SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sunnyco

Bread Machine Help

sunnyco
14 years ago

I posted this because I thought I was in the cooking forum, but I was in the KITCHEN forum, and someone kindly and gently told me to come here. I am copying and pasting the post here. I hope this is not some TOS violation or something...

It's been a while since I have been here! I looked for the cookware forum, which is where I thought this should go, but I didn't see it right off, so I am posting it here.

My mother-in-law bought me a bread machine about 15 years ago, and I promptly gave it to a friend because I was a stay-at-home mom at the time, and was into making my own breads by hand, and I loved the whole process and didn't have any use for the machine. Now, I am too busy for making my own bread and have been thinking I would like to have one for a while now, but due to personal circumstances could not afford one. A couple of weeks ago I bought a Toastmaster Bread and Butter Maker machine for $5 at a garage sale!

I found some instructions online, and it says that it makes up to a 2 lb loaf, with up to approximately 4 cups of flour. Now, I have been experimenting, and so far, not a lot of luck. The person I bought it from told me that she used the Krusteaz mixes with success, so I bought one just to try. It worked, but the loaf was a little small and didn't fill up the pan. Also, while I might resort to a mix once in a while, I wasn't that thrilled with ingredients of the mix, or the bread that came out of it. I would like to be able to make a variety of breads, with whole wheat/white mixtures, or sweeter breads, or white bread... I just can't seem to get it right!

I made one recipe that called for 4 cups of white flour, and I thought that would be safe, but it puffed all up and glooped over the sides of the pan, filling about the top third of the cavity, and the bread was a total failure. It took me several days to clean it up.

Today I tried using the idea out of the Ratio cookbook. 5 parts flour, to 3 parts liquid by weight, as a starter. I used about 3/4 cup of WW flour + the remainder of the 500 grams of flour was about 2 2/3 cups and three teaspoons of vital wheat gluten. So, we're under 4 cups still. I added 300 grams of water, a couple of tablespoons of softened butter, 2 1/4 teaspoons of dry yeast, a small handful of sugar...

I did this during the day, while I am home, instead of at night like before, so I could keep an eye on it. I am glad I did.

On the first rising, it lifted the lid. I pinched off a good chunk of the dough, and let it "punch" down, then during the second rising I checked again. It was lifting the darned lid!

I pinched off a big old chunk of the dough, and started the whole thing over again. The machine thinks it has dry ingredients, so it is stirring it again. Why do I have this fear that this dough is going to keep growing at a faster rate each time, and that I will have all of the torn off hunks in the freezer and they will add up to more than what I originally put in the thing? :p

What I want is some recipes that I can make up and put in baggies or jars, so that I can add the liquid, butter mix and some yeast at night and just forget it. I am having a hard time here. Are the instructions just wrong about the size of the loaf? Am I using too much of something? Like I said before, I don't want to spend hours messing with this every time. If I had time to do that, I would just make the bread by hand.

Any suggestions? Any knowledge of this particular machine? Any sanity anyone is willing to pass along? I am starting to feel like I could sure use some. :)

Comments (13)