SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sunnysocal

First Time Air in 1920's House

sunnysocal
15 years ago

My small english cottage-style 1928 house currently has gravity heat with no a/c. There's one heat supply register in each room that's fed by asbestos covered ducts from the heater in the basement. I'm finally breaking down and getting central air and heat. It's going in the basement as I want the attic clear so I can finish it off one day and also I don't like the idea of putting holes for new registers in my period ceilings.

I seem to have two choices and could really use some advice. One company wants to use the existing registers in each room from my gravity heater (13"W x 9"L) as the supply registers and put a large return register in the hallway. The other company says this is not efficient and wants to put one new floor supply register in each bedroom and two floor supply registers in the living room and use the old registers in each room as return registers. I'm not crazy about putting registers in the hardwood floor under the latter scenario but this sounds like it's a better choice for adequate cooling in our very hot summers. Both company's estimates are just under $10K. I don't want to pay this much and not have the house adequately cooled (first concern) and heated (lesser concern). The gravity heater comes out either way.

My priorities are efficient cooling and minimal defacing of the inside of the house.

Any suggestions? Anything else I should consider?

Thanks in advance!

Comments (2)