SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
robin_dc

wwyd party hosting Q

robin_DC
12 years ago

I'm hosting a baby shower for a friend next weekend, and have nearly completed the planning & shopping. My friend's sister (who lives out of town) contacted me recently, and offered to contribute a specific (not insubstantial) sum towards the cost. I fully intended, and can afford, to foot the bill myself, and I didn't expect anyone to volunteer to contribute. My kneejerk reaction was to say 'no, but thank you,' but then I remembered that I was miffed when a different friend refused my offers to help with the cost of a mutual friend's shower last year (although that was a more complicated situation for reasons not relevant to this post). Having been in the situation of wanting to help, but being told no, I know that even a polite 'no' may frustrate or bother the sister. In addition, this is not a cheap party (it will probably be a few hundred including food & decorations). I am having trouble deciding what to do/how to respond.

My question is--- would it be tacky/poor form to accept the offer (wording the acceptance to indicate that I'm happy to cover all the costs and don't expect any assistance), or does etiquette dictate that I politely decline?

Comments (10)