SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
maconi_gw

Carrier Electric Heat Pump Quote and Options

Maconi
9 years ago

Hello all,

I'll preface this by saying thanks for any and all your advice/input in advance. This entire situation has been a nightmare for me and I'm looking forward to progressing past it but I want to ensure everything is right first (and I know I DEFINITELY can't trust the local businesses to help me with that lol).

First the overview. I bought the house I'm currently living in 4 years ago. The house (and HVAC system) are 8 years old. The house is 2-story 2200 sq/ft. The system is a 3-ton Trane (electric heat pump with electric heat from the air handler). I'm in Lexington, KY (winter temps drop to 10F possibly lower, summer temps rise to 90F possibly higher).

Now for the history. This unit hasn't worked properly since I've moved in (it literally broke down 2 days after we bought the house and moved in). We had a home warranty but honestly I think all the techs they sent broke the system worse and worse each time. It's currently on its fourth compressor (at least 2 of those were killed by inept HVAC techs overcharging it). The other two were killed by a refrigerant leak (supposedly). I have WAY too many thermostats at this point (since every local HVAC business wants to try that first regardless of the history of the unit I provide them with).

So now I'm ready to replace it. I've had a Manual J done on the house and the house/ductwork would be better served by a 3.5ton unit. The intake CFM is 1200 but the output CFM is 1500. I was told either upgrading one of my current 2 intakes from a 14" to a 16" or by adding a third 10" return would match the intake CFM to the output. That's all fine by me because currently the registers feel like they're supplying no air flow (probably due to the drop in static pressure from 1200 to a 1500 CFM capable trunk).

Now for the real question. I've been quoted on a few different brands from a few different businesses but the business that caught my eye the most (due to their awesome service/attitude) offers Carrier units. I'm not loyal to any brand so going from Trane to Carrier doesn't bother me a bit. However, I want to ask you (the pros) your opinion on what Carrier unit/features I should get and how much I should expect to pay for it.

So far the base unit (the lowest I'd want to go) would be a 3.5(ton) Carrier Performance 15(seer) with variable speed. I've been quoted $9000 for the unit and all related services (removing the old air handler/heat pump, installing the new, checking the current copper line set for damage/leaks, etc.). First of all, does that price seem fair/reasonable or am I being ripped off?

Now for the added features. Single-Stage or Two-Stage? Performance or Infinity? Would either of those upgrades make much of a difference in my home?

I know the Performance lacks some of the Infinity sensors, but does the Infinity controller work with the Performance line (granting some of the benefits of the Infinity without the huge price-tag)? Would it even be worth it if it did?

Again, thank you all so much in advance. This has been a grueling 4-year process and I'm looking forward to having a unit that finally works as it should. Let me know if I forgot to provide any details to give an accurate answer.

Comments (8)