SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sweet_home_gw

Sealing home air leaks

sweet_home
14 years ago

Hope the folks in this forum can give me some suggestions/tips.

We moved into our current house 3 yrs back and have always found the house to be quite cold during the winter months with the furnace running every 5 minutes. Decided to fix the problem now and did a home energy audit. The audit revealed typical air leaks in the house along with inadequate attic insulation(which we expected to hear). The company which gave us the bid is suggesting to remove the existing Fiberglass + cellulose insulation, seal all the air leaks in the attic and blow in new insulation for our 2000 sq ft single level home. This sounds like a nice idea but looks like their bid is very high($8500 to do this job !!!). Another company gave a very reasonable quote to add insulation($1700 to bring up insulation from R-19 to R-38) on top of what we already have. I have a couple of questions:

1. Is it that important to fix the air pockets and seal the leaks in the attic before adding any new insulation?

We are also concerned about the indoor air quality.

2. My son has allergies. Is removing attic insulation

a good idea as I am assuming that it is going to be very messy how much ever careful they are going to be.

Can a general contractor/handyman fix the air leaks in the attic and crawlspace? The company has quoted $1800 just to fix the leaks in the crawlspace. This seems to be on the higher side as well but then we have no clue about the typical rates for doing insulation/air leak sealing work.

What would be a reasonable rate?

BTW, We live in Northern CA. Thanks in advance for any pointers.

Comments (17)

Sponsored
John Romans Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full Service, Turn-Key Construction & Design Company