SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lakeguy35

Morel Mushrooms

lakeguy35
16 years ago

One of my employees gifted with a bag of these today. I've never had or cooked with them before. She told me to cut them in half and soak them in salt water to clean them and remove/kill any bugs. Okay, not sure about the bug thing..LOL. She told me her family loves to dip them in egg and then crushed crackers and fry them. Not sure about that and thought y'all could fill me in on the best way to use these. Do they taste like other shrooms? I remember Annie, Nancy, and several others farther North talking about these a few years ago. I had know idea they could be found down here. They were picked Saturday and Sunday morning. What's my timeline to use them before they go bad? Recipes, general ideas, or any input is greatly appreciated...thanks!

David

Comments (13)

• jessyf
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I have no morels. But you all knew that already. yuk yuk

They taste a lot like porcini shrooms - very earthy!

I love mine in beef stew, and I toss the dried ones into a food processor to pulverize them, and add it to polenta.

Congrats, you have treasure!

• lindac
    16 years ago

OMG OMG!!!! They are to DIE for!
    I don't cut in half unless they are huge....soak in salt water....for 10 minutes or so, drain and pat dry on a dish towel ( not paper...it may stick)
    When dry, get a pie plate ready with a cup of flour ( may be too much, but flour is cheap, morels a rare treat!) add 1/2 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp fresh ground pepper...mix and dip the morels in the flour and pat...so they become wwell coated, heat a 1/2 stick butter in a fry pan and fry the morels until they are slightly browned and a little crisp on the edges....add more butter ad needed....remember this is a rare treat!
    Oh my!! The best thing in the world! better than chocolate and better than steak and lobster!
    Linda C

• Related Discussions

Morel Mushroom ID?

Q

Comments (6)
    I would be careful with that mushroom, initially it looks correct, but looking closer; I have never seen that configuration, the twins from one stump plus the little ones below. Also the indentations seem way to orderly. They are placed straight in a line up and down. I would cut one open. A morel is completely hollow, a false morel is partially solid. Hard to tell from picture, but I would be very careful with that. I pick and eat many morels each season and I just don't like the looks of those. Hope this helps, Charles
    ...See More

Morel mushroom season

Q

Comments (2)
    Our hunting day was rained out, now we're gonna shoot for tomorrow, but I just came in from dumping stuff in the compost bin and its RAINING AGAIN !!!!!! I feel like I should give up and build an ark !
    ...See More

I Will Always Love You

Q

Comments (13)
    Thank you, thank you, thank you and thank you. Sol, "Whitney Houston was a powerhouse of talent, and will be missed. And so would your beautifully-plated dishes, if you were to quit doing it. Sol" I will say the same about you, Sol, you are my inspiration. Teresa, the lucky one is me. there are people who will put up with me. ------------------------------------- That was Valentine on Sunday. This was for valentine on Monday. The Birkshire pork shoulder from my dear friend, simply sous vided. It was simply amazing pork. It was so juicy, beyond fork-tender, literally melting tender. Good thing that I decided not to over season it. dcarch
    ...See More

Father's Day

Q

Comments (4)
    Thank you pillog. Yes, that's a different way to cut scallion. Thanks agmss, as Colleen said, Jack fruit is not the same as durian. They are from the same area, taste very different. I used jackfruit for pulled pork for the fun because Jack fruit pulp is some time used for vegetarian pulled pork. dcarch
    ...See More
  • blizlady
    16 years ago

David, Lucky you to get these morels! They are so very expensive if you have to buy them. We hope to be able to pick some in the wooded area behind our house again this spring. We live in Wisconsin, so we will see them around Mother's Day weekend.

We normally only find enough to make a pot full of cream of mushroom soup. But this year I want to try the breaded and fried mushrooms. Sorry that I don't have a special recipe - I normally just substitute our morels in any recipe that calls for wild mushrooms. I'll try to hunt some up though.

• wizardnm
    16 years ago

Morel season is getting close up here and we are hopeing this year will be extra good since we had so much snow. Guess we will see.

First of all, they should hang in there for a couple of days, but don't wait too long. Don't wash until ready to use. They can be dried if there's too many to use up right away.

I don't like to soak them much more than a minute. They absorb water which can make them too mushy... We always fry the first we find...like Linda says...they are wonderful.

Here's a few recipes.

Sautd Morels with Cream
    15-20 fresh morels or reconstituted dried, cut in half if large
    1 large shallot chopped fine
    1 large clove garlic chopped fine
    2 TBS butter (best with unsalted)
    2 TBS olive oil
    3/4 cup chicken stock
    1 cup heavy cream
    salt & fresh ground pepper to taste
    Put olive oil in heated pan over medium heat. Add garlic and shallots, stir and sauté until softened
    but not brown. Add butter until melted then add morels. Stir and cook until mushrooms start to
    brown, about 4 min. Add chicken stock and cook for 2-3 minutes. Add cream and cook on low
    until reduced and thickened. Classically served on toast, but the best on grilled New York Strip steaks.

We made this soup at the Deli and it was one of our BEST EVER special items that we ever did. Cream of Morel Soup A heavenly soup that will make you want to get back to the woods and feed some more black flies. Ingredients: 3/4 LB fresh morels (more or less to taste and your hunting success) chopped 1 large leek (use everything below the green leaves) 3 medium to small russet potatoes 1 cup chicken stock 1 cup heavy cream 1/2 cup dry white wine 2 TBS butter or mild vegetable oil salt and pepper to taste 2 cups water 1\) Chop off dark green leek leaves and roots. Slice the stem lengthwise and rinse under cold water making sure to remove all grit trapped between layers. Peel and halve potatoes. Add both to soup pot with the water. Boil moderately until quite tender. 20\-30 min. 2\) Heat medium pan over a medium flame. Add butter , morels and a few dashes of salt. Cook morels gently for ~ 15 minutes, making sure they do not dry out. Add a few dashes of wine at a time to keep moist. When nearly done add wine, turn up flame and continue cooking until liquid is almost gone. Add chicken stock and stir until blended. 3\) When potatoes and leeks are tender, remove from heat and blend until smooth. Return to pot. 4\) Add morel mix to potato/leek mixture and simmer very gently, stirring occasionally to avoid scorching. After about 5\-10 minutes, add cream and salt and pepper to taste. Courtesy of (I have no idea whose recipe) \- located in Petoskey, Michigan ...found on the internet.

Morel Risotto
    Serves 5-6
    14 oz. beef broth
    4 tbsp. butter
    1 medium onion
    1 clove garlic
    2 cups of Arborio rice
    1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
    1/2 cup white wine or cooking wine
    Saute the onion, garlic and mushrooms (last) in the butter, add rice and cook for a few minutes.
    Combine beef broth and water to make 6 cups and boil. Stir in mushrooms and slowly add broth
    mixture until all liquid is absorbed. Cook about 20-25 minutes.

Morel Quiche 2 Tbsp. butter 8 oz. morel 6 oz. cheese (Swiss) 3 eggs or egg substitute 1 c cream or light cream 1/2 cup 1% or low fat milk 1 \- 8" to 9" pastry crust Bake in 375 degree oven for 40\-45 minutes. Pastry crust can be purchased or made. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Morel Stuffing 1 cup chicken broth 1/3 cup butter 8 cups dried bread crumbs 2 medium onions celery if desired 1 clove garlic, crushed fresh parsley, sage and thyme to taste \- if using dried, 1 tsp. each will do. You may use a variety of mushrooms, add nuts or other fresh herbs if you desire. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Wild Morel and Fresh Sage Soup Olive oil 2 carrots, sliced into circles garlic to taste 1 medium onion 1 Tbsp. each fresh parsley and sage (dried\-1 tsp.) 3 1/2 cups chicken broth 3 Tbsp. white wine (or cooking wine) Saute veggies and cook down for about 45 minutes. Saute mushrooms and add last. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Angel Hair Pasta with Morels and Asparagus Makes 4 servings 1 lb. fresh angel hair pasta 2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil 1/2 cup sliced green onions (white portion only) 2 cups diagonally sliced fresh asparagus (2\-inch pieces) 1 1/2 quarts fresh morel mushrooms, halved and cleaned 6 Tbsp. cold butter, cut into pieces 2 Tbsp. finely chopped fresh chives 1/2 tsp. black pepper Kosher salt to taste In dutch oven or large saucepan, cook pasta to desired doneness as directed on package. Drain; place in large serving bowl and keep warm. In a large skillet on medium high heat add olive oil and onions; saute for 30 seconds. Add asparagus and saute for 1 minute. Stir in morels and cook 1\-2 minutes or until softened. Drain asparagus\-mushroom mixture reserving juices. Add the mixture to the pasta and return juices to skillet. Cook to reduce by 3/4. Add butter, stirring constantly, until melted. Remove from heat; stir into pasta mixture with chives, pepper and salt. Garnish with chives if desired and serve. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Morel Sauce Makes 2 cups 1 ounce dried Morels 2 tsp. soy sauce 2 cups water 4 Tbsp. finely chopped shallots 2 tsp. minced fresh savory 3 Tbsp. butter 1 1/2 Tbsp. flour 3/4 cup sour cream Place Morels, soy sauce, and water in a sauce pan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 30 to 45 minutes. Remove Morels, keeping liquid. Chop Morels finely. Saute shallots, savory, and Morels in butter for 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in flour and then liquid from reconstituted Morels. Add salt and pepper to taste. Finally add sour cream and heat, but do not boil. Serve over beef, pork, veal, vegetables or noodles. You may substitute Porcini or Chanterelle mushrooms. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Chicken Breasts and Morels Serves 4 as a main course Chicken and morels are beautifully matched, especially when served over pasta and accompanied with a dry white wine. 2 dozen fresh morels, sliced, or 2 ounces dried morels and 1/2 cup heavy cream 1/4 cup flour 4 single chicken breasts, skinned, boned, and pounded flat 5 tablespoons butter 2 tablespoons oil 2 tablespoons brandy 1/4 cup beef broth 1/4 cup heavy cream (use the reserved cream if you have used dried morels) 1/2 teaspoon green peppercorns, crushed 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice Salt and pepper If using dried morels, simmer them in the cream until soft, about 15 minutes. Do not allow to boil. Reserve the cream. Flour the chicken breasts lightly. Heat 2 tablespoons of the butter and the oil in a sauté pan or skillet, and sauté the chicken quickly, about 3 minutes on each side, then remove to a heated pan. Deglaze the pan with brandy. Pour this over the chicken breasts. Place them in a preheated 250º oven while you prepare the sauce. Melt the remaining 3 tablespoons butter in the same pan. Add the morels and cook until they become semi\-dry. Add the beef broth and cream and let it cook down into a sauce. Add the peppercorns, lemon juice, and salt and pepper to taste. Place the chicken breasts on a warm platter and cover with the sauce just before serving. \-\-Louise Freedman ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ROASTED PRAWNS with Morels and Morel Butter This recipe calls for giant 4 1/2\- to 5\-ounce prawns, which can be ordered from some specialty fish markets. If unavailable, substitute 24 large prawns. Ingredients 8 ounces fresh morel mushrooms or 2 ounces dried morel mushrooms\* 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature, divided 3/4 cup chopped divided 1 minced 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh 6 4 1/2\- to 5\-ounce uncooked giant prawns or 24 large prawns Directions Finely chop enough fresh morels or reconstituted morels to measure 1/2 cup (packed); reserve remaining morels. Melt 1 tablespoon butter in medium nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add 1/4 cup shallots and garlic; sauté 1 minute. Add chopped morels and thyme; sauté 2 minutes. If using dried morels, add reserved soaking liquid to skillet, leaving any sediment behind. Increase heat; boil until almost all liquid evaporates, about 8 minutes. Transfer morel mixture to small bowl; cool. Mix remaining 7 tablespoons butter into morel mixture. Season lightly with salt and pepper. (Morel butter can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover and chill.) Using scissors, cut along back shell of each prawn all the way up to tail, exposing vein; pull out vein. Turn prawns over. Using small sharp knife and starting just below tail end, butterfly each prawn by cutting 1/4\-inch\-deep slit to opposite end. Place prawns, shell side down, on rimmed baking sheet. (Can be made 6 hours ahead. Cover; chill.) Preheat oven to 500°F. Melt 2 tablespoons morel butter in heavy large skillet over medium\-high heat. Add remaining 1/2 cup shallots; sauté until golden, about 3 minutes. Add remaining whole fresh morels or reconstituted morels and sauté until tender, about 4 minutes. Meanwhile, spread 1 teaspoon morel butter over each giant prawn (or 1/4 teaspoon over each of 24 large prawns). Roast just until prawns are opaque in center, about 7 minutes for giant prawns or 4 minutes for large prawns. Top prawns with remaining morel butter, dividing equally. Return to oven just long enough to melt butter slightly, about 10 seconds. Transfer prawns to plates. Serve sautéed morels alongside. \*If using dried morels: Bring 3 cups water to boil in medium saucepan. Add dried morels. Remove from heat. Cover; let steep 1 hour. Using slotted spoon, transfer morels to bowl. Reserve soaking liquid. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ I also do some other things with Morels but have no recipe, I just wing it~~~~ These are both served as appetizers Strudel with Morels and Brie... a basic morel filling with chunks of Brie (use leeks in the filling, if desired) Mini Quiche with Morels... Cream cheese pastry and basic quiche filling with chopped morels. Nancy
  • annie1992
    16 years ago

David, you got a great gift indeed, people just love the things. I'm not one of them, but other people do, LOL.

My Dad wants them floured and fried in butter, like LindaC makes them, or just chopped up, sauteed in butter and mixed into scrambled eggs.

I love to hunt for them.

Annie

• sheshebop
    16 years ago

I soak longer than 10 minutes. David, after soaking, you will be shocked at the number of bugs in your water. No big deal. Just drain them off, gently squeeze the shrooms, dust them with flour, and saute them in butter. they are very rich and yummy. Lucky you!
    Sherry

• lsr2002
    16 years ago

Oh David, lucky you, they cost as much as gold at Whole Paycheck.

The first recipe that Nancy posted, Sautéed Morels with Cream is just decadence in a dish, definitely my favorite way to have them. We serve them over flaky biscuits instead of toast. Yum, Yum, YUM!

Lee

• jimster
    16 years ago

What Lee said.

Or sautee and serve with steak. But Lee's preparation, or is it Nancy's, let's the mushroom flavor stand out.

This is timely. Earlier today, my son and I were speculating on the arrival of morels in southern Ohio, where we hunt them. It's one of those great seasonal treats. Some years are better than others. It depends on the weather.

Enjoy morels!

Jim

• KatieC
    16 years ago

Our favorite is chicken fried morels...rolled in egg or dipped in milk and then seasoned flour. With mushroom and onion cream gravy and home fries....mmm.

Last weekend we used some dried soaked morels in this.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Pasta Improv

Recipe By :Katie
    Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Chicken Pasta

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    3 boneless, skinless chicken breast
    halves --cooked
    12 oz bacon -- diced
    1 medium onion -- diced
    2 cups fresh mushrooms -- sliced
    1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
    1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
    16 oz fettucine -- 12 to 16 oz.
    2 cups heavy cream
    1/4 teaspoon liquid smoke flavoring
    1/4 cup parmesan cheese -- grated
    6 cups fresh spinach
    parmesan cheese -- for garnish

Poach or microwave the chicken. Allow to cool enough to handle it. Slice into 1/4" slices or strips. Set aside.

In a large deep skillet brown diced bacon until crisp. Remove and set aside. Drain off all but 2 to 3 tablespoons of the drippings and saute the onion and mushrooms until the onions are soft. Add chicken, garlic and pepper. Start water boiling in a large pot for pasta. If desired add a bit of salt and oil to the water.

To the onion-mushroom-bacon mixture, over medium heat, stir in the cream and liquid smoke seasoning. Bring it to a simmer and let it simmer over low heat, stirring often, until it reduces slightly and thickens to a consistency that will coat the pasta.

Cook pasta and drain in a colander. Working quickly, place the spinach in the still hot but empty pasta pot. Put the hot pasta and the hot cream sauce over the spinach. Toss to mix all ingredients and to slightly cook the spinach.

Serve topped with additional parmesan if desired.

From Dianne W

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Another recipe we like with morels....

* Exported from MasterCook *

Mushroom Crusted Quiche

Recipe By :Katie
    Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Main Dishes Vegetarian

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    3/4 pound mushrooms -- finely chopped
    2 tablespoons butter
    crushed saltine crackers -- 1/2-2/3 cup
    3/4 cup sauteed onion -- or green onion
    2 c monterey jack cheese -- shredded (approx)
    3 eggs
    1 pint cottage cheese
    1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper

Saute mushrooms in butter. Add enough crushed saltines to absorb juice. Press into pie pan.
    Sprinkle crust with onion. Heap jack cheese over onion; don't pack down.
    Whirl eggs, cottage cheese and cayenne in blender. Pour into crust. Bake at 350°F 45 minutes, until a knife comes out clean.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

• lakeguy35
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the recipes Nancy and Katie! Thanks to everyone else too for your comments and input on how to best enjoy these shrooms. Guess I'll fry them up tonight like Linda and others mentioned and enjoy a real treat. If I get lucky and get some more I'll have to try one of the cream based sauces...YUM!

David

• Marilyn Sue McClintock
    16 years ago

Lucky You! We are still hoping to find them again on our place. When we have had too many, I soaked them in salt water a long time, to get rid of bugs and changing the water often then dry and freeze them. This was just a test to see how they would do. They tasted just as good as fresh. I only fry them. That is the way they are done around this area,

Sue

• jimster
    16 years ago

"I have no morels. But you all knew that already. yuk yuk"

Jessy, you crack me up.

Jim

• vicki_lv_nv
    16 years ago

"OMG OMG!!!! They are to DIE for!"

I am with LindaC on this one! I absolutely LOVE them! And I am SO jealous of your gift.

Oh, sometimes, I really miss living in Iowa.