SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gw_oakley

Lynn..books...Mary etc.

Oakley
11 years ago

Please please tell my you ordered Allison Weir's "Mary Boleyn: Mistress of Kings." lol. I went to my library to see what books I had on Mary, then I went to see if Allison had written any, and I'll be darned, she did last year and I missed it! Of course I had to order the book!

You will love her writing style....if that's the book you ordered.

If you find this book good, like I said in the other topic, get AW's book, "The Six Wives of Henry VIII." You will want to read every book ever written on the subject, whether it's factual history or historical fiction.

Comments (12)

• lynninnewmexico
    11 years ago

That's the book, Oakley, "Mary Boleyn: Mistress of Kings"! DD had actually been communicating with the author, Allison Weir, about this book before it was even published because, as I'd mentioned earlier, she and DH are related to Mary through her daughter, Catherine. DD, of course, had the book right away. She left it home when she headed to college so that I could read it. DH talked me into reading one he'd just finished first, though, "Playing For Pizza". What a waste of my time, that was!
    Thanks for the heads-up on the rest of AW's books.
    Lynn

• Oakley
    Original Author
    11 years ago

OMG, your daughter talked to Allison?? I'm her No. 1 fan! lol.

I couldn't believe I missed her book on Mary. What a treat it was to find it!

I'm reading her newest book that came out on Oct. 2nd: "A Dangerous Inheritance: A Novel of Tudor Rivals and the Secret of the Tower."

The "secret" of the tower are about the two young Prince's, one who was King that supposedly Richard III murdered so he could become King. To this day, no one knows what really happened to them but all fingers point to Richard. Their bones were found in the tower.

The book kind of juxtaposes (sp) between the 1400's and the 1500's (about two Katherines) & including Elizabeth I. Even though it's historical fiction, she keeps all the accuracies of events that happened.

She's an addicting author! Just like Victoria Holt was for me when I was in high school and my 20s. lol.

Can you tell I'm OBSESSED? I better shut up now before I turn you off. :)

One more thing, heh, have you seen "The Other Boleyn Sister?" It's totally inaccurate but an ejoyable movie none the less.

• Oakley
    Original Author
    11 years ago

ooops! One more thing. Take a look at Hever Castle on Google Earth, that's where Mary grew up. It will blow you away!

• runninginplace
    11 years ago

Oakley, have you read Wolf Hall and Bring up the Bodies yet? They are both BRILLIANT evocations of the Tudor age. And, Hilary Mantel just won an unprecedented second Booker prize for Bring Up the Bodies last week, after winning for Wolf Hall a few years ago. Amazing reads.

I'm in the middle of BUTB now and trying hard to read slowly and savor the experience.

What did you think of them if you've already read the books?

Ann

• Oakley
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ann, Wolf Hall has been on my list to read. What is Mantel's writing style like? Is she easy to understand?

I ask because when I read a book on the Tudor era by a male author, I just roll my eye's & sometimes have to put the book away. lol.

Have you read other books on the subject? Off to watch the grands today, so I'll be back tonight! I love talking Tudors! :)

• lynninnewmexico
    11 years ago

Oh, good, more books to put on my reading list . . . thanks!

I read all of Victoria Holt/Phillipa Carr's books way back when, too. Loved them! I very much dislike the sappiness and predictability of most romance novels, my favorite reads being biographies and (un-slutty) autobiographies. But I do like historical novels by good writers if the story is interesting and the historical details fairly accurate
    Lynn

• runninginplace
    11 years ago

Oakley, Wolf Hall is a literary book, as is Bring up the Bodies. And yes, I am being a book snob here but Hilary Mantel's work is in a much higher league from the romance-novel-set-in-Tudor-England genre of all the Victoria Holt/Phillipa Car type writers. WH especially is dense; you have to read slowly and carefully, but it's such a joy to do so because the writing is so very, very good. I don't care for the popular romance versions of Anne Boleyn/King Henry and associated other characters (Mary, later wives etc) be they book, tv or movie. I find the actual history much more interesting and absorbing. Who could possibly have come up with a fictional version of a 16th century king's life that would equal the facts of Henry VIII's?!

If you like the Tudors (not the romance novel aspect but the Tudors as historical figures and the milieu of their England and Europe), another good read is Winter King, a biography of Henry VII. He was the founder of the Tudor dynasty and a very interesting figure. Last king of England to take the throne by battle, for instance. Antonia Fraser also wrote a good book 'The Wives of Henry VIII'. She's always fun to read; her books are well researched but have lots of details to put a human touch on these historical figures.

Have fun back in merry 'ol...
    Ann

• Oakley
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ann, I don't read romance novels. Except for Victoria Holt's when I was very very young. You must be confusing Weir with the writing style like Holt, etc.

Allison Weir is a historian & writes both non-fiction and fiction based on fact, aka historical fiction, sans any made-up romance. Nothing sappy about her books. lol I think people get confused when they hear "historical fiction" and automatically think it's just romantic fluff. Weir's historical fictions are based on the factual happenings during the time while adding story to it, but doesn't guess on any history.

I read both types of her books because the pre-Tudor and Tudor era's are so convoluted & she is considered one of the best historians on the Tudors.

I would add Weir to being a literary author even though she hasn't won the Booker prize. As a lot of authors haven't.

Speaking of Antonia Frazer, I have her book about Marie Antoinette sitting on the shelf ready to be read! So many books, so little time! :)

Lynn, I love biographies and auto-biographies also. Lately I've been reading books on politics between my Tudor books. lol

• lynninnewmexico
    11 years ago

Same here, I haven't read any Victoria Holt since my early-twenties. But I did love her books back then.
    I picked up a coffee table book on authentic European costumes years ago that I like to refer to sometimes when reading historical books. I enjoy being able to visualize the kinds of clothing they refer to. I also enjoy getting online and pulling up pics of the countryside, homes, etc. as they might have been at that time. Love the internet for that reason!

• runninginplace
    11 years ago

Oakley, Alison Weir isn't a historian. She has no academic background, never did anything professionally as a historian and admits to being a writer of 'popular history'. I dipped into a couple of excerpts of her writing and yes, it's basic historical romance stuff. One distinction, for me, is that she writes with a modern perspective using a historical framework. The books are set from the viewpoint of our culture, not the Tudors. 'Real' historians try to show us what that world was like for the people living in it, not through the lens of 21st century culture.

Different strokes, etc. But I just prefer something more challenging in this context at least. Although as one who got sucked right into the Song of Ice and Fire saga, I certainly can't claim that I don't enjoy reading popular historical-based fiction. Actually, if you haven't checked that series out, the author George R.R. Martin, has said he based it on medieval European history, specifically the York/Lancaster period. Those books are addictive! You might really enjoy them as well. They have some fantasy literature touches but not much and very well done, IMO.

Ann

• Oakley
    Original Author
    11 years ago

We have all of Martin's books.

My problem with your argument (which is a friendly one!) is you are assuming Weir writes romance novels when she doesn't.

You said, "Who could possibly have come up with a fictional version of a 16th century king's life that would equal the facts of Henry VIII's?!"

That kind of bit because that's not how Weir writes. Mantel also writes historical fiction. Does that mean Wolf Hall is a romance novel? No.

Have you read any of Weir's non-fiction? She stays with fact and questions a lot of theories, because nobody really knows the dialogue back then, but both authors make up their own dialog & speculate in order to tell story.

Weir may not have an academic background but that doesn't mean she's not a historian. She is labeled a Historian by others. I'm aware she's said she writes popular history, but that doesn't negate the fact she telling us what happened back then.

Anyway, enough with "My author is better than your author." LOL.

Lynn, when I'm reading I keep my iPad next to me so I can look up names and places. I keep Google Earth on England. :)

In highschool one of my "dead" classes was being Library Assistant, and the Librarian is the one who turned me onto Holt. Which led to the Tudor era.

BTW, did you see Hever Castle on G.E.?

• denali2007
    11 years ago

I also read every Victoria Holt book in my 20's!