SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jyyanks_gw

Help-Rented a house for a mini vaca and owner is now MIA

jyyanks
14 years ago

Hi,

I am hoping you can help me with a situation.

Back in the beginning of August, I inquired about renting a house that I saw advertised on cyberrentals for a weekend getaway with my family. The house had 6 positive reviews (most had none), some as recently as June 2009.

I sent an email to the owner and she was very responsive. Within a week I mailed her a check with my deposit and told her to contact me when she received it. I didn't hear back from her right away so I emailed her about a week later and asked if she received my deposit and told her to send me a letter agreement.

She replied saying that she forgot to ask for a security deposit (she would not cash in the security deposit unless there was actual damage to the house). A couple of days later I gave her my security deposit, she confirmed receipt via email, and then said she would mail me the lease agreement.

2 weeks passed and I didn't see or hear anything. At the time I noticed that the balance for the rental was past due so I sent the balance and told her to confirm receipt once more. That was on Sept 15.

I did not receive a phone call or email back so today I picked up the phone and left a message at her house saying that I wanted to follow up since the vacation was coming up soon and I had not heard anything from her or received any paperwork. I am a little concerned as its been quite a while and I haven't heard a peep from her. Our vacation is supposed to start Oct 2. As of today I have nothing except her email address and phone number.

Do I call her again, threaten legal action, or wait some more??? I am so disappointed as I have rented vacation homes before and have never had this type of experience. Frankly I am so surprised as she had positive feedback and she was very responsive in the beginning. Maybe something happened?

I would love your advice on what you think I should do.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Comments (10)

Sponsored
M&Z Home Services LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Established Home Remodeling Expert Since 2012