SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dearjimmy65

Diagnosing my Mothers AC problem?

dearjimmy65
14 years ago

I'm a newbie here so Hello! I'm trying to diagnose a problem with my moms condenser. When my mom turned on her AC for the first time this season she knew enough to listen for the outside unit to turn on. When all she heard was a hum she turned it off. When I looked at it she turned the thermostat to AC and the hum was coming from the condenser motor area. If the compressor was locked up would the fan run? How about if the fan was locked up the compressor should still run? She turned it off. When off I tried to spin the fan blade and it seemed like corrosion was making it tight. As I undid the motor wires I got a slight jolt from a motor wire. Should there still have been power even when the thermostat was in the off position? Maybe that was left over power from the capacitor? It's a 25 year old Trane 2 ton unit with a GE 1/8 HP, 230V, 1550 RPM motor. There wasn't a seperate capacitor on the outside of the motor so I'm assuming it's either before where I unhooked the wire nuts or inside the motor.

Am I correct in thinking that I should have heard the compressor running even though the fan wasn't? The only breaker for the whole AC unit is a double pole. Since some power was getting there to make the motor hum I doubt the double pole breaker would let power to the moter and not the compressor. When my mom turned off the breaker the volts that the wire was reading (used a multimeter to test) went away. I did not try to turn the breaker back on to try it again. My question is are the compressor and motor on the same circuit? If the motor was getting power then the compressor should have too. Is it possible to turn off my own drier outlet(240v) and use pigtails running to the now loose motor to test the condenser motor (230v)? The fan blade is off, the motor spins freely now and I will secure it. Will using a 110v power wire for a few seconds to test the motor burn up the 230V motor. Maybe 110v won't budge a 230v motor. I'm wondering if I could use that to at least test it because that would be safer. Once I find if the motor works then I'll reinstall it and see if turning the breaker on brings things back to life. Thanks for all your help!!!

Comments (12)