SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
s8thrd

Hydronic v electric toe kick heater (different scenario)

s8thrd
14 years ago

There is a thread from last year on hydronic v electric toe kick heaters. We are facing a similar issue, but with a different situation.

Our contractor has proposed 2 hydronic toe kicks, in the kitchen and nearby bath. The issue is: we have steam heat. So, we have a boiler to draw the hot water from. But, we do not have circulating water, so that whole system will have to be set up.

The rule of thumb seems to be: if you have hot water heat, do hydronic. If you don't have a boiler, do electric. What if you have a boiler, but not a hot water system? Which option makes more sense then?

To me, the pros I see of electric are:

1) cheaper install (I assume), and

2) would permit 2 separate thermostats, since the units are in two very different rooms -- the small bath (where it's the only heat source) and kitchen/sitting area (where it supplements a steam radiator).

(The contractor has proposed a thermostat location which is not really in either toe kick area -- outside the bathroom door -- which makes no sense to me. If you were going hydronic, where would you put it?)

The big pro I see for hydronic is the lower cost to run. Does anybody know just how big that difference is (as in, with a ballpark dollar figure) under this sort of scenario? (We're in NJ.)

Our contractor has never raised the electric option. I don't know if this is just because the original plan was for a baseboard in the bath, or what.

Any thoughts welcome!

Comment (1)