SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
leslie2004

Repair or replace Hotpoint Dryer - 27 years old

leslie2004
14 years ago

Our Hotpoint dryer has worked without problems or repairs for the 13 years we've been in this house and appears to date to 1983 (from serial #).

The other day we smelled a slight burning smell (no smoke) from the top around the control panel.

We checked the vent including all the way out of the house (doesn't have far to go - straight out the wall of 2nd floor laundry closet) and there was no lint build up. Vent flap door outside was working fine; there is no screen on the vent outside only a door.

We thought it was probably better to just get a new one than pay for a service call considering its age but after looking this weekend and doing research here and on Consumer Reports' site I'm frustrated.

The hall closet it's in has size limitations - dryer can't be much deeper than the current one at 25". That leaves very few that will fit - leaning towards Fisher & Paykel front loading model DE60FA.

But CR gives F&P bad ratings in general (altho' we have an F&P washer and love it) and there seem to be a lot of negative comments here.

My main frustration is the quality of the new ones - wow, what a difference. Cheap feeling, plastic parts...just a world apart from the one we have now. I know I'm stating the obvious but they don't make them like they used to.

So after a weekend of research I'm thinking it might be worth it to call out a repair person one time - maybe it's a simple wiring repair in the control panel and we could get a few more years out of it.

Any thoughts?

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations