SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gwer2007

Inserts/sash-packs Q

12 years ago

As my other thread has turned into quite a different discussion, I am starting a new one. (Wink)

FTR: I KNOW that "you don't get what you did not pay for" but the only thing I don't want is - like one of the posters said - not getting what I DID pay for. :-)

I'd like to leave the money issue out of it this discussion b/c it is sort of irrlevant as the inserts are less expensive than full windows and I can afford all or most of them.

BG: Looks ARE important but not the only consideration. However, being wood is NOT important as I am going to paint the windows anyway. That is being able to paint the interior is very important.

I do live in the Sunbelt, so it is very hot and humid here, as well as quite windy.

Another "window guy" came over to our house and said we did NOT need a full-window replacement b/c out frames were in a good shape. He has been in this business for more than 20 years and knows all the windows around here.

Yes, I know that many experts (including some on this board) prefer full-tear replacements. However, that is an entirely different conversation and let's just assume (for this discussion) that he is right. My questions are:

1. Would you recommend a sash-replacement (like Marvin Tilt Pac) or an insert replacement?

2. Vinyl, PVC, or fiberglass?

3. I have gotten two somewhat conflicting inputs about vinyl here:

A) There are "paint-able" vinyls as well as paints for vinyl;

B) Painted vinyl would not look good in a year or so.

So, I am confused and need clarifications from both parties who support one or the other opinion. Please?

4. It is my understanding that vinyl or fiberglass inserts will result in (quite substatial) glass loss. While I am not concerned much about the glass itself, I AM concerned about the overall looks. Would that look a little wierd?

5. As I understand, there are companies that specialize in PVC insert (or sash) replacements and have them available for all (previously) standard wood windows. Wouldn't that solve the problem with glass loss?

6. If they were YOUR windows, WWYD?

Thank you for yout time!

Comments (10)