SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mojomom_gw

What a great trip!

mojomom
11 years ago

DH and I just returned home Tuesday from a wonderful 10 days in Steamboat Springs, Co. with our daughter and her husband. My Mom even flew out for a few days over Christmas. It was a great trip and a wonderful family time. The top 10:

1. Left home in a whirlwind. Literally. About 1:25 the morning before we left, an isolated small (EF1)tornado passed right over our neighborhood. We lost electricity and some shingles and had to finish packing up in the dark pre-dawn.

2. Arrived to a winter wonderland -- best snow in several years -- and it snowed most of the time we were there. Mom loved just sitting in the living room and watching it snow outside.

3. DH had knee replacement surgery last and was really, really pleased at how great it felt to be skiing again and how well he skied.

4. I love the sweet little church we visit when in town -- very active, vibrant and warm.

5. Christmas day was a wonderful family day. We gave the men a "Powder Day" hall pass to go to the slopes for a couple of hours while the women (DD, Mom and I) watched the snowfall and prepared brunch. After brunch DD and I joined them for a few runs while Mom watched turkey and made her Christmas phone calls. Skiing on Christmas Day is awesome and it is truly special to still have my Mom enjoy the family time with us.

6. Our dogs (a 16 yr. old and a 2 yr. old) and DD's dog (9) got along well. Our old girl can't climb the stairs anymore, but surprised us by venturing out in the snow to play with the boys. Our Husky boy and DH went on long walks in the snow. It sometimes can get crowded in a house with 5 adults and 3 big dogs, but I wouldn't trade it for anything.

7. Our DD is a true joy and we are lucky to have such a wonderful son-in-law. I was more than a bit pleased when DD and DH decided to take a bar break and my SIL turned to me and said, "let's go ski." Both are warm, loving kids, responsible and hardworking, and everywhere we go they have great friends. I think they know everyone in town.

8. Fine dining. We ate in most of the time, but we did venture out to our favorite "fine dining" restaurant one night and had our favorite server. Sounds awful, but the "bacon and peanut butter sandwich" apps were to die for (not really bacon, more of a slow roasted pork and a Thai peanut sauce on a quarter of raison bread). We also had lunch one day at our favorite restaurant on the slopes -- not your typical ski area cafeteria or bar, but a nice Scandinavian restaurant with wonderful views and great food.

1. The last run of the trip. We have a favorite run that heads back down to the base area. It is a steep black (difficult) run, but when you can catch it groomed and un-crowded, it is divine. It had been freshly groomed the night before and we caught it at just the right moment and had it all to ourselves. Pure bliss.

10. Our trip ended as it began with weather problems. We had the usual snow and snow-packed roads over the pass leaving town which is to be expected and kind of fun, but we ran into a lot of snow on 1-70 in eastern Colorado and through Kansas. Not fun. We ended up having to back-up our reservations 3 times and only made it half as far as we intended. That made for a long drive the next day.

We feel truly blessed and although we are back to work and reality today, we know we are very lucky. I really enjoy this forum and although I don't post often, I want to say thanks to those who keep it active and Happy New Year to all.

Comments (7)