SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
midstate_gw

Need advice on New AC and Furnace

midstate
13 years ago

My husband died a few years ago of cancer at 51 and I really don't know what I am doing so any help would be appreciated. (To add to everything my hot water tank went bad last week! When it rains it pours...)

Any idea on what I should look for in the Heating and AC units? Anything I should ask them? I have a 2,000 sf ranch home in Wisconsin. I want a well made units. Lennox and Carrier are coming today to give quotes as well as the Bryant quote below. I would really like to get more than 14 years out of the next units.

My AC is leaking freon (they put 3 lbs a month ago and it's not working again) Now they say that to "fix" the AC it will be $500 to $600 and freon units are being discontinued. (This unit is 14 years old)

My furnace wasn't working well in the spring but I was letting this go till the end of summer. Looks like a major repair (pilot valve?) as well so I'm looking into replacing both since there are rebates and tax credits until the end of the month. (unit is 14 years old)

The first quote ( 2 options )

1st option:

Furnace Bryant Plus 95s 355 CAV 80,000 btu input

3 stage variable speen natural gas $3,600 (includes removing old furnace, duct, electrical and gas piping, white rogers If80-361 Digital set back)Limited warranty on Heat exchanger 10 year parts 10 year labor.

AC Bryant 163A 2 1/2 ton Puron AC 13 seer (includes removing old unit, 2 1/2 ton new evap coil, condenser pad, all electrical, drain lines and fittings. 10 year on compressor 10 year parts 1 years labor $2,500

This option has 2- $150 rebates and one $1080 tax credit

Option 1 totals $4720 after rebates and tax credit

2nd option:

Same furnace as above with an Evolution Control Thermostat $3,900

AC Bryant 187B 3 ton puron 16 seer 2 speed (includes remove old syst, New 3 ton evap coil, condenser pad, all electrical, drain lines and fittings 10 year parts 1 year labor. $4,400

Total price for both systems in option 2 is $8,300

Option 2 Rebates and Tax credit

Bryant Bonus Rebate 1,000 Energy rebate 250.00 Tax Credit 1,500

Option 2 totals $5,550 after rebates and tax credit.

Comment