SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wmmallette

Carrier packaged unit

wmmallette
9 years ago

I have a Carrier packaged a/c-heat unit. It is electric for the a/c and natural gas for the heat. The model number on the sticker is 48GP-060115321TP, serial number 0305G21384. I attached a photo of the sticker on the outside of the unit.

Last summer when it started getting hot in the summer, it started having trouble keeping up with the heat. we had it serviced. the guy came and cleaned it really well and made sure the coolant levels were ok. He said he added a little coolant but not much. He said it was super dirty. After that worked great all summer. We have never had any heating issues with it. We live in MIssissippi and have lived here for 3 years, but according to the a/c repairman the unit is 9 years old, which to me doesnt sound old. I could not find an exactv match for the full model number, but the 48GP has a lot of info online stating that the SEER is around 12 or 13.

Anyway, we have the same problems this summer as it is heating up. The unit cant keep up after about 10 am until the sun starts setting in the evening. Same a/c repairman came and said the coil needs replacing. Installed, he quoted ~$1100 for the coil, but said he would not put that much into a 9 year-old system. He quoted $3500 for a new Rheem 5-ton unit installed to replace this one. I have no idea yet what model Rheem, but will know tomorrow.

My initial question is: Would you simply replace the coil at that price or should I consider a new system, even if I don't go with the one suggested by this guy?

I have no idea of quality of units between one brand to another, and I have no brand loyalty. All I know is for the majority of the day, my wofe and kids are hot and I dont want it to stay that way. However, I dont want to waste money either. Humidity levels make the heat here worse that in other areas of the country. My house is just over 2500 square feet, single level with one main trunk line running the length of the house with branches coming off to the rooms.

If you would would look for a new unit, but not use Rheem, please put your recommendations. If I can provide additional info that wouyld help, let me know and I will.

Help!

This post was edited by MickeyM1449 on Tue, May 27, 14 at 23:14

Comments (12)