SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pkguy

Mini-split questions and warranties

pkguy
13 years ago

Currently have a Mitsubishi mini-split 15,000btu that is toasted. Surprised to find out that it's almost 20 y.o. It was in the house when we bought 3 summers ago and I never thought it cooled all that well and now it's not cooling at all. Per the tech it's leaked all it's coolant and will cost big time to repair.

I'm down to deciding on a few quotes and all the prices are within about $500 of each other.. The warranties however aren't.. Mitsubishi offers 1yr labor and 6yr parts and 6 years compressor

Fujitsu and LG only offer 1 yr labor and 2 year parts and 5/6 years compressor..

So there's a bonus 4 years more parts coverage on the Mitsu but at a cost of about $400 more..

I've had bad luck lately with things like dishwashers and fridges crapping out around 3 years just out of warranty..

With the cost of parts probably being high does it make sense in this case to bite the bullet and go with Mitsubishi? All other things being equal. I know one repair on the Fujitsu/LG might not be $400 but then again it could be or even more.. Worse if they needed more than one repair in those 4 years.

Comment (1)