SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
leafy02

Am I a Crazy Curmudgeon? Kids and Dress Clothes

leafy02
10 years ago

I feel like stores today provide 150% of the athletic and casual clothing that children would ever need, but almost no dress clothes.

For the second time in my nearly two decades as a parent, we just had an 'emergency' need for dress clothes to attend a funeral. Two days to outfit three kids.

Last time, it was awful. I went to a large suburban mall and could not find ONE dress that was appropriate. If my tween DDs had had job interviews at Hooters, we would have been all set. But a tasteful, age-appropriate dress in a dark blue, gray, green or even a medium color? No. Not one.

I had to send the girls to the funeral in black pants. It was awful.

Today, I went to the mall and three other stores to assemble the following for a 10 year old boy: dress shoes, belt, button-down, dress pants, tie. I wanted a sweater or sweater vest, but none were to be had. It's OCTOBER and the woman at one department store told me they "might" get sweater vests in the fall. Um.....mid-October is fall.

The store that sold dress shirts and ties had no sweaters at all--only blazers, and they only had about six of those in stock, none his size. They had no dress belts.

The store that had dress pants had no belts and no shoes. The store that had shoes had no belts.

I went to two stores that had no dress clothes for boys at all--although they each had lots of boys' clothes appropriate for skateboarding and lots of dresses for girls.

Is it me, or do stores really no longer carry 'dress' clothes all the time? With more than 2 days to prepare, I could lay in a good supply shopping online, but with a son who grows out of stuff as fast as I can buy it, it never occurred to me to buy dress clothes he otherwise won't wear, "just in case". Now, I am tempted to buy dress pants and a button down in every potential size just so I never have to relive this miserable day!

Comments (11)