SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
billwin01

New Evaporator Coil & Condenser - Please Help

billwin01
9 years ago

Hello - looking for some help here!

2300 sq ft house, 2 AC zones - split system (I believe they're called) - one is new, one is old. The upstairs evaporator coil and condenser were replaced about a year ago by the previous home owner.

Now ... Start of the summer season and I noticed that the downstairs AC wasn't cooling below 80 degrees as it got hotter in the day. Checked air temp from the vent and was only a 10 degree split. Called our Home Warranty company which scheduled a local company to come out and they found a leak in the evap coil (in garage). Home warranty company says they will replace the evap coil but not the outside condenser.

So my options are:

1) Replace evap coil and leave current condenser (costs me no money out of pocket) - but I'm told if the condenser goes out (it is original unit, 16 years old), I would need to replace condenser and the evap coil again. Roughly $5k.

2) Replace the evap coil and the condenser with a new 410a unit. I am being quoted $2,440 for a 3 ton Bryant 410a unit. The home warranty company is paying for the evap coil replacement - so no cost to me on that.

Questions:

Does all of this sound correct? And how is the pricing on the Bryant unit at $2,440? I called around to a few places and they don't seem to give any pricing unless you have them come out to the house.

The unit that was replaced a year ago by the previous owner is a Rheem unit - does it matter if the two zones are different brands? Is Rheem better than Bryant or should I be looking at anything different?

Any feedback on the best way to proceed?

Thanks to anyone who can help!!

Comments (13)