SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
roszyquilt

Install Slate Mini-Brick- Need How To Help

roszyquilt
16 years ago

I have finally settled on a backsplash after 6 months of looking and drooling over all the beautiful ones posted here. It is a slate mini-brick 1x2 on a plastic mesh backing. For a decorative focal point we are using some 2" diamond slate also mounted on mesh with some liner(not stone) pieces. My DH is going to install. He has laid tile before but never stone and never anything on mesh. He is apprehensive. Here is what I think I know, any help/ tips would be much appreciated. This is being applied on painted sheetrock. About 48sqf so sorta long run.

Use Thinset not mastic--What trowel should he use? Only backbutter if needed? Can use screws to help hold sheets in place until set. They are fairly heavy with that slate.Do we need to rough up the paint surface in anyway?

We were planning on buying a inexpensive 7" wet saw to make cuts. Will that make cuts okay for this job? Renting is not really an option for us on this DIY whenever have time job.

After tile up and set/dry, apply sealer/enhancer to slate. I am unclear about this. This would really help with grout release. Grout release is a concern. Tiles are small and rough. Grout lines are very small also(1/8). DH is most concerned about the grouting. If I do before grout, then I will have to do again after grout to seal grout.

Grout with sanded grout? Best way, I am not sure. Because of mesh backing, grout lines(1/8) are not that even/consistant on the mesh and the slate sometimes has different thickness. DH wonders if a brick is not positioned correctly on the mesh if he should pull it off and position right when thinsetting to make grout lines more even.? I think that sounds very time consuming, so why have on mesh? Will it really be that noticable when all up and finished? Should we use a bag to grout to minimize grout all over the slate?

After grout has set, hopefully with not ruining the slate, seal everthing again with same Miracle Seal & Enhance.

I am planning on using Miracle Seal & enhance, although tile manufa recommend TileLab but I cant find it. Any thoughts?

Is Custom Polyblend grout(from HD) okay or should I try to get some other brand?

Any advice is very much appreciated. Thanks, May

Comments (11)