like to keep them "interested" to be at home. First it was a drum set now it is a skate-board ramp in the backyard. It goes on for hours, I'm almost thankful the bl**dy traffic noise is so bad this time of day that it drowns them out. Sheesh where do you go, we were thinking of the sunshine coast LOL. Maybe I'd better just buy some more blackberry killer and some better ear-plugs, and stay put.
    ...See More
  • User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks everyone, we'll see what happens with the compliant I have filed before I move on to other things.

• Shannon01
    13 years ago

I honestly feel you have no intention to actually, physically cause harm to the dog. I understand how frustrated you are. I think you did the right thing filing a complaint after so many times speaking with him. I would now do as suggested and kindly knock on his door each and every time so he can come out and see the damage and clean it up.

One comment for everyone. I did this for my own pup but will never again. He was chewing on things in the yard so I made a paste of cayanne pepper and put it on things. He stopped chewing on those things which was fine. But.... I just saw a show where they mentioned that the dog could get this on his paws and rub his eyes and the pepper can actually cause blindness, or at least problems. NEVER even crossed my mind. If I ever have to do something like this again I will research a bit more. Luckily my pup did not have any problems. One snif and he stayed far away.

• spring-meadow
    13 years ago

Another deterrent you might try is to put river rock or pebbles underneath your mulch. Animals don't like to dig in things like that. Try it on a small bed first to see if it works. Might not be so great on a large area if you need to work the soil.

I think I've read about some sonic devices for keeping animals away.

Too bad there's nothing to be done about troublesome kids. That's the problem where I live. And the older ones can retaliate.

• work_in_progress_08
    13 years ago

Have to say I am particularly disturbed by the suggestion to feed or put something down in your beds for the dog to ingest - something to make it sick. I don't think injuring the dog is the answer.

The dog is the only component in this equation that doesn't have a voice. Gosh, it's a dog. Get it straightened out with the neighbor.

What is it exactly that he would sue you for? If you intentionally poison his dog, well then he would have grounds to file a legal action against you. Other than that scenario, I can't see any reason your neighbor would have any standing in the way of any legal repercussion against you?

If your neighbor won't be reasonable or responsible for his dog's behavior, then yes, bag up the stuff the dog leaves in your garden, and put in back onto his property. Take it to his door and have a chat with him if you are willing to do so.

I would NOT put it in the mailbox. I am pretty sure that mailboxes fall under the purview of co-ownership by the USPS. Should you leave him a surprise in his mailbox, you might be at risk for a fine at the very least. Suppose it is the mail carrier who is making a delivery to the mailbox who encounters the mailbox filled with dog poop? I don't think that would fare very well for you, or for the carrier. That particular scenario may very well put YOU in a bit of legal hot water!

I do feel badly for this dog. While I understand your frustration, and your anger over your flower beds being used as a "potty box", you need to resolve this problem from a reasonable standpoint with the dog's legal owner.

You do have the ability to use some type of non-toxic deterrent in your beds. In fact, you've gotten quite a few ideas as to what to use to deter the behavior, but so as not to hurt the animal.

When you live in a neighborhood, there is always at least one neighbor who grates on the nerves of rest of the others in the neighborhood. Sounds as tho you've got a doozy of a neighbor. However, it isn't fair to take it out on his dog - regardless of his (dog's) behavior. It is the owner of the dog who is responsible here.

JMHO - as a longtime lover of all animals, especially dogs.

My boys:

Chester -

Lowell -

I will say, however, that if someone were to intentionally injure/poison one of my dogs, for any reason, I would definitely make sure that said person was charged with whatever statute I was able to avail myself of in my State. I would be certain to make every effort to punish whomever committed the act of poisoning my family pet.

A quick trip to HD or Lowe's may be your best bet, in an effort to deter your neighbor's dog from using your flower beds as a place to dig, play or go to the bathroom.

Also, if you are concerned about germs, wear a pair of those disposable latex gloves while working in the beds. The disposable gloves are very handy for use around the house. You can purchase a large box at HD or Lowes specifically for use in your garden, or working outside generally. Besides the cleanliness factor, the gloves protect your hands (manicure?) from being ruined.

• nicole__
    13 years ago

We've used "scram". It is a sprinkled granule that must smell bad to a dog or cat? It WORKS! It's NOT harmful to the animal...animals just don't bother the flower beds by the street anymore. :0) Mission accomplished!

Really....I know how you feel....

• spring-meadow
    13 years ago

Another thing. Let your dh handle it, man to man. Do not go along. Men seem to be able to work these things out better between themselves than by having a woman coming around to tell them what to do. Might be too late for that approach but I'd still let dh handle it from now on and stay out of the picture.

• graywings123
    13 years ago

I agree, do not put the poop in the mailbox unless you affix postage to it. The proper way to go about returning poop along with a message is to collect the poop in a brown paper bag, place the bag at the door, light the bag on fire with a match, then ring the doorbell and run like he!!.

(I'm not recommending, just instructing.)

• golddust
    13 years ago

LOL, graywings, but you must do more than just put stamps on it. It must be mailed to him through the post office.

• Shannon01
    13 years ago

graywings you are soooo funny.

golddust- can you imagine the looks of all the postal folks while that package makes it's way through the system????

My neighbor's boxer comes out front with her when she comes home from work. He goes right to the lawn area between our houses and poops..... on our side. Never her side. She is really nice and would feel bad about not paying attention to him as he runs about. Dh has just been flicking it back to her side before he mows each week. She must think her pup is amazing cause he never goes on our side- lol.

• texasporch
    13 years ago

I called animal control every single time I saw the dog off leash. Everytime. Many times it was after hours so I left a message on the recorder. I also took pictures and emailed them.

The animal control folks became more stern with the owner because so many calls came in. I also mentioned that I was afraid the animal might be getting more aggressive and that I was becoming afraid to leave my house.(True he would raise up on his back legs and look in my window and bark at my poodle.)

I carefully read the town regulations and quoted them in my phone messages to animal control. I quite simply was not going to put up with the situation.

This was a big dog and there was no fenced yard. They started chaining the dog up so I started calling about that too because it was against the law to tie an animal. I also called the Humane Society.

The people were renters and they moved. The house was full of dog poop.

Do not let your animal control folks off the hook - they get paid to enforce town laws with regard to animals and irresponsible or hapless owners. In my town you do not have to identify yourself - just give the address of the owner.

Best of luck to you.

Linda

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Animal control left a message to confirm they got our complaint and will handle it immediately. We are to contact them if it happens again. I am happy to know they arent ignoring us.

As far as DH handling it himself, no, we went to talk to the neighbour together and we will proceed together. The bylaw officer told us that if the neighbour ignores the warnings, then they will lay a charge under the Provincinal Offences Act. In that case DH and I will be named, which is fine.

• work_in_progress_08
    13 years ago

OP writes: "He does have his house up for sale, but is asking double what it is worth, has been up for sale over 2 years, so he is here for a while. Other people on the street have the same issue but I think are a bit afraid to get involved as this guy has a history of suing."

I am still wondering what it is that you've done that makes you fear that the neighbor will sue you? You've posted nothing that would indicate that the neighbor would have grounds to sue you? In fact, you are the one filing a complaint against him regarding his dog's behavior on your property? I just don't understand your "history of suing" comment about your neighbor in your OP.

Do you have any pets that may be attracting (unintentionally, of course) the dog to your property, or has he/she just randomly chosen your flower bed as his play/potty ground?

texasporch writes: "I called animal control every single time I saw the dog off leash. Everytime. Many times it was after hours so I left a message on the recorder. I also took pictures and emailed them.
    The animal control folks became more stern with the owner because so many calls came in. I also mentioned that I was afraid the animal might be getting more aggressive and that I was becoming afraid to leave my house.(True he would raise up on his back legs and look in my window and bark at my poodle.)"

While I completely understand fear of dogs, as I suffered a severe dog attack when I was a teen. I had to have over 60 stitches and have had to work very hard to get over my fear of dogs. I handle it differently than most. The first thing DH & I did when we went under contract on our home, we picked out our first dog, to be picked up after settlement.

Be that as it may, TP - are you really truly afraid to leave your house? What type of dog is this that is visiting your poodle? You need to understand dog behavior, in that most dogs are not aggressive, they are afraid when they are left by their negligent owner(s) to roam. Dogs, instinctively, will always seek out food and shelter if left on their own for too long. Dogs aren't at all like the "feral" cats, that will run away from humans. Most dogs seek out human contact. If they are left to roam, they look for attention elsewhere. I have gotten so many strays on my property.

First, I try to leash them up on the newel post of our deck, and give them a bowl of water. I then check for a collar, tags or any type of identifying indicator. If I don't find any type of ID on the dog, only then do I call the local police dept. and our county's Animal Control in order to inquire as to whether they've received calls reporting a missing pet. I went through this exercise just a few weeks ago early one Sunday morning before church.

In the event I'd just called Animal Control to take the dog away, they would have been taking a family's pet that more than likely would end up being euthanized. Our shelters are so full, the shelters cannot keep a lost dog/cat for any period of time. Too many stories on the local news featuring stories of people missing a pet, going to the shelters only to find that their pet had already been euthanized. I like my method much better:0).

As you can tell, I have pretty much worked out my fear of dogs. I concentrate on advocating for them. Works for me. It is very rewarding when you can give an owner their family pet back. Usually there is a child/ren at home beside themselves over their pet missing.

While you can keep calling Animal Control every time you see a dog off a leash, either one of two things will happen: 1. the squeaky wheel will get the grease; or 2. you will become the boy who cried wolf, or "that woman/person" who contantly calls Animal Control. I think the latter actually will be the outcome, just from personal experience and from working with those who rescue animals.

Talk with the neighbor face to face. I just don't agree about the man-to-man thing. That idea, sounds very dated and negates your own ability to handle issues. I won't send my husband to do my bidding when I have an issue in any venue. I am an adult, as are you, just handle it with a clear head and your temper in check. In the event the neighbor fails to control his dog, then proceed with picking up the poop and placing it in a bag, putting same on his front step.

graywings - the poop bag on fire- too funny! Problem with that is that at this time of year where we live, the leaves are coming off of the trees like mad. Leaving a burning bag of poop would be a fire danger here.

I hope you can resolve the matter with your neighbor.

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

We have done nothing for him to sue us. We know of his past and it as included a couple of incidents, a few years ago, he has sued a company, didnt win, and one recently where he was wanting to sue our town (long story) but his lawyers talked in out of it is what we have heard from others. I think that is why our neighbours are putting up with his iresponsible behaviour.

• spring-meadow
    13 years ago

"I just don't agree about the man-to-man thing. That idea, sounds very dated and negates your own ability to handle issues"

She already said she didn't want him to handle it. It's her decision.

The point is to get the problem solved. It's not a women's rights issue. Above all, the dog's life might be at stake here with animal control. Doesn't matter if it's dated or not, it's true. Lots (and lots) of men are like that and don't like taking orders (or what they perceive to be) from women and will balk and become stubborn. I would put my own feelings about that aside and just let dh take care of the situation. This is even someone who is already known to be difficult. Like I said, they very often work things out between themselves amicably and reasonably (when approached by way of a level-headed discussion). I don't see anything wrong with letting the men work it out. They understand each other. Who cares. There are plenty of opportunities to handle ones own issues as a grown woman. Though it's probably too late for discussion at this point since things have escalated already. I'm praying for the dog.

• natal
    13 years ago

Spring, are you by any chance a man?

• spring-meadow
    13 years ago

No, actually I'm a dog.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    13 years ago

LOL

• beekeeperswife
    13 years ago

I hope the man listens to the "authorities". I get so angry over stuff like this. It really is a pet peeve of mine. Long time ago we had a little ugly terrier that lived across the street--seriously, I think it might have won one of those "ugliest dog in the world contests". Anyway, it never ever pooped on its own lawn. I convinced dh NOT to put the poop in a bag and set it on fire in their driveway, so instead, we just would fling the poop across the street into their driveway, onto their lawn. I mean if it is their dog, it's their poop, didn't want them to be missing it. ;-) It was very cathartic to just wing it over there.

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I hear you beekeeperswife, you actually made me laugh. If the authorities dont do their job or he doesnt listen not sure what we am going to do. Why should we have to spend our money on deterrants, or sprays, or whatever because I have an ass for a neighbour. DH says maybe we should remove the gardens and then we wont have this frustration. I told him over my dead body. Anyway we'll see what happens.

• work_in_progress_08
    13 years ago

I try to stay at or above the level of "good will". When someone does something that irritates/angers me, I try not to respond in kind. In other words, I try not to stoop to the level of behavior that irritated or angered me in the first place. JHMO.

• maire_cate
    13 years ago

I hope animal control can get through to this fellow. I can easily imagine how aggravating this is. We had a fellow who walked his dog down our street every day and of course the dog liked to do his business in my front yard - and his owner would just walk on. When I spoke to the owner he claimed he'd never let his dog to that.

So one day I luckily photographed the dog doing the dirty deed while the owner stood next to it. I bagged the evidence and knocked on the man's door. His wife answered and I handed her the bag and told her that her husband and dog had left this in my front yard and that this was a near daily occurrence. I then showed her the photo on my camera. That was the last time they walked in front of my home.

Some people just don't respond to reason.

• golddust
    13 years ago

I love living in the country! We have 2 1/2 acres and our dogs do their business as far away from the house as possible. Since we're fenced, their bathroom is still on our property but a long ways from our house.

I couldn't stand living so close to others.

• User
    13 years ago

LOL at these posts. I too am having a neighbor dog problem but unfortunately, we are in the country with no animal control, no leash laws, and no noise ordinances. So the dogs can bark all night and then come into our backyard at will and there is nothing we can do except file a civil suit. Makes me mad that the onus is put on me and the other neighbors who are irritated with these neighbors and I know of 3 other neighbors who are ready to take action against them.

But the real reason I posted is to tell you that those wildlife cameras work, but not quickly. Like the old digital cameras, there is a click and a couple of seconds pass before the photo is taken. I have one, and I have more pictures of nothing than I do of animals. Only if they stop in the spot where they tripped the motion detector will there be a picture. If they stop to dig, you've got them, but if they are just walking by, you'll get a picture of your empty driveway. I got mine to see what kind of wildlife was stopping by at night to visit my pond. That's actually when I first noticed that the neighbor's dogs were in my yard a lot.

Just thought I'd mention this though it doesn't sound like you are about to rush out and buy one.

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The neighbour hasnt been home much lately so nothing has been happening that I can tell. I dont know when and if the bylaw officer came or not. We live on a 2 acre property but obviously the space doesnt help.

marti, thanks for the warning. I dont intend on buying anything. I have pictures of the dog on other neighbours properties, not on mine, but the law is the dog must be leashed if not on owner's property so I already have proof.

• Oakley
    13 years ago

Interesting topic. Here's my two cents.

I do agree with Spring about having your husband go over there alone. Let's be honest here, men handle these kinds of situations better than women. One of the reasons most women don't want a woman boss.

I would keep a cat pooper scooper hidden in my flowerbed and each time I saw the droppings, I'd fling it to my neighbor's front yard or even better, his driveway if it's concrete.

A friend does this for cats but I don't see why it can't work for dogs. Get a bunch of sticks and break them into 6" pieces. Stick them in the ground and leave a couple of inches uncovered on top. It should give enough pain to the dog for him to leave. When he comes back over and over again, he'll finally figure out it's not a good place to do his business.

Another thing I'd do is keep a broom by my front door and if you're inside and see this dog, quickly go out & grab the broom and scream at the dog to go away. Bang the broom on the ground and act like you're going after the dog.

You'll be close enough to the door to run, but I think the dog would freak out and be the one running.

But you have to be consistent and do this stuff over and over again.

I'd also invest in those "chemicals" that others have suggested and keep sprinkling it in there, not the one's that hurt the dog, but the kind that deters them.

It's obvious this man isn't going to do anything so the ball is always going to be in your court and you have to try different approaches now.

• spring-meadow
    13 years ago

Good suggestions, Oakley. The sticks would probably work better than the stones I suggested in terms of being able to just work them in like mulch when turning the soil or replanting. Animals don't like to dig in things like that. And I've done the same thing with cats that roam but just by clapping or slamming the door and yelling OOOUT! when I see them coming around to stalk the birds outside. Yep, I'd just toss his stuff back over, into the drive even better. Not a big deal really if you use a scooper.

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Oh believe me I have yelled and chased the dog out of my gardens. It is not always the problem with the poop, when the dog pisses in the garden he has a habit of scraping for lack of a better word his two hind legs into the mulch which of coarse scatters it all over my driveway and road and last time actually that action pulled out most of my plant.

• spring-meadow
    13 years ago

But if not so DN keeps finding poop on his drive, it becomes his problem so he might get tired of it, eliminating the other too. Putting something uncomfortable in for their feet is a good deterrent to try.

• runninginplace
    13 years ago

"Let's be honest here, men handle these kinds of situations better than women. One of the reasons most women don't want a woman boss."

Oakley, I found this statement offensive.

Ann

• CaroleOH
    13 years ago

How big around is this garden area? I think an earlier suggestion of putting up a garden fence - I've seen some that are really attractive that are no more than 12-18" high would keep them out.

They probably are in a habit of going over there because of the scent or most likely other dogs going on walks have used your beds for their bathroom. Dogs like to pee and do their business where other dogs have gone.

If you put up a fence, that may be enough deterrent, I wouldn't want to hurt the dogs feet with sticks - remember they're dogs, they're not doing this on purpose. They think this is a really nice, soft dirt area to do their business. It's easy to access, just cross the road and bingo they're in heaven.

I would try the easy solutions first to make the access not as easy for the dogs before I'd resort to physical harm of an animal or "poop" dumping on the neighbor's driveway.

• work_in_progress_08
    13 years ago

Yes, Oakley, me too here with "the men" dealing with things.

First off, we are in the year 2010 and secondly, what happens to those women who don't have a "man" around to "deal" with things.

This is the very thing that I have a pet peeve with regarding raising young girls, and more particularly, my DD. I am sending her to a good college, and have worked with her since she was old enough to understand that you don't need a man to do things for you. Learn to do them for yourself. There's alot of satisfaction in being independent. Cannot stress that enough.

I have shown my DD by doing that you don't need a man for pretty much anything. She grew up watching her mother do things that probably would have been considered a "man's" job, but that was just the point. Also, if you need something taken care of and there is no "man", if it is too heavy or whatever, hire someone. That way, if/when you begin a relationship with a man, you will be on equal footing and never beholden. I have seen too many female friends and family just fold up their tent when their DH or SO decides to move on to greener pastures.

Roseabby, sorry to hijack about the men thing, but this particular issue sets me on fire, especially when raising a young woman in today's world.

What are mothers of sons teaching their boys? That only men are capable?

BTW, Oakley, I did work with/for a woman in the past, and I have to tell you she was better to work for than any man I'd been employed by in my working life.

• tinam61
    13 years ago

Runninginplace (Ann), I found it ridiculous!

As for the suggestions of banging a broom, flinging poop, etc. proceed only if you want the neighbors to think you are crazy.

As for sticks to HURT THE DOG'S FEET - that is just plain cruel. Again, it is the OWNER who is the problem, the dog does not know better.

Work in progress - very good post. Very important what we are teaching our children.

tina

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

DH and I are handing this issue together.

We had to send another email to the bylaw officer, as the dog was over again this morning.

• spring-meadow
    13 years ago

The purpose of the stones or sticks is to be uncomfortable or not appealing to dig in. Some high sticks interspered in the plants might even make walking into the area difficult. I doubt Oakley actually *meant* 'pain' even though that's the word she used. I certainly didn't. I would never hurt the dog with a deterrent. That's why I would *not* be calling animal control. Or making them sick. I also think it would be obvious someone was chasing the dog out of their garden. That does not look crazy, imo. Funny waving a broom maybe but not crazy. Too bad for the poop. Though I would not light it on fire. Or put it in the mailbox (government property).

As for *never* letting a man handle things, that's hogwash. It's about the dog. This has nothing to do with raising daughters to be independent and resourceful. Way overblown and overgeneralized. Is there even a daughter in the picture here to witness such a travesty to justice? I believe roseabbey is a grown woman. I also think having an attitude about it gives women a bad rap and I don't like it. I have had to deal with the repercussions of *that* and I don't like it one bit. It's one thing to be strong and independent but having an attitude about it is offensive. Even to females. I would not want *my* daughter to be raised that way.

• Oakley
    13 years ago

What is offensive about what I said regarding men handling things better? It's the TRUTH. I'm talking about most men, not all men. It's a fact that men get along much better than women because women take things much more personal than men. Women are also a lot more emotional than men. Men have this way of dealing with things that women don't. I stand by what I said. Point proved actually when Ann said she found what I said "offensive." Men would blow it off and not be offended nor would they publicly state it. I rest my case.

And Tina, GMAB about the sticks hurting the dog. It's not all that painful, it's uncomfortable enough to keep them OUT.

And I'm LOL at you making fun of EVERYTHING I've said, especially about the broom. In your email to me you told me you would ignore me in topics and wanted me to do the same. I have tried and tried, so would YOU please keep to your deal? Thank you.

You obviously have never dealt with a stray dog or any animal that can scare the life out of you or tear up your property. If you had, you know that a broom scares them off. Oh, but we must go by "aesthetics" mustn't we unless people will think we're off our rocker. ;)

• Oakley
    13 years ago

Work, you're blowing this way out of proportion. This has nothing to do with having a woman do what all men can do, even though many of us aren't physically capable. Another fact.

This has to do with talking to one another. Not going to space, becoming a doctor, or ride a motorcycle.

It's how men and women relate to each other. If you've never witnessed it then I can't explain it. Your daughter can be independant and excell at everything she does, but it still doesn't mean she won't take things too serious or become emotional. Apples and Oranges.

I worked for a woman who was fantastic, but we were in a small office. When I went to work for a bank, the claws came out because of all the disgusting cattiness and jealousy. It was awful! Thank goodness I only answered to one person.

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

ok, not sure why this post has turned into men vs women discussion but I have an update.

Just go to off the phone with the bylaw officer, who is actually a women. She told me she sent an email to him last week and today she gave him a call following my email this morning. He denied even having a dog and then he hung up on her. She asked if I could take pictures of the dog, didnt have to be on my property. I said I already had two, so I sent them to her. Let see what happens now.

• tinam61
    13 years ago

Oakley, you are the one who has continued to email. I did suggest we not reply to each other. This is not YOUR topic. I could not stop myself from responding because, frankly, I couldn't believe what you had responded.

While I do see what you mean about men (in general) being less emotional (in some situations of course), I still don't agree that men would handle this situation better.

No, I have not had a stray animal *scare the life out of me*, or tear up my property. Rose is not talking about a stray, but a neighbor's pet. Not that the neighbor is in the right, just clarifying. It seems she (and her husband) are handling things calmly at this point. I have, of course, had a dog use our yard as a toilet at times - who hasn't? But I don't run after it with a broom, fling poop onto someone else's property, etc. I most likely would ignore it. In Rose's case that isn't working but I think she is doing the best thing by contacting the authorities, and hopefully they will handle it.

For the record, I wasn't LOL at you - just amazed at your post.

Also, I'm not sure what GMAB stands for. Not that it matters, my discussion with you is over.

tina

• maire_cate
    13 years ago

Roseabbey - He denied having dogs! Now that's an interesting development. Does your municipality require dogs to have a license? Maybe his pet isn't licensed and that's why he denied having one.

• natal
    13 years ago

Just go to off the phone with the bylaw officer, who is actually a women.

You can always count on a woman! Your neighbor must be a total moran!

Tina, don't waste your breath.

• DLM2000-GW
    13 years ago

Without going back through to read, didn't you say at one point that the dogs belong to his son or something? I seem to remember that - maybe THAT'S how he manages to say he doesn't have dogs! I'm tellin' ya - it takes all kinds - but why do they have to live next door (or on the block!)? I don't know what a by-law office is - are they responsible only for enforcing the various by-laws in various subdivisions?

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yes, dogs are supposed to be licensed here.

He has no son, not sure where you got that from. He lives alone with the dog unless he moves someone in temporarily. He has had 2 live ins since we have moved into our house, 18 months ago.

A bylaw officer is exactly as the title implies, she is responsible in ensuring the local laws or municipal statutes of the town are enforced. She can give someone a fine and take them to court if her warnings are ignored.

• work_in_progress_08
    13 years ago

oakley - How is that I am blowing the "man talk" out of proportion? You had an opinion, I just stated mine. Again, I think we just think differently, which is fine. May be a generational/regional, or just plain ole difference of opinion.

springmeadow - my post was not addressed to you, but in response to and directed to oakley.

SM -I don't have an attitude. You see that's where you go off track. I have an opinion, which I believe I am entitled to present in a discussion. That's why they make chocolate and vanilla ice cream. Life is about choices. The beautiful thing about the Country in which I live - everyone is free to make choices in doing what is right for their own life and the lives of their children.

However, springmeadow, your post "I have had to deal with the repercussions of *that* and I don't like it one bit. It's one thing to be strong and independent but having an attitude about it is offensive. Even to females. I would not want *my* daughter to be raised that way." -- pretty much sums you up for me, with regard to your views on life matters. Rather, the pot calling the kettle black, if you will. Words like attitude, and being disrespectful to another's choice in how to properly raise a daughter is more offensive to me more than any discussions that would be had by men, women or both. Also, please keep in mind, that I am not raising your daughter, rather, my own.

Again roseabby, sorry for the hijack. So as not to turn your OP into a "Hot Topics" thread, I won't be participating further. I wish you the best of luck in solving this problem with your neighbor's dog.

• golddust
    13 years ago

This thread is getting tiring. Yawn.

We can do better than this, right?

• spring-meadow
    13 years ago

You are so right, Golddust. And totally boring! But I am not just walking away from being attacked like that and having someone put words or opinions into my mouth.

WIP, back at you calling the kettle black. As long as we're being nasty here, I was not talking to you when you jumped on my suggestion that the two guys work it out. I didn't appreciate that commentary, either. IMO, they understand each other as men and so can communicate better to work it out. Further, better to circumvent the battle of the sexes if that’s a problem in getting things resolved, especially since a dog could lose its home. I do believe the OP is perfectly capable of deciding what suggestions are helpful to her and which aren't. I don't see how your rants are even on subject.

And again, kettle, black, you do seem to feel entitled to comment as you please on other's posts but don't allow the same freedom to the rest of us, telling me you weren't talking to me. You know, that 'discussion' you were just talking about, to me even.

"I have an opinion, which I believe I am entitled to present in a discussion."

You take my suggestion out of context initially for your commentary and also went at Oakley about it (which was, afterall, in reference to my very own post I might add). She wasn't talking to you either. Though we can't go near whatever you have to say? *Even* when it's in reference to our own posts? LOL. It works both ways. This is the net and a free world. Freedom for ALL to express their opinions. We're all equals here, and on this earth. You are not the only one who is free to speak their mind.

And then again, you were the one going into your peeve about how people should 'raise young girls" and how mothers were raising their boys as well for that matter. Not just your own. I wasn't telling you how to raise your daughter. You were telling us how to raise ours in case you didn't notice. What I actually was saying, and it's hard to articulate, is that bad and abrasive attitudes and behaviors on male-female issues (I will not even attempt to describe those) is not something I would want to instill in *my* daughter. I don't think it helps matters any either. Self confidence and independence, of course. Wasn't really referring to *you* specifically, because I don't know you from Adam, but you were going off about things. For no real reason I might add. Which is a good deal what I’m talking about, how I wouldn’t want my daughter to feel or behave towards others about being female. I don't think anyone would *not* want their daughters to be independent, resourceful and successful women. Dependent on no one, male or otherwise. Sons as well. That doesn't mean not handling every or one particular situation oneself is somehow falling short. I wouldn't want to instill that in my child either. Or that it's somehow not alright to ask for help when you need it. Don't be putting words in my mouth. Speak for yourself.

You have no idea what my views on life matters are. That's bizarre.

As I said, I was referring to certain interpersonal behaviors and attitudes, not *yours* per se. Though you obviously have one. So much so that it 'sets you on fire.' Well, your pot is burned black. And if you go around acting like this, when there isn't even an issue at hand, you do contribute to giving women a bad rap. I do object to that because it affects me, in a number of ways. Though you certainly have the right. As do I.

Yep, this thread does demonstrate why it's best to let the men handle things between themselves, just as Oakley already noted. And like she said, if you don't know what we're talking about with the guys working things out, it just can't be explained. Wouldn't bother me a bit to let someone else handle him. A relief at that (and I am very independent and resourceful). That's what the authorities are going to be doing for her anyway.

I hate oppression in all forms. And I do find your posts to be oppressive. You have no right to tell anyone here to sit down and shut up. I don't like it any better when it comes from a man.

And I don't think you're at all sorry for hijacking this thread.

I'm not wasting any more of my time on this chaotic nonsense and what was a simple suggestion, to be tried or tossed out by the OP, which she did at the get-go. Other than praying for the wellbeing of this dog. I hope the fines work and he doesn't lose his home. He’d likely be euthanized. Especially in this economy where so many have lost their homes and the no-kills are filled.

• natal
    13 years ago

• pugga
    13 years ago

Just laughed a little coffee out of my nose, natal.

• n2cookin
    13 years ago

Next time it happened, I would tell the neighbor he MUST come over and clean up his dog's poop. If he is not willing to do so, then tell him you'll use your best "bacon grease" on those "piles" and let the dogs clean up their own darn mess!!!