SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dallasite_gw

evaporator coil condensate leaking through ceiling

dallasite
16 years ago

We've been in a '91 house for 6 yrs, and the 4ton AC unit has a '98 Dallas First coil, Trane XE1000 10 SEER outdoor compressor, and the original '91 Lennox furnace.

When we bought the house, the inspector told us that the secondary pan was rusted so my husband took a plastic box and drilled a hole to connect it to the pvc draining to the outside. His box didn't quite cover the footprint of the evap coil, and recently we got a wet ceiling and found the back end of the coil box was leaking as well. My husband found the pan inside the evap housing was rusted through, and the service guy charged us almost $100 just to tell us the same thing and that he can't repair the pan and we need a new coil and furnace which he noticed was rusting.

The AC unit is cooling fine, and I don't see why we can't get an inner pan made out of plastic to make the coil last a few more seasons when other parts of the system break, too, so we can replace everything with a matching system (before 2010 when puron system is required).

As nice as having a complete new system sounds in energy savings, etc. what should we do? Pay $1,450(?!)-$2,800(!!) for a new coil, find somebody willing to fit a plastic pan in, or just epoxy the pan until the unit dies? Could other catastrophes come out of not replacing the "working" coil? We replaced the coil on our 3 ton unit last year for $880 because it was leaking freon, so why have prices gone up so much? I know the 4 ton should cost more, but 65% more?

Comments (5)